Need help cleaning Benelli M4 with the Chrome lined barrel.

Richard G.

Hello,

I just bought a Benelli M4 with the Chrome lined barrel. I have looked everywhere for information on what kind of solvent bore cleaner and oil to use for Chromium. I'm really afraid to use just anything.

I found M-PRO 7 GUN CLEANER (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18373&title=M-PRO+7+PRODUCTS#specs ) that is supposedly "harmless to all metal surfaces, including titanium, aluminum and carbon-discolored stainless steel," but does that mean Chromium? Any of you guys know? Appreciate the help.

Richard G.

Hello RG,

You will be safe using a lot of cleaners on the chrome-lined barrels.

Unless a cleaner specifically states not to be used on chrome, you will be able to use the cleaner on the chrome barrel.

By the way, I use M-Pro 7 on my chrome-lined barrel with no problems.

You are bound to get a lot of opinions on which cleaner to use on your gun.

The reason I went with M-Pro 7 are:

*) Does a great job of removing lead, carbon, copper (rifle) fowling.

*) Safe on polymer or synthetic parts.

*) Does not smell so you can use it in the house to clean your guns.

Regards threeshot

Dont worry with solvents, just get a Hoppes Tornado brush. Its a spiral wound stainless steel brush. Its used dry, without any solvent and in the 4 years of heavy use on my SBE bbl removing lead and plastic, it has never hurt it. Trust me, if you get a solvent tough enough to hurt any chrome lining, it'll dissolve the brush before you get it into the barrel.

• 6 years later...
Dont worry with solvents, just get a Hoppes Tornado brush. Its a spiral wound stