Slugs in the Benelli removable modified choke

John Doe

Hello all,

I just bought the Benelli M4 today and absolutely love it! But I am very new to shotguns and don't have much knowledge of these firearms. I am reading everything I can and trying to learn as much as I can, including reading the manual about 4 times now, but I have a question that I have not really seen a clear-cut answer for. My question is, can I shoot the slugs pictured here, through the modified removable choke that comes with the M4? The choke that comes with it says, "STEEL SHOT OK M *** BENELLI ARM I". Is it ok to shoot these through this choke? Pictured are, Dupleks Dupo 2 Expanding Shotgun Ammunition 12 ga 2 3/4 (red), Dupleks Broadhead Hexolit 32 Expanding Steel Slug 12 ga 2 3/4 (yellow), Brenneke Reduced Recoil 12 gauge 2 3/4 Shotgun Slugs.

Also, can I shoot these or, any type of ammunition including buckshot and birdshot, through the Benelli barrel WITHOUT a choke in the barrel? Will it damage the threads on the inside? Thanks, everyone for your time and knowledge on the subject. 

19 minutes ago, Kaiser said:

Do not shoot anything out of your shotgun without a choke tube properly installed. 
I would not shoot a slug out with a restriction tighter than IC. 

Ok, so the IC means Improved Cylinder from what I understand. I looked up the size chart and correct me if I am misunderstanding, ut it IC choke is "wider" or more open than the Modified choke. So that means that the Modified choke that comes with the Benelli is too small of an opening for a slug to go through. Is that correct?

1 minute ago, NineInchNails said:

It is my understanding that the Benelli M4 comes with a Modified Choke installed. I've shot birdshot, buckshot and slugs with no issues. I see no reason to remove the choke unless I'm installing something else in its stead.

Ok, so you are saying that it is ok to shoot slugs out of the modified choke? Now I am confused. Sorry guys I don't mean to be a nuisance or cause trouble, I am just trying to understand all of this. I am just worried if I shoot a slug out of my M4 with this choke that it will break the barrel or cause some type of damage to the firearm or myself and others. 

If you have not already seen it, this is what Benelli says;

Which chokes are recommended for slugs?

These chokes are recommended for slugs:

• 4 notches = Improved cylinder
  • 5 notches = Cylinder

A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. Sabot slugs should only be shot through our fully-rifled slug barrels.

It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.

That said, some people do shoot slugs thru a modified choke and claim no issues. I don't because Benelli apparently doesn't think it's safe. 

Edited by Evolution
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Evolution said:

If you have not already seen it, this is what Benelli says;

Which chokes are recommended for slugs?

These chokes are recommended for slugs:

• 4 notches = Improved cylinder
  • 5 notches = Cylinder

A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. Sabot slugs should only be shot through our fully-rifled slug barrels.

It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here

Evolution is spot on. 
    Could you shoot a slug through a MOD? Yes. Would it do any damage? Maybe, maybe not. 
    The way I look at it: Better safe than having to get a new barrel for my M4. 
    My M4 came with the factory supplied MOD choke tube. I bought a Cylinder choke and can shoot everything through it. 
     John Doe, you are not being a nuisance at all. You have come to the correct place to gain knowledge about your M4. All here are fans of shotguns and fanatics about M4’s 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kaiser said:

John Doe, you are not being a nuisance at all. You have come to the correct place to gain knowledge about your M4. All here are fans of shotguns and fanatics about M4’s 

Thank you all so much for your patience and knowledge! I appreciate it very much. You guys are very kind and understanding and I am very grateful for that. I have many more questions, some have been answered from reading all the posts in other threads here, and others I have not found yet, but I will search thoroughly before making a thread so as to not ask questions that have already been answered. Thank you again and I hope to talk to you all soon!