SBE Slug barrel twist rate

Wishbone

Hi! Does anyone know the twist rate of the SBE slug barrel? I have one and am not getting very good patterns with rifled slugs from it. I know that it's made to shoot sabots, so is the twist rate too fast for rifled slugs? I have a 2X-7X Leupold scope on the gun,and not using the iron sights. Should I use sabots only? Thanks smile.gif

The twist rate is 1-in-28 for the SBE. Looks like we have the same set up. I would suggest sabot slugs only for a rifled barrel. I've read that a rifled slug through a rifled barrel will screw up the aerodynamics by cutting into the shape of the slug that was designed to spin on its own. I'm in the process of finding my "magic" slug and will let you know which one works the best. Unfortunately it seems to spray the Core-Lokts.

Thanks for the reply 69Beers. I guess I'll have to go with the sabots, as i believe the rifled slugs are spinning too fast and giving the poor patterns. I guess I was trying to save some $$. The Federal Barnes Expanders I wanted to use initially are $10 a box. So, back to the drawing board! Thanks for the info and let me know if you find a load that works well for you. smile.gif

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

HAPPY HUNTING

GREG

Have you killed anything with the Fed 2 3/4" yet? If so, what, how far away, and how was the expansion/devistation? Also, are you shooting the 1 oz or the 3/4 oz slugs? I will try these at the range ASAP since OH deer season opens in less than two weeks.

I'll have to try the barnes 2 3/4". Like you, I've tried ALMOST every slug. So far the best I've found have been the Winchester Partition Gold, Winchester Platinum, Lightfield Hybred EXP, and the Hornady H2K Heavy Mag. All shot 2-4" groups at 100 yards, with the Lightfields being the most accurate. The least accurate have been the Remington Core-Lokt and the Lightfield Commander 3".

One thing I have done to help imrove my accuracy is have my trigger adjusted by Allen Timney. He took out the creep and reduced the pull down to three pounds. He only charges $65 and covers it for life.

I JUST FINISHED THIS RESEARCH LAST SUNDAY. I AM GOING OUT THIS SATURDAY TO HUNT. LIKE YOU I DID TRY THE WINCHESTER AND THEY PERFORMED VERY POORLY. I USED THE FEDERAL 2 3/4 WHICH IS THE SMALLER 3/4 OZ. AND THEY WERE AWESOME. I HAVE NOT KILLED ANYTHING YET BUT DO THE MATH 1900 FEET PER SECOND 3/4 OZ ITS A WINNER. IT IS FUNNY IN MY BROWNING GOLD THE WINCHESTERS ARE PERFECT. JUST SO WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE I TAKE ALOT OF PRIDE IN SHOOTING WELL. THE ADVISE OF THE FEDERAL CAME FORM CABELAS, THERE SHOOTING DIVISION WAS THE ONE THAT TURNED ME ON TO THEM.

GREG

Originally posted by Wishbone:

Hi! Does anyone know the twist rate of the SBE slug barrel? I have one and am not getting very good patterns with rifled slugs from it. I know that it's made to shoot sabots, so is the twist rate too fast for rifled slugs? I have a 2X-7X Leupold scope on the gun,and not using the iron sights. Should I use sabots only? Thanks smile.gif

[ 11-23-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: hobirod ]

• 3 weeks later...

First off Which Barrel do you have? the early Benelli SBE's had the ER Shaw Custom Barrel and Later versions have a Benelli Barrel. If you have ER Shaw stamped on the side you have an Excellent barrel for accuracy. Mine (ER SHAW) shoots 1" all day with Federal Barnes expanders, Federal (BRI style) Sabots, Winchester Platinum tip, Winchester Partition, and Winchester (BRI Style) Sabots. on the down side I can not hit better than 3" with the Remingtons that I wanted to use. I have taken several Deer with the Federal 3" Sabots at between 148 and 165 yds (I hunt open fields) and never a lost animal. As for the "rifled" Slugs. The bore size is different but the main problem is that the rifling twist on some of the lead slugs is the opposite direstion of the rifling in your barrel and that really screws things up

Take care

Mel

P.S. Brenneke slugs IMHO have the trajectory of a rainbow. If you sight in at 100 yds and have a assistane watching thru a spotting scope you can actually watch the slug in flight :( . Try it, I had to see it to believe it myself. I have found that any of the BRI type Sabots shoot fine in a smoothbore with the right choke.