SBEII slug

duckanddeer

Originally posted in the Stoeger site--will get more responses here at Benelli forum

Question regarding SBEII: I am about to buy an SBEII and want the gun for birds and deer. I will use the 26" bird barrel and the rifled slug barrel (on which I will mount a scope). I can get not a clear answer at Cabelas or local gun shops and they all recommend that I contact Benelli direct. For the above combo what is my best path? - 1) buy the bird gun and then slug barrel separate or 2) buy slug gun and then bird barrel separate. They all say they have heard something about forend changes that may be necessary depending on the two options above. Love the gun-just wanting the info so I can complete the purchase.

Thanks

You need to have a special forend for the slug barrels. I believe the inside is opened up wider to acomodate the larger diameter of the slug barrel,but the slug barrel forend will work with the bird barrel,you'll just have a gap in between the barrel and the sides of the forearm. If it were me I would have the dealer install a bird barrel on the slug gun model and see how much of a gap there is with the slug forend/bird barrel and if it doesn't bother you then I'd buy the slug gun, then buy a separate bird barrel and save yourself from having to buy an $80 forend.

I thought the issue is with the barrel hanger (where the barrel attaches to the receiver top). It is larger in diameter on an SBE II (and on a slug barrel) than it is on an SBE 1. To accomodate the larger diameter of the barrel hanger on the SBE II, the forend opening is somewhat larger at the rear of the forearm where it encircles the hanger.

I didn't think the diameter of the barrel itself had anything to do with it. Does anyone else have any comments on this issue to clarify what is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to get back hunting after decades absent. Among other research, searched this site, and ultimately decided on and bought a new SBEII last year w/28" shot barrel primarily for pheasant hunting w/some practice clay pidgeoning thrown-in (pun intended) periodically. I don't have lots of shotgun experience so I can report that the SBEII (not me) is dead-on accurate and has been 110% reliable new out of the box. The SBEII is an amazing peice of equiment, one **** of a tool and IMO not a bad work of art. Prior shotgun experience mostly many years ago with 20ga. Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight Dad gave me in maybe 1969/70. Still have the Mod 37 (like new) 20 ga. shotgun. W/such good experience w/SBE II I wanted to expand to include turkey & deer hunting as well. Shortly thereafter found and bought a new an OEM Benelli "criobarrel" rifled slug barrel at a local gun shop for $440.00 and also bought the OEM "special" benelli fore end thought to be required. An hour later, installing the slug barrel at home I immediately learned that the slug barrel I bought (Benelli on the box sku#650335080109)w/fit both SBE I & SBE II but that my SBE II (and I suppose other SBE II's) DID NOT require the "special" additional fore end nor did the fore end that came w/my SBEII require any modification to fit w/the slug barrel. Both slug and shot barrels interchange quickly, easily, seamlessly w/one (the stock SBEII) fore end. Returned the special fore end to local gun shop where purchased w/no problems. It is my understanding (but not experience) that the extra fore end is required in order to properly fit the slug barrel to an SBE I that was originally purchased w/shot barrel.

Mike- IL

My post from last year, dunno' ...remote but possible they still have a forend, could be worth a phone call.

LawForUSA

Member # 4531 posted 12-02-2005 01:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Disgustipated:

Anyone know where I can find a SBE II slug barrel on the internet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 week ago MegaSports (ph:815-439-4867) in Plainfield, IL (http://www.megasportsfirearms.com) had 2 OEM Benelli rifled slug barrels w/adj iron sights and drilled/tapped. I bought one for around $449.99, matte black, for my SBEII about a week ago so there may be one left.

NOTE: web site won't show availability, you will need to call them. If you do call, make sure you talk to Mike (only 1 there) he knows where they had them stashed, is the guy that sold me mine, and who will know if they have 1 still available.