Nova newbie

ctahir

This is my first post and I have a couple of questions about the Nova. I currently own a Mossberg 500 and it's a nice gun and all, but I REALLY want a Nova and I'm probably going to sell the Mossberg to help make some money for the purchase. Ok, now to the questions. I want to know which Nova is most versitile, from goblins that want to break down my door to busting clays. I want one gun that will do it all, here's the kicker I don't want multiple barrels. Next question, I really like the Nova Tactical and I was wondering will it accept the Recoil Reducer, or will only the standard Nova's take it?

Thanks in advance

Chris Tahir

It's only a weight that reducing recoil and It does help alot for turkey hunting where your sitting, prone, or crouching, because when your standing up it is easier for your body to take the recoil. I would not recommend it for home protection, but clays, it may be useful because the reocvery time is less so you can fire faster. I would say it is worth it if your a hunting enthusiast.

I would recomend getting the standard stock becasue it is good for clays. And you aren't expecting to robbed every day are you? so you should get something that is good for what you plan on doing more of.

Originally posted by ctahir:

I want one gun that will do it all, here's the kicker I don't want multiple barrels.

You are much more likely to get REAL use of the gun with the clays than you are to have to use it defending yourself during an attack.

In the highly improbable defense situation, the field gun will serve you just fine. I promise the bad guy won't t know the difference.

The Tactical model would be pretty useless on the range or in the field, with its ghost ring sights and 18.5" barrell.

The recoil reducers do indeed work. That's why they make them and sell them.

The recoil reducers do indeed work. That's why they make them and sell them.
I'm sure we all have seen things that were just some gimmick and nothing more, I just wanted to be sure.

Along the same lines as the recoil reducer, how well do the comforTech gel recoil pads work. Please bear with me, the only shotgun I've ever really handled was my Mossberg and all the new fangled gadgets on these Benelli's confound me.

The GelTech pads work as well as any premium recoil pad. Limbsaver is an excellent aftermarket pad which would be of comparable quality.

Steeping out of Mossberg and into Benelli is about as far as you can go in one hop.

[ 05-07-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

The Tactical model would be pretty useless on the range or in the field, with its ghost ring sights and 18.5" barrell.

Not true sir after I purchased the breach barrel you found me at cals ( thanks by the way) I tried shooting clays at 20 yds and I did hit 6 of them after using a box of 135. :D

Therefore it isn't "useless" it is worthless for the field. I wouldn't have done that good with throwing rocks :D :D

Ok, as I said I want a single gun that would be able to do anything that needs to be done without having to stop and change any parts. I just had an idea that might be crazy and I have no idea if it would work. I really like the nova tactical and its ghost ring sights, but I can't shoot clays or turkeys without some type of choke. So would it be possible to have a poly choke installed on the end of it?? That way I could just vary what ever job I want to do with just a twist of the poly choke. Can some one let me know if this idea is even feasable or just the illusions of a deranged mind.

My brother and I each own a nova, mine is 24 inch barrel and 26 for my brother. They both are great guns, taken many gobblers with them. did some clay shooting and found that after a hundred rounds they definately need recoil help! The nova is a straight foward all business shotgun, but is best at home in the field. Also did some pheasant hunts and it is a very fast working pump gun, but if I had it to do over again I would get the 26 inch barrel. I've purchased an M2 since then and found that it is a much more ergonomical and so fun to shoot that I hardly use my nova now. But as for pump guns the nova is up there with the best !!!!!!!!!

ctahir,

No. You don't want to shoot trap with a 18.5" barrell, ghost ring sights, and a poly choke.

Buy a gun that best suits whatever it is you want it do most of the time now.

Maybe next year, you'll have some money again and then you can buy another one.

Benelli doesn't make all these models and options for kicks. If they could make one gun to do it all, they would.

Oh, and by the way that post of mine was a joke, I did try to use the breach barrel once in clays but I didn't hit crap.

Also interchangeable barrels won't take that long to change, when you buy any shotgun the barrel is not even attatched for you because it takes so little time and effort. you slide it in and screw the cap on thats it. So it won't be any trouble to have an extra barrel. However it might be good idea to get the tactical if you want the ghost ring sights because it is obviously alredy drilled and tapped for it so you could save 60$. But I must support tuckers statement the 18.5" barrel is quite possibly the worst thing to shoot clays with. You would probably have better luck shooting them with a revolver.

cthair, you've gotten several good pieces of advice on this thread. If I were you I'd keep the 500 for your desire to have a home protection gun.(given its an 18.5"-20" persuader,cruiser, etc. or meets your requirement as a HPG) The reason I say this is that a gunstore will maybe give you 150 bucks for it. I'm being general obviously because I've never seen the condition of your 500. I do know from managing a gun store that the owner never offers more than 1/2 the guns value if that. So keep the 500 and buy a nova with a minimal barrell length of 24" for clays etc. If you do ever sell a gun try selling it to a buddy. A gunstore will give you pennies on the dollar because they can. Selling a gun is something you'll probably regret down the road.

Yeah I've sold a few guns and I do usually regret it, however I have a friend who's interested in the 500. My Mossberg has a 24" slug barrel and a 28" vent rib barrel with an HS Strut undertaker choke tube along with the factory ones. With the HS strut I can blast a turkeys head off within 25 yards and the gun and barrels are parkerized with OD green synthetic furniture. All that for $250, just cause he's a good buddy of mine.

I do have one final question. I have decided that the 24" vent rib Nova sounds just about perfect, however can I put some other kind of sights on it. I really do hate the typical front bead on most guns.

[ 05-09-2005, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: ctahir ]