Sheared off M4 barrel lug

Doge

11 hours ago, Doge said:

Should be an easy warranty. As much as I am a shill for the brand, its apparent the last few years of guns have had more issues.

I had voiced same concerns as well.... Covid era production parts/models. As much as we like to rely on historical quality, we shouldn't practice blind allegiance in unprecedented times. Benelli is still a for profit company and amidst managerial pressure to pump out product, really easy for corners to be cut, established QA processes to be ignored, or master craftsmen unavailability as they're working remote/quarantined. Even if Benelli stayed true to their standards... What about the full supply chain starting with quality of raw materials. All this might lead to a batch of production dates/serials later deemed to be undesirable, or at least potential risk of being Benelli*.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nocturnalnature said:

I seem to recall this happening at least once before a few years ago, with Benelli claiming it was due to the use of aftermarket forends.

It's the main reason I have always chosen to use other parts to reach 922R compliance.

Im curious how an aftermarket forend would cause this.  Is it due to where the aftermarket forends put pressure on that part?

23 minutes ago, Anon4755 said:

Im curious how an aftermarket forend would cause this.  Is it due to where the aftermarket forends put pressure on that part?

I wish I could find the old thread, but the general consensus was as you stated.

This is all from memory so it isn't word for word, but basically since most aftermarket forearms are aluminum or use bushings that don't compress, they have no give when tightening down the barrel.

If specs aren't exact then it could potentially cause pressure on the barrel lug during the recoil cycle.

Edited by Nocturnalnature
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nocturnalnature said:

I wish I could find the old thread, but the general consensus was as you stated.

This is all from memory so it isn't word for word, but basically since most aftermarket forearms are aluminum or use bushings that don't compress, they have no give when tightening down the barrel.

If specs aren't exact then it could potentially cause pressure on the barrel lug during the recoil cycle.

So now i am curious what aftermarket parts are a no go for reasons like this. 

6 hours ago, Doge said:

I got rid of my FFT forends because I couldn't tighten down my barrel. They are purposely made to be oversized for some reason.

I’m not sure why they oversize them.  Maybe he would have to pay the vendor more to size them after they come out of the mold.

They just require some patience and fitting.  I can’t remember if I started with a file or not but I finished with self made sanding blocks.  I used a more aggressive grit and then finished up with a fine grit to get them nice and smooth.  It probably took me an hour to get them right.

You’re only suppose to file on one end.  I chose the end that’s toward the barrel lug/hanger.  I wanted to leave the end that interfaces with the receiver alone.  It’s a lot of on and off and filing/sanding.  Once their done they should fit any M4 if you don’t remove too much material.  I saved my FFT’s for my new M4 they fit with no problem.

One thing that threw me was they appear to be bowed out in the middle.  Once you screw down the mag tube cap and get them secure they straighten out.  No gap.

Edited by Milspec

I’ve fit a bunch of those FFT forends. I use a big flat metal file and remove material from the end closest to the muzzle. It’s a lot of trial and error to fit them since you don’t want to remove too much material. I use the seat ring at the base of the barrel to determine if the forend fits or not. Once I can’t slide a piece of paper between the ring and the receiver, I know it’s good to go. Without doing this, you could end up with light primer strikes since the bolt won’t fully rotate and lock into the barrel lugs.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

I’ve fit a bunch of those FFT forends. I use a big flat metal file and remove material from the end closest to the muzzle. It’s a lot of trial and error to fit them since you don’t want to remove too much material. I use the seat ring at the base of the barrel to determine if the forend fits or not. Once I can’t slide a piece of paper between the ring and the receiver, I know it’s good to go. Without doing this, you could end up with light primer strikes since the bolt won’t fully rotate and lock into the barrel lugs.

Seems like a headache with anything FFT sells.  I never heard one positive thing from FFT.  I guess the one positive is hes from commiefornia and its easy to avoid those kind of people? Lol. 

• Upvote 2