Building an M4; Best Components

Haze

Just purchased a m4. I'm looking to find some of the best components for my build.

I'm trying to find the best/best suggested components: Charging handle and Handguard.

• For charging handle I see there are a few options: GG&G, FFT, RX arms, Briley, etc. Is there any major difference between a rotating and non-rotating handle? I like the look of the GG&G or Rx Arms the best. In my opinion, the 3/4" looks the best.
  • For handguard, I'm stuck between Agency Arms and the 8" Briley.
    • Both are nice. The major difference I have found between the two is that the Briley covers the barrel if you were to flip the gun to load whereas the agency arms does not cover the top of the barrel.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

So far my build is:

Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA Type 2 with the ScalarWorks RMR mount.

BFG Vickers Padded Sling

Edited by Haze
  • Like 2

• Haze changed the title to Building an M4; Best Components

I am with you on this. I have recently bought an M4 and I have been doing a bunch of research on it myself. I personally am getting the Brily handguard and a non-rotating charging handle. Briley because it covers the barrel on top for the most part. Let us know what you end up choosing and post pics. Lots of pics lol.

I run rx arms titanium charging handles .comp carrier titanium tubes ..And tryed aftermarket handguards.a they just make a heavy gun even heavier.And suck when you have to breakdown to clean it .So I switched back to factory stippled handguards.And I use scalarworks with t2s

Edited by rubicon20032003
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rubicon20032003 said:

I run rx arms titanium charging handles .comp carrier titanium tubes ..And tryed aftermarket handguards.a they just make a heavy gun even heavier.And suck when you have to breakdown to clean it .So I switched back to factory stippled handguards.And I use scalarworks with t2s

Yep.. exact same setup I run. I also swapped out my 3pos OEM recoil tube for a 6pos RXARMs tube. That #4 position is a game changer.

• Like 1

This is what we are currently working with...

Just picked up the M4 last week, so it's going to be a work in progress.

Can't have pistol grips or folding stocks in my state.

I slapped a 5-round shotgun card on the other side.

I'm stuck between GG&G and Rx arms for the charging handle. I like the larger diameter handle from GG&G, and I've only read great feedback about Rx arms.

• Any issues with the titanium handles? I've read they can wear out over time and to go with a steel one instead.

2PNnH0C.jpg

Edited by Haze

6 hours ago, rubicon20032003 said:

Where did you get the stippled handguards?

i got my oem hand guards done by tango arms. there are users in this forum that offer similar service.

i agree with the guys above. although i didn’t end up buying any of the metal hand guards the perceived consensus on this forum was the added weight didn’t overcome the downsides. the deal breaker for me was the need for tools for removal.  

the one thing i wish is that i had done a full stipple and not just the “standard”. 

Edited by xblax619

31 minutes ago, Haze said:

• Any issues with the titanium handles? I've read they can wear out over time and to go with a steel one instead.

2PNnH0C.jpg

This is why I use a hardened stainless steel tang combined with a titanium handle.

best of both worlds.

7 hours ago, Haze said:

This is what we are currently working with...

Just picked up the M4 last week, so it's going to be a work in progress.

Can't have pistol grips or folding stocks in my state.

I slapped a 5-round shotgun card on the other side.

I'm stuck between GG&G and Rx arms for the charging handle. I like the larger diameter handle from GG&G, and I've only read great feedback about Rx arms.

2PNnH0C.jpg

Heck I got a few thousand running a rx handle no problems.I run them on four m4s…Think rx sales a non titanium one too

Edited by rubicon20032003

Here is the one I mentioned above. https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-m4-tactical-bolt-release-pad.html
it was at one point the go to for most before ffl started offering their version. Then there are versions like this from Taran Tactical (https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/tti-oversized-bolt-release/) but you would have to drill and tap your oem bolt release to add their part. 

Edited by xblax619

11 hours ago, xblax619 said:

Here is the one I mentioned above. https://www.gggaz.com/benelli-m4-tactical-bolt-release-pad.html
it was at one point the go to for most before ffl started offering their version. Then there are versions like this from Taran Tactical (https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/tti-oversized-bolt-release/) but you would have to drill and tap your oem bolt release to add their part. 

Unfortunately the GG&G bolt release is out of stock. Brileys's doesnt look too bad. Any experience with Briley's?

Still don't know what I want to do about handguards. I can get stippled through tango arms. I also really do like the look of the agency arms and briley. I just dont want the gun to start getting heavy.

The Agency Arms rail is a pain in the dick to remove for servicing the ARGO system. If I recall it was like 12 torx screws had to be removed to get the bastard off. So if you do a Loctite regiment every time you back the screws out, you're really going to be hating life. The worst part is it doesn't really offer you a decent weapon light mounting position.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

The Agency Arms rail is a pain in the dick to remove for servicing the ARGO system. If I recall it was like 12 torx screws had to be removed to get the bastard off. So if you do a Loctite regiment every time you back the screws out, you're really going to be hating life. The worst part is it doesn't really offer you a decent weapon light mounting position.

What is your recommendation for the handguard, StrangerDanger? How about mounting a light, and maybe a stage saver?

Edited by Haze

I'd stick with the stippled OEM handguards, for now... Tango does great work as do others I imagine.

I've been riding the struggle bus with a Mesa Tactical 13" Truckee on one of my M4's. I hate the way that thing installs. But it does offer a forward mounting solution with the use of a HotButton. I don't want any barrel shadowing present since I swap out my white light with an IR head for use with my PVS-14 helmet setup. If the light illuminates the front of the barrel and front sight tower, it washes out my view thru the monocular. I had to cut up the rail to get the offset mount to work and bore holes thru the center of the MLOK so I could pass the socket of the HotButton thru the rail and loom the wire internally. One positive about the rail is I can hold the shotgun farther forward than the OEM handguard which fits my body a little better. The direction of the HotButton has ben an experiment I've been doing for the past year or so, and I've found it to be the best weapon light activation system I've had. Momentary and constant on controls and no risk to my thumb during the 12 gauge recoil. Pulling the button to the rear is much more comfortable than reaching forward and pressing.

VS9DSku.jpgarwwaDg.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:11 AM, Kahamu said:

Singuardsolutions.com did mine and I couldn't be happier. I went with the nanoburst texture. Very quick turnaround too.

Did you have to send in your handguards, or do they ship you their own?