Which slug is the best and why

Lt3097

I'm new to the Benelli Board and just purchased my first Benelli M3. I haven't even shot it yet. I'm already looking for another Benelli shotgun and since I hunt in an area that only permits slugs guns, I was curious which one is preferred or considered the best all around slug gun. I personally prefer the auto loaders. Any suggestions ? Opinions ?

Clarification. I'm looking for a Slug gun,not slugs

Originally posted by Lt3097:

I'm new to the Benelli Board and just purchased my first Benelli M3. I haven't even shot it yet. I'm already looking for another Benelli shotgun and since I hunt in an area that only permits slugs guns, I was curious which one is preferred or considered the best all around slug gun. I personally prefer the auto loaders. Any suggestions ? Opinions ?

WELL since you asked about my favorite slug/gun combo I'll be happy to answer you with a story~ smile.gif at the local range this past weekend with my buddy sighting in his new 870 fully rifled barrel with a big a$* scope mounted on top and $12 for five round box of ammo deer slayin gun that he bragged could dot the eye on a fly with. put a little cash on the line with the old "you shoot it, you own it" game, with a grin as he stuck it to the target at the 100 yards. and well to shorten the story up a little bit my Benelli M1014, Eotech sight and my $3 a box Winchester Super X power point slugs took him to school and the money is in my pocket now....and bragging rights that is worth tons more than the money! :cool: bottom line is go get you an M4 and be the "mack daddy"! ;) tongue.gif

[ 11-02-2006, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: wingbone ]

the most accurate slug gun I've ever owned is my Harrington&Richardson 980 Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 12ga. topped with a 1.5-5x Weaver shotgun scope and shooting Winchester 2.75'' 1oz BRI sabot slugs. It's only a single shot but as accurate as it is you only need one shot.

[ 11-02-2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: gunner76 ]

If you already have an M3 and want a Slug Gun, why would you consider an M4 (a smoothbore, tactical shotgun similar to your M3)?

Get a SBEII with a rifled barrel (slug gun).

A smoothbore shooting rifled slugs WILL NOT deliver the same accuracy as a rifled slug barrel the (overwhelming) majority of the time. Wingbone's experience is an outlier.

[ 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

Heck, last weekend I shot a fiberglass mannequin at the Fort Bliss gun range with my M2 with winchester slugs down a smoothbore and it exploded in a thousand pieces at 80 yards. Found the torso and I hit it right where I aimed with the ghost ring sight. FYI.

Originally posted by M1014:

much Congrats smile.gif now thats the way things are done,,,wingbone is a graduate of the fine art of shotgunning,,,,the pupil is now teacher,,,more power to ya,,,lets see a pic of the better half of the two winners,,,the one with the Eotech :D

Still much I have to learn from ya Jedi Master! :D ...now for the light sabre!

M4S90.jpg

((left out the wallpaper you gave me sh*t over last time smile.gif

I have been looking at the M1, M2 and SBEIIs with the slug setup. I've hunted with both smooth bore and rifled slug barrels. It can really be a toss up. Ya gotta match up the right barrel with the right ammo without a doubt. I've heard the SBE and the SBE II kick considerably less than the other so I'll probably continue to look that way. Unfortunately, I tore a Rotator Cuff last hurricane season and still on the mend. I gotta get ready, Ohio deer season is upon us end of this month.

Originally posted by Nemesis:

If you already have an M3 and want a Slug Gun, why would you consider an M4 (a smoothbore, tactical shotgun similar to your M3)?

Get a SBEII with a rifled barrel (slug gun).

A smoothbore shooting rifled slugs WILL NOT deliver the same accuracy as a rifled slug barrel the (overwhelming) majority of the time. Wingbone's experience is an outlier.

I do not agree, "foster" type slugs have come a long way from what we used to shoot!....and lots of people are going back to smooth bores now and shooting just as accurate as the rifled barrel shooters. oh, by the way is the main gun on the M1 Abrhams tank rifled now? and why?

Two big advantages for the smooth bore shooter is the fact that you can shoot slugs or buckshot from the same gun/barrel (huge advantage for combat shotgun) second would be sheer cost, last weekend for example my buddy would have took more time and fired off more rounds if it wasnt costing him $12 every time he put five rounds in his shotgun when I know I fired off enough to equal a sleve :D and everyone knows if you want to shoot well you have to practice, practice, practice!

now I'm not sayin anything bad about the SBII at all by no means but the gas operated Benelli is a joy to shoot recoil wise compared to the SBII and I'm sure nobody can argue that point. plus the fact I can put all kinds of aftermarket equipment without a big fear of it not working when I need it to.

along with many others here in the forum have fired tons of various shells from my M1014 from 2 and 3/4" to 3", slugs to buckshot without a single malfuntion that I can remember even when it was brand new. I have even read posts from people here who has shot skeet with their M4 :eek:

So if I was looking to buy another shotgun to use for hunting/home defense/plinking/and sheer tactical coolness even though I already have one would be a brand new M4.

