Benelli M4 Burndown. What happened???

John Doe

I have the Strike Industries Benelli M4 Hayl Rail MLOK Handguard (Weight 6.6 oz) installed, but only have fired about 300 rounds with this handguard; I have not seen any issues. Visual inspections showed no plate misalignment or piston impact. But I will be inspecting more thoroughly and frequently in the future. 

I avoid cheap ammo and only purchase well-known reliable ammo (training, defense, hunting, etc.). I had a few ammo issues before break-in which I decided was 100 rounds of 00 buck shot. After break-in my Benelli M4 seems to eat about anything I feed it. 

I do all my own gunsmithing taking care and caution when installing stuff including watching a bunch of YouTube videos before commencing work to obtain lessons learned from other folks. 

In regard to the 922r discussion - Totally agree that 922r Federal Laws do nothing to improve the M4; it all about lobbying. In fact, the gunsmithing done to make it 922r compliant increases malfunction probability, warranty compliance with Benelli, and even potential safety issues. 

Edited by Don Randall
  • Like 1

500 rounds really isn't even much of a test. The half assed installation of the aftermarket components likely caused all of their grief. Unless you're really chasing weight savings, get a Carriercomp magazine tube over the Briley. Briley dicked around when they made their tubes so that each end of the tube is seated into a stainless end which has the threaded ends. The trouble is, the transition from stainless to carbon fiber tube is not the best. Inserting rounds, the follower can hit the transition and stick even with their aftermarket follower that is designed to work around that exact issue. That's exactly the issue they were having where they were struggling to load rounds and having to hold your mouth just right to get it to pass over the transition. You can play warranty games with Briley, but it's going to take a bit to fix everything right. You don't have any of those issues with a single piece titanium or steel tube. Whatever you get, put some thread locker on it.

Strike Industries is synonymous with crap. Set screws to keep the rail from rocking back and forth that press against your handguard retainer and barrel casting is a piss poor design. All that movement can lead to a piston striking the rail.

That Speed Bar wasn't going to last long with those Mongo's beating on it like that. That's a light duty part at best. Even a GG&G would probably end up breaking from that kind of abuse. We've all seen the size of the screw that holds that pad in place.

I think they alluded to replacing the receiver extension? That's the area I'd be concerned with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well said as always Stranger! The BM4 is a quality firearm..and firearms are often referred to as a tool. I never have nor will understand why so many people are incapable of due diligence/homework that is so easily accessible today to establish what is cheap-gucci-crap to avoid because it may fail/compromise their firearm..vs. what is known to be a quality replacement part that provides a purposeful upgrade.  Good lord that Speed Bar abuse test??..pure ignorance..next that dude will torture test the Briley mag tube with a hammer or Map torch until failure. Agree about Strike Industries..a strip-center beauty salon for dressing up firearms with you know..essential style.

• Like 1

To be honest I slap my bolt release tab a lot because it’s…. Fun.  Never had any problems with the OEM handguard and my bolt release being slapped to release the bolt.

some differences are mine is 1075 spring steel at 45RC.  Those other speed bars are 4140 at 30 Rockwell or so.  Big difference in stiffness.

Edited by RxArms
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, John Doe said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBcPcqsiDhY

Just watched this video from TFB TV. Was wondering what you guys think. I found it very interesting that this happened.

i saw the video, ....ive never seen such unintelligent ineptitude in my life.

ANYONE likewise (also that video) that puts an EOTECH on a shotgun should go to jail,  ....so unintelligent, so senseless.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/16/2023 at 2:53 PM, kenw111 said:

i saw the video, ....ive never seen such unintelligent ineptitude in my life.

ANYONE likewise (also that video) that puts an EOTECH on a shotgun should go to jail,  ....so unintelligent, so senseless.

🤣🤣🤣

What's wrong with an EO Tech on a shotgun??? I was actually considering it, but what would be your reasoning for not doing so and what would be your recommendation for a sighting system? I ask this question with good intent, as I just bought my M4 recently and do not know what the best sighting system would be. I see lots of people putting all kinds of different optics, but EO Tech seems to be a favorite. What say you?

On 4/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, John Doe said:

🤣🤣🤣

What's wrong with an EO Tech on a shotgun??? I was actually considering it, but what would be your reasoning for not doing so and what would be your recommendation for a sighting system? I ask this question with good intent, as I just bought my M4 recently and do not know what the best sighting system would be. I see lots of people putting all kinds of different optics, but EO Tech seems to be a favorite. What say you?

Do the research on someone before you decide to take their advice. “I’m a gunsmith….I have more optics than anyone” does not make one a SME. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 6:46 PM, John Doe said:

🤣🤣🤣

https://www.swatmag.com/article/heliborne-shotgun-snipers/