Cantilevered Slug Gun Barrels

jcsabolt2

Does anyone out there make an after market caltilevered slug barrel for the Benelli M2's since Benelli does not make one? I'd like to attach my scope to it and leave it so I can just swap barrel out from deer to bunnies. I would consider having custom work done to get a cantilevered barrel if anyone knows a good gunsmith in or around Ohio.

Also, why doesn't Benelli replace the old style iron sights with fiber optic sights or at least have it as an after market option?

• 3 months later...

Not to be smart, but why would you need a cantilever mount for a SBE slug gun? The top of the receiver is drilled and tapped, you could switch out the barrels and not lose your zero. The M1/M2 is a different story, I wish someone made one for it.

I wasn't aware that an SBE ( bird gun) was tapped, I don't think so, ay least not mine. And, so that you know, any shotgun with a removable barrel will change zero if the scope is receiver mounted and the barell is swapped, thats the strength of the cantilever design. Zero is relative to the barrell not the reciever.

Thanks

Nitro Mag

Ok ok, you guys are not all on the same page.

Benelli factory slug barrels come drilled and tapped with screw covers and open sights. I presume Benelli finds this offering sufficient for now. The SBE has been around for 15 years, so I can presume that they feel there is not sufficient demand for a cantilever barrel.

On the SBE, there would be no real advantage of a cantilever over drilled and tapped because the receiver and barrel are one piece.

However, on the M1 & M2, I can certainly see why someone might want a cantilever, as the barrel and receiver are 2 piece.

I guess no one can be all things to all folks.

Benelli can barely keep up with the demand for what it currently stocks, I can't imagine that they are eager to add more skus.

From my own personal experience with slugs barrels, I far perfer the open sights. I hunt Iowa and most of the shots are at running deer at close range. A scope actually hinders at that range. 95% of our shots are close up like that.

I think Benelli is serving the vast majority of hunters with what they currently offer.

mudhen - CA

Nitro Mag,

I meant what Mudhen said it's just that he said it a lot better than I did. One thing he didn't mention is that if you buy a slug barrel from Benelli, you will either have to buy a modified forearm or modify the one you have because the slug barrel is bigger in diameter than the shot barrel. If you get one, let me know how it shoots. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Nitro Mag,

I meant what Mudhen said it's just that he said it a lot better than I did. One thing he didn't mention is that if you buy a slug barrel from Benelli, you will either have to buy a modified forearm or modify the one you have because the slug barrel is bigger in diameter than the shot barrel. If you get one, let me know how it shoots. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Originally posted by DJ:

Nitro Mag,

• 1 year later...

I have an M1 and certainly like to use it in Iowa with a scoped cantilever barrel. My eye sight is not what it used to be. My Nikon 1 x 4.5 works just great on running deer. Come on Benelli, help us multi-purpose shotgun hunters out here. I've written to Benelli numerous times concerning this suggestion.

This is an interesting subject and one that I wrestled with a couple of months ago.I love the M1 for deer hunting but I like rifled barrels with scopes.Benelli does not make a cantilevered slug barrel for the M1.So I purchased an E.R.Shaw rifled slug barrel for my M1. E.R. Shaw was contraced by Benelli 10-15 years ago to make these slug barrels as was Hastings.They all came with rifle sights only and they did not offer a cantilever'd option.They no longer provide these barrels for Benelli and haven't for many years. This barrel came in the black matt finish and with rifle sights.I then ordered from Brownell's a cantilever mount,removed the rifle sights from the barrel and had a gun smith silver sodder the mount on.Then I sent it to Gander MT. to get Camo'd for $64.99.It matches my gun perfectly.My M1 is the turkey special with the sure grip stock etc.I scoped it with a camo nikon 2-7X32 for $149.00 and now have my dream deer gun.I took the long way around but it shoots 2 inch groups at 75 yards using Winchester 2 3/4 platnum tip sabots.The barrel cost me $200.00, the gun smith charged me $130.00 for his work and the camo job at Gander was $64.99.So, for $394.99 I got what I wanted.Good luck to all. Old Iron mike from SE Minnesota