[ 11-03-2006, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: wingbone ]

Wingbone, What setup do you have on the M4 ? Barrel type and length.

Lt3097 I have a Benelli M1014 it has a 18.5" smooth bore barrel with no chokes, for optics I just switched from a reflex type sight to an Eotech 512a65 which I totally love! here is a peek smile.gif

Eotech.jpg

I do not agree, "foster" type slugs have come a long way from what we used to shoot!....and lots of people are going back to smooth bores now and shooting just as accurate as the rifled barrel shooters. oh, by the way is the main gun on the M1 Abrhams tank rifled now? and why?. [/QB]
Wingbone--

You don't know what you think you know about this. An M1 Abrams uses a smoothbore because HEAT ammunition (about half the ammo on the tank) is considerably less effective if it is rotating. A Sabot round from an M1 also has fins to stabilize it, which your shotgun shells do not.

I agree that Foster shells have come a long way, but you cannot compare the accuracy of a 24 inch, rifled slug barrel to that of a 18.5 inch smoothbore combat shotgun.

HE IS LOOKING FOR A SLUG GUN, NOT YOUR FAVORITE COMBAT SHOTGUN.

quote:
I do not agree, "foster" type slugs have come a long way from what we used to shoot!....and lots of people are going back to smooth bores now and shooting just as accurate as the rifled barrel shooters. oh, by the way is the main gun on the M1 Abrhams tank rifled now? and why?.
Wingbone--

You don't know what you think you know about this. An M1 Abrams uses a smoothbore because HEAT ammunition (about half the ammo on the tank) is considerably less effective if it is rotating. A Sabot round from an M1 also has fins to stabilize it, which your shotgun shells do not.

I agree that Foster shells have come a long way, but you cannot compare the accuracy of a 24 inch, rifled slug barrel to that of a 18.5 inch smoothbore combat shotgun.

HE IS LOOKING FOR A SLUG GUN, NOT YOUR FAVORITE COMBAT SHOTGUN. [/QB]and you are right about the HEAT rounds having fins and my Winchester slugs do not. smile.gif but the 120mm M256 main gun is a smoothbore to increase muzzle velocity at lower pressure so those nasty little "silver bullets"( M865 TPCSDS-T, the M8300 HEAT-MP-T and the M829 APFSDS-T which includes a depleted uranium penetrator) can do their work that requires the higher velocity to penetrate the armour before getting inside and spewing all that molten metal around without blowing up the main gun....know a little more than you think I do don't I ;)

NOW for some more proof of the point I'm trying to make I went to the Federal ammunition site to get some more info. http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx

the 12 gauge 2and3/4, 1oz. PREMIUM VITAL-SHOK BARNES EXPANDER has a muzzle velocity of 1450fps and 2042 energy in foot pounds. now for the 12 gauge 2and3/4, 1oz. "foster" PREMIUM VITAL-SHOK TRUBALL RIFLED SLUG has a muzzle velocity of 1600fps. and 2487 energy in foot pounds....Hmmm, I don't know much about the space program but????? :eek:

AND he alreay has an M3....so I assume he is into combat shotguns like me. maybe it is just me but it seems once a fella gets into shooting a tactical shotgun they don't really like anything else?

but anyways you have sound advice and and the SBEII is a fine shotgun of course. I'm sure the debate about rifled vs. smoothbore will rage on long after we are gone, my only regret is that that you and I have not hung out and done some shooting together because I'd bet after I let you shoot a couple of rounds from my 1014 you would want one too, everyone else I shoot with does tongue.gif and in the meantime I could win some money off you with the old "hog leg" :D

[ 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: wingbone ]

Hey Wingbone,

We are in agreement on one thing.....I actually DO have an M4 and love it. Best tactical shotgun I have ever bought. I am the envy of the range when I shoot there. I think Benelli should pay me a bit of cash just because they picked up a number of sales from all the guys ogling my M4!

My M4 with slugs is a tack driver at 50 meters or closer. But by 100 meters, my group has opened up so much that I would consider it inhumane to shoot at an animal (good hunters care about not inflicting needless pain on their prey).

