M4 vs M1014 differences???

M4Miami

I did a search but did not find specifics. I have seen some other members discuss the simplicity and even perhaps better reliability one might expect with the original M1014 Limited Edition 11701 vs. todays current M4 11707. Can anyone expand on this.

Thanks...the Newbie

Originally posted by M4Miami: I have seen some other members discuss the simplicity and even perhaps better reliability one might expect with the original M1014 Limited Edition 11701 vs. todays current M4 11707. Can anyone expand on this.

M1014 is the one who can answer all of your questions reguarding the M4 series.

Originally posted by Red Cobra:

quote:
Originally posted by M4Miami: I have seen some other members discuss the simplicity and even perhaps better reliability one might expect with the original M1014 Limited Edition 11701 vs. todays current M4 11707. Can anyone expand on this.

M1014 is the one who can answer all of your questions reguarding the M4 series. Where or where is my Benelli brother???

M1014 is the resident guru...so with due respect to him, I'll try to answer the question untill he chimes in, as I own both the 11701 and 11707.

The Benelli 11701 Limited Edition M4/M1014 has a fixed skeletonized stock(due to the recoil tube NOT machined for the stock to slide closed). The receiver has an engraved American flag to denote the limited edition version. And the barrel is the same as the military version, heavy(not the thinner walled "low recoil" problem child) and has a fixed choke(modified).

The 11707 has the recoil tube is machined to allow the stock to collapse. No flag, but "m4" is engraved on the receiver instead. And the barrel has screw the screw in choke option. Early units shipped with the "low recoil" problematic barrel. Recent shipments are going out with the heavy, screw in choke version.

Both have the screw off civilian mag tube fake extention that limits the tube to 5.

Did I miss anything, M1014?

[ 01-12-2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: jetflyer ]

• 13 years later...
On 1/12/2006 at 7:39 PM, jetflyer said:

M1014 is the resident guru...so with due respect to him, I'll try to answer the question untill he chimes in, as I own both the 11701 and 11707.

The Benelli 11701 Limited Edition M4/M1014 has a fixed skeletonized stock(due to the recoil tube NOT machined for the stock to slide closed). The receiver has an engraved American flag to denote the limited edition version. And the barrel is the same as the military version, heavy(not the thinner walled "low recoil" problem child) and has a fixed choke(modified).

The 11707 has the recoil tube is machined to allow the stock to collapse. No flag, but "m4" is engraved on the receiver instead. And the barrel has screw the screw in choke option. Early units shipped with the "low recoil" problematic barrel. Recent shipments are going out with the heavy, screw in choke version.

Both have the screw off civilian mag tube fake extention that limits the tube to 5.

Did I miss anything, M1014?

[ 01-12-2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: jetflyer ]

Thanks for your input. When you said “Early units shipped with the "low recoil" problematic barrel. Recent shipments are going out with the heavy, screw in choke version.”  

What exactly are you talking about? What exactly was the “early problematic barrel” & what does that mean? And how do you know if your getting the “recent” heavy, screw in choke version, or not? 

Is a heavy screw in choke barrel better than a fixed modified barrel? Why does the military version have that vs a screw in choke version? 

The initial release of the M1014 came with a 2 port barrel. For some reason, Benelli released the 11703 model with a 4 port barrel version that was marked low recoil, it also had a removable choke. The instructions did not say it was only good for low recoil rounds, it was alluded to enhancing functionality and relying on the ARGO system to regulate the gas. Essentially making the M4 more reliable with lower recoil rounds and full house stuff. This did not work as intended. I had one for a while. It broke one of the gas pistons in half within the first 50 rounds. Then it slowly battered the bolt carrier to the point that it deformed where the pistons make contact with the carrier. It was deformed so much that the carrier would bind inside the receiver when pulling the bolt carrier to the rear. When looking at the bolt carrier, you could see where it was mushrooming the steel right on the rails. The 11703 model also had the neutered receiver extension like the civilian released M1014 has - this will not allow the collapsible stock to collapse. Thankfully, Benelli warranted my 11703 for me and replaced the barrel with the new 11707 style barrel including pistons and ARGO plugs, new handguards, and a new bolt carrier group.

Once the 11707 model was released, they shipped with a pistol grip stock and had the proper 3 position receiver extension installed. The barrel was also replaced with a 2 port version like the M1014 has, except it has a removable choke and a larger flared seating ring where the barrel makes contact with the face of the receiver. There were some design changes to the barrel extension that enters into the receiver as well.