Disappointing range session today

Chipperchoi

Took the M4 out today to check shot pattern and check function.

Couldn't get through a box of Fiochi Self Defense load without a stoppage. Like 7 stoppages out of a box of 25. This stuff isn't the most stout load (rated at 1250 fps) but seemed like it was not fully cycling the BCG so it would fail to eject or would not pick up the next round off the elevator. It also failed to lock back on empty.

Perhaps it's the break in period some have mentioned but was so bummed out when it stopped on the first tube of shells through it.

Some of the Black Ace stuff ran fine and patterned decently so I guess I will use that until I can get some properly HD ammo for this.

Any suggestions on if there is anything to check for would be greatly appreciated.

dam man that sucks. When i got mine i was worried about the break in period i hear people talk about. Mine was fine out of the box. I even mixed clay rounds, bird shot, slugs and buck shot all in one tube and it ate EVERYTHING. I was told to shoot just slugs or buckshot for about 50 to 75 rds to helpm break it in. If i ever have issues , the first thing i do is disassemble and clean thoroughly and inspect things as best as i can. Put it back together and give it a go, if still having issues it prob time to send to Benelli

20220814_104537.jpg

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jaason0 said:

dam man that sucks. When i got mine i was worried about the break in period i hear people talk about. Mine was fine out of the box. I even mixed clay rounds, bird shot, slugs and buck shot all in one tube and it ate EVERYTHING. I was told to shoot just slugs or buckshot for about 50 to 75 rds to helpm break it in. If i ever have issues , the first thing i do is disassemble and clean thoroughly and inspect things as best as i can. Put it back together and give it a go, if still having issues it prob time to send to Benelli

20220814_104537.jpg

Thanks for the input. I did put a 7rd tube on the gun so I did disassemble and cleaned everything. Lubed up the carrier group as well before reassembly.

Seems to be okay with the stouter rounds but was really surprised when it stopped on a 00 buck round. 

As you mentioned, I was expecting it to just eat everything. Was so excited for this gun so a bit bummed out and had to rant haha.

I will take it apart and see id anything is out of the ordinary but the gun seems function fine when check it. Rack the action and everything is functional. Just seems like there isn't enough gas from the Fiocci rounds. 

6 minutes ago, Nocturnalnature said:

I have 3 of M4's and 2 of them will not cycle Fiocchi loads. Same symptoms as yours.

Oddly, they all function with target loads from any of the other larger manufacturers.

Thats good to know. Thanks. I will just use those rounds on the 590 and get other ammo.

The last owner sold me a bunch of Black Ace 00 buck in black hulls and those things pack a punch. 

Seems to be cycling everything else just fine.

8 hours ago, Chipperchoi said:

Couldn't get through a box of Fiochi Self Defense load without a stoppage. Like 7 stoppages out of a box of 25. This stuff isn't the most stout load (rated at 1250 fps) but seemed like it was not fully cycling the BCG so it would fail to eject or would not pick up the next round off the elevator. It also failed to lock back on empty.

Perhaps it's the break in period some have mentioned but was so bummed out when it stopped on the first tube of shells through it.

Some of the Black Ace stuff ran fine and patterned decently so I guess I will use that until I can get some properly HD ammo for this.

Any suggestions on if there is anything to check for would be greatly appreciated.

This ammunition is, as you discovered, just on the ragged edge of function. I have a case of it and have tested it, as well. It is NOT indicative of typical 9 pellet 00B at 1250fps in the least. This is a special case situation where the numbers on the box do not add up to the expected results. A better solution for you is Federal LE132 00 or Federal LE133 00.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chipperchoi said:

Thanks all for the inputs.

Started looking up threads and I see many posts having issues with this ammo. Will stay away from it 

This is actually a very good conventional round. It's just at home in a pump gun mostly. Mine patterns very well, recoil is very very soft as I'm sure you've noted. It's not flite control good, but it also kicks even less than FC.

6 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

This is actually a very good conventional round. It's just at home in a pump gun mostly. Mine patterns very well, recoil is very very soft as I'm sure you've noted. It's not flite control good, but it also kicks even less than FC.

haha yeah, I bought a lot of this stuff when I picked up the gun so I will just keep them for my pump gun. It definitely is very soft recoiling.

42 minutes ago, rubicon20032003 said:

My entry has eaten anything from expensive to cheap junk.Hasn’t missed a beat yet 

Pretty much what I was expecting from it. I didn't have any low brass ammo so only shot the 00 buck that I had. Imagine my surprise when it stopped after the first round put of it. 😭

1 hour ago, Chipperchoi said:

Pretty much what I was expecting from it. I didn't have any low brass ammo so only shot the 00 buck that I had. Imagine my surprise when it stopped after the first round put of it. 😭

I bought some Fetter last year, several boxes had taller brass than others. I did some research, low brass/ high brass is pretty much a marketing gimmick. The brass doesn't contain the combustion, the chamber does. There is a thread on it. 

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/10/26/ending-the-high-brass-low-brass-shotshell-strength-debate/

6 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I bought some Fetter last year, several boxes had taller brass than others. I did some research, low brass/ high brass is pretty much a marketing gimmick. The brass doesn't contain the combustion, the chamber does. There is a thread on it. 

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/10/26/ending-the-high-brass-low-brass-shotshell-strength-debate/

hmmm never realized that. Always figured the extra brass at the bottom allowed for more powder. 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, Nocturnalnature said:

I have 3 of M4's and 2 of them will not cycle Fiocchi loads. Same symptoms as yours.

Oddly, they all function with target loads from any of the other larger manufacturers.

I have some of those I'll have to check them I can't remember if I tried them or not

On 8/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, Chipperchoi said:

Did you try bird shot. I'm curious if you tried those and had any issues with them.  I have some of those rounds but not sure if I use them or not. 

10 hours ago, Jaason0 said:

Did you try bird shot. I'm curious if you tried those and had any issues with them.  I have some of those rounds but not sure if I use them or not. 

I have not tried any birdshot as I didn't have any that day. I am trying go get to the range again this weekend and will try some.

5 hours ago, NineInchNails said:

Was the M4 lubed at all? When I bought a Beretta 92FS, it wouldn't function. That was disappointing, but after I lubed it, it functioned flawlessly ever since. For that reason, I always lube any new gun. Some may argue that an M4 shouldn't require lube, but I lube.

Yeah I lubed up the BCG and the grooves in the receiver but didn't really apply a lot. When I broke down the gun to check, I see lube on it but was pretty dry.

I will throw more on it for the next range trip and see if it cycles better with this troublesome ammo.

Edited by Chipperchoi