Disappointed with new M2 (customized) shell loading, what gives?

smartypants3333

Bought a customized Benelli M2 12G (work done by a well known shop) and am just disappointed with the difficulty to load shells. I own a Super Black Eagle 2 (12G), and getting shells past the shell catch is easier than this M2. My SBE2 is factory with about a thousand rounds through it and I don't remember the shell catch on it being as stiff as this shell catch. This M2 has the loading port polished, the shell catch is polished, and a polished/welded lifter and twin loads seem next to impossible. Watching youtube video with other folks using M2s make it seem effortless. If there's "break-in" to soften it up, does anyone have an idea of how long it takes? If I need to spend a couple hours just loading shells I can handle that, but if isn't not going to soften up much I'd rather buy a solution. Is my next option to look at the JKenny or Briley 2 piece shell catches?

For now I'm just going to keep using the SBE2.

20230317_204047.jpg

Edited by smartypants3333
Add picture

Some deepen the cuts on the sides of the catch to improve its flexibility but I’ve heard catches fail if too much is removed. I prefer to bend the catch so you have the least amount of contact securely retaining the shells then grind/shape/polish the edge of the catch so it more evenly contacts the shells. It’s a LOT of trial and error (I’d recommend having another catch on hand or working very incrementally)… the first time I tuned a catch, I test slammed the stock on the ground and all the shells backed out of the tube - kinda funny in retrospect. Took it apart, lessened the bend, retested, and got it to where I could not induce a catch failure but it was smooth to load and unload. I’ve done this for my M4, M2, Beretta and Franchi. No issues to date. 

Edited by kilyung

On 3/24/2023 at 2:10 PM, SingleMalt said:

That is the old style M2 20ga latch. It will work in the 12 ga M2  but it has 2 downsides.

(1)The release post (that sticks though the receiver) is hollow and contains a spring. You cannot drill/tap it for an oversize button

(2)The forward section of the latch is just a little longer so you have to push shells even farther into the mag tube to get them to clear the latch (farther in compared to the standard 12ga latch)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

The forward section of the latch is just a little longer so you have to push shells even farther into the mag tube to get them to clear the latch (farther in compared to the standard 12ga latch)

True, but they've worked well for my guns wrt loading ease.  You also need to make sure you have an appropriately sized follower because of the latch length.

• Like 1