Ammo recommendations for M4

alphat

1 hour ago, alphat said:

I am relatively new to shotguns and looking for recommendations for ammo for M4:

1. Cheapest target ammo

2. Cheapest target slugs

3. Self-defense buckshot

4. Self-defense slugs

1. My M4 literally eats anything so whatever’s available at the time.

2. Don’t shoot slug in my m1014

3. Federal is what I typically use.

4. Same as #2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I keep a pretty healthy inventory of the following:

Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnums - I bought a healthy supply of these slugs before the panic and these are my SHTF / Grizzly defense / EOTWAWKI go-to slugs.

Hornady Critical Defense Buckshot 8 pellets w/Versatite (1600 fps) - I like the 1600 fps for great penetration and the versatite wad (similar to Federal’s FliteControl) and the 8 pellet load limits the possibility of a flier. The only downside are the lead pellets; I really wish they were plated to reduce the possibility of deformation.

PB127 DPRS Federal Vital-Shok 1 oz Deep Penetrator TruBall Hollow Point Rifled Slug (1350 fps) or LEB127DPRS Federal LE Tactical TruBall Deep Penetrator Rifled Slug - These are identical loads so I buy either one and are the standard slugs I use for general purpose and practice. My M4’s are reasonably accurate with these and they hit hard. I’d feel comfortable using these in any situation.

LE13300 Federal LE Tactical Buckshot 8 Pellets w/FliteControl (1145 fps) - at my condo I keep my old Remington 870 loaded with these. Very tight pattern and the low fps limits penetration worries with regard to my neighbors. I’ve never had the opportunity to try these in my M4’s.

Edited by SnidelyWhiplash

54 minutes ago, 12508 said:

I have  M4s that don't like the low recoil le flite control.  But i generally have bad luck with firearms so who knows.

For cheap buckshot try estate, aguila, and lax ammo extreme.  For cheap slugs . . . well any of them.

What product have you tried? Le133 or Le132 or both? If so, any difference between?

47 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

What product have you tried? Le133 or Le132 or both? If so, any difference between?

Both.  Both failed to clear the ejection port.  I am sure since both are 1145fps.  Mine seem to like 1250ish and up.
Patterns I don't recall a difference.  I used to have some photos but must have deleted them.  It was a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 12508 said:

Both.  Both failed to clear the ejection port.  I am sure since both are 1145fps.  Mine seem to like 1250ish and up.
Patterns I don't recall a difference.  I used to have some photos but must have deleted them.  It was a long time ago.

Does your m4 deviate from box stock in ANY way? 

I bought a bunch of Black Aces for blasting and they cycle well.  They are a bit long which may limit capacity.  RIO works good as well and tends to be less expensive over the core American brands.  Fetter as well, although I doubt we will see russian around much longer.

• Upvote 1

I own two M4’s and shoot them quite a bit, I have experimented & dialed in patterning with a ton of different brands & loads. My experiences relative to overall cycle-reliability is to always stay at/above 1250 fps loads, seems other people have validated this as well. Specific to Federal LE13200( 9 pellet 00 1145 fps low recoil)..over the years I have tried it specifically numerous times and experienced failures to cycle, some might call it short-stroking. I have been cursed with OCD with cleaning & maintaining firearms, so when my M4’s are freshly cleaned & wet they will initially cycle the Federal LE13200 but will eventually run into cycle failures. The M4 can definitely be set up & tweaked accordingly to allow for lighter loads, bird shot, etc..but that is not what the M4 is designed or intended for, further validated by it’s love & reliability of heavier pressure loads. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, alphat said:

I am relatively new to shotguns and looking for recommendations for ammo for M4:

1. Cheapest target ammo

2. Cheapest target slugs

3. Self-defense buckshot

4. Self-defense slugs

1) whatever cycles reliably and costs least for you to get ahold of.

2) See #1, but add "is reasonably accurate".

3) LE133 or LE132. LE133 will pattern tighter, LE132 adds another hole in the target.

4) LEB127 or LE127RS. I prefer LE127RS due to reduced fouling and IMO, better terminal performance per Le Vista's website gel testing.

Use a CYL choke if you don't have the Entry model (which is CYL by default). If you have an M1014 with a fixed MOD choke, the slug recommendations still stand, but the buckshot will take some work, as the flite control may not be your best performer.

5 hours ago, TheDude said:

I've never shot Black Aces before, about to buy a case but wondering if its good for HD by any chance? 

A recent P&S Podcast saw a lot of trainers saying it was probably the worst buckshot they've seen for consistency. Try it in YOUR GUN before stacking it deep.

2 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

A recent P&S Podcast saw a lot of trainers saying it was probably the worst buckshot they've seen for consistency. Try it in YOUR GUN before stacking it deep.

Yeah you're right, I found a few boxes on GB, we'll see what it does.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Welcome to the world of shotguns, it's a blast! You might want to check out the Winchester Super Target or Federal Top Gun loads for the cheapest target ammo. They're both pretty affordable and reliable. As for target slugs, the Brenneke Black Magic slugs are a pretty good bet. They're accurate and practical without breaking the bank. You can't go wrong with the classic Remington 00 Buck or Federal Premium Personal Defense loads for self-defense buckshot. Both are reliable and proven performers. They deliver plenty of stopping power and accuracy.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:12 PM, AidanMoran said:

Welcome to the world of shotguns, it's a blast! You might want to check out the Winchester Super Target or Federal Top Gun loads for the cheapest target ammo. They're both pretty affordable and reliable. As for target slugs, the Brenneke Black Magic slugs are a pretty good bet. They're accurate and practical without breaking the bank. You can't go wrong with the classic Remington 00 Buck or Federal Premium Personal Defense loads for self-defense buckshot. Both are reliable and proven performers. They deliver plenty of stopping power and accuracy.

I personally use 209 primers as they are popular with shotgun reloaders. Good luck, and have fun out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Only buckshot I have had issues ejecting was the Fiocchi Home Defense load. It is rated at 1250 FPS but does not have enough gas to cycle the action. Even if it ejects the spent case, it does not pick up the next round off the carrier.

Just picked up 180 rounds of the Federal Powershok 00 buck but haven't had a chance to pattern it yet. 

On 5/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, StreetSweeper56 said:

Black Aces "double aught" shoots just fine out of my M4's, never had a problem.

same. I got a lot of rounds of the black case Black Aces 00 buck and it cycles just fine. patterned decently too from about 10 yards (by decently, I mean it didn't have any flyers off a torso size target). the shells are a tad bit long and only fits 6 rounds in the full length tubes.