Red dot mounting on a Super Black Eagle 3 20 ga?

Steve Rose

It is not - the 12 gauge SBE is factory drilled and tapped but the 20 is not. I bought a spare receiver from Midwest Gun Works and planned to have it drilled and tapped by a local gunsmith but it is aluminum and really light/thin so I am skeptical whether it will work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GunStuff said:

It’s not exactly what you are looking for, but you could always go with a rib mount for your red dot. 

https://www.meadowcreekmounts.com

I’ve never used one but I’ve read good things about them. 

I was gonna suggest the same thing! Meadow creek makes great stuff.

https://youtu.be/p1n6f0HQJbE

Edited by NCswamp13

Steve,

This would be a very risky mount.  The material is very thin, you would not be able to get more than 2 threads taped into the metal thickness, secondly the metal is not ideal for such application.  Finally the replacement cost for a new top cover is not cheap.  The stability of the piece is questionable when assembled.

image.png.9dcd39900bd309fe03745e30bf293360.png

7 hours ago, remarkable said:

Steve,

This would be a very risky mount.  The material is very thin, you would not be able to get more than 2 threads taped into the metal thickness, secondly the metal is not ideal for such application.  Finally the replacement cost for a new top cover is not cheap.  The stability of the piece is questionable when assembled.

image.png.9dcd39900bd309fe03745e30bf293360.png

That is the conclusion I've come to also.

I have found one example of a small dot sight being mounted back on the receiver itself, but not much real estate back there for a longer optic base.

sbe3back30.jpg