I would not have such reservations with my slug guns. I can keep decent groups at 100.

As far as the M1 Tank.....here is what Wikipedia has to say about HEAT rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEAT

Fourth paragraph down says they are less effective if they are spinning. Hence we use smoothbores. You may be correct about pressure/velocity, I have never read anything about that.

I'm a little confused Wingbone. If I understand you post correctly the recoil system on the M1 & M2 are different than the M3 & M4 ? I thought they were all the same ?

"I'm not sayin anything bad about the SBII at all by no means but the gas operated Benelli is a joy to shoot recoil wise compared to the SBII"

Hey Wingbone,

We are in agreement on one thing.....I actually DO have an M4 and love it. Best tactical shotgun I have ever bought. I am the envy of the range when I shoot there. I think Benelli should pay me a bit of cash just because they picked up a number of sales from all the guys ogling my M4!

My M4 with slugs is a tack driver at 50 meters or closer. But by 100 meters, my group has opened up so much that I would consider it inhumane to shoot at an animal (good hunters care about not inflicting needless pain on their prey).

I would not have such reservations with my slug guns. I can keep decent groups at 100.

As far as the M1 Tank.....here is what Wikipedia has to say about HEAT rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEAT

Fourth paragraph down says they are less effective if they are spinning. Hence we use smoothbores. You may be correct about pressure/velocity, I have never read anything about that.

Cool site man thanks! I'm stuck in my ways for sure because what I'm still seeing even at that site is achieving maximum accuracy from a smoothbore by stabilizing the projectile, hence the fins, or in this case point the rifled slug. the sabot round will give you more range but I hope I have given you enough info and proof that the rifled barrel does not mean it will make anyone a better shot without an equal amount of practice. I guess the same reason military units and police are going back to the old .45acp, sure the lil 9mm goes faster/further, less recoil and carries more bullets, but when that big old lumbering hunk of lead from a .45 puts the smack down on you....well lets just say Christmas will be cancelled :eek:

Anyway lets move on to better topics!...what slugs do you shoot out of your M4? there is alot of slugs it would seem my Benelli does not like to spit :D for one mine hates those Brenneke slugs, you could drive a truck through my group with those at 60 and 70 yards and lots of people swear by them? now I have yet to decide if it was me or my shotgun that made my mind up I was not going to shoot a 3" slug anymore because I can't seem to find one of them I shoot as well as I think I should :mad: but just trust me and go buy a few boxes of those new Winchester "power point" and a few of those new Federal "true ball" in the 2and3/4" and you will be amazed at what it will do!

I'm glad to see that you are a very ethical hunter, I agree totally that much respect must be paid to the prey....I pay my respect as well to make sure I make a clean well placed shot the only way this can be done is to "shut them off like a light switch" :D ...you should come to Indiana and go hunting with me, area is thick with deer. **** I believe a fella could fill his tags in Walmart parking lot here~S the hunters get them all stirred up and they just stay on the move the entire season

[ 11-03-2006, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: wingbone ]

I'm a little confused Wingbone. If I understand you post correctly the recoil system on the M1 & M2 are different than the M3 & M4 ? I thought they were all the same ?

"I'm not sayin anything bad about the SBII at all by no means but the gas operated Benelli is a joy to shoot recoil wise compared to the SBII"

M1,M2 and M3 are all the same, the M4 is the only one with the dual piston gas system which without a doubt has less recoil than the others

Just my $.02 cents. I just came back from sighting in my M4 with some Federal Tru-ball. All three touching at 50m, not too shabby. I had some issues with the Aimpoint, but it was a mount problem. Can't say enough about LaRue Tactical. Top shelf, I have both his Aimpoint mounts and the ACOG mount. Had some good results with all the Federal slugs I tested, the "Tactical" and the Low Recoil.

[ 11-04-2006, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: mildot326 ]

What is the story with this recoil reduction system I keep hearing about ? Does anyone know if the make this system for the remington 1100 12 ga ? What about a general idea of what it would cost for an M3 ? Does it just slide into the butt stock ?

What is the story with this recoil reduction system I keep hearing about ? Does anyone know if the make this system for the remington 1100 12 ga ? What about a general idea of what it would cost for an M3 ? Does it just slide into the butt stock ?

I have never used one myself but I think Tucker has and I read a post he made once where he said it did not reduce the recoil enough to be effective or worth the cost :confused:

here is a site you need to check out and do some research

http://www.benelliusa.com/