SBE3 not cycling 3" or 3.5" shells

Jasons

I just bought a SBE3 and shot probably 20 light load rounds 2-3/4" and it cycled fine, took it turkey hunting using 3-1/2" shells and it would should the first round but not cycle another round in the chamber, tried 3" shells and same thing wouldn't chamber the 2nd round

• 2 weeks later...

We'll need more info to help. Does it properly eject the spent round? Does the next round not feed from magazine or does it snag on the chamber or something else or simply not even pull a round from the magazine?

Typically SBE's like a diet of heavier loads before starting to shoot light ones. Yours is backwards. Is this a new or used gun? If used, I suppose it is possible they put a lighter weight spring in so that light loads (below 1 1/8 oz DRAM) would cycle and it now won't feed heavy loads. The typical issue is when shooting light loads, the gun will fire, and it will cycle back, eject empty, then close on an empty chamber. This is because initially there isn't enough force to release the shell stop and allow a round in the chamber.

Have you tried different brand ammo?

• Upvote 1

I think remarkable has it right. If it were a spring rate issue, then it generally closes on an empty bolt and never releases next shell. I would try a different brand of shell before you try to have it serviced. Sometimes a tiny manufacturing product (metal shavings usually, or not as polished as it should be) will cure themselves out with a diet of heavier loads. If you find a load it does like, most likely you'll be able to come back to these later after it is broken in. If nothing works, then they should be able to adjust that. If memory serves, that only takes the tiniest of change to adjust so if you are a DIY'er, don't grab the Dremel.

• Upvote 1

I believe you will need to be more specific about when and why your gun is either not feeding shells from the magazine or is the bolt locking back upon shooting.  If it is the later you have one to to three possible issues.

1. Your carrier latch is out of adjustment

2. The drop shells lever was cut, out of spec

3. The trigger guard is out of spec

If you would like to PM and would be very willing to assist you.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, I cleaned and oiled it and it shoots great now. I thought about trying that before posting but didn't figure that would help since it was a new gun. Thank you all for your help, hopefully this will help someone else that might have the same problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasons said:

Just an update, I cleaned and oiled it and it shoots great now. I thought about trying that before posting but didn't figure that would help since it was a new gun. Thank you all for your help, hopefully this will help someone else that might have the same problem.

Oil goes a long way.  I had my M4 out the other day, and it just wasn’t cycling quick, was kind of mushy. And some target loads failing to eject.

Oiled the carrier and cured it all back to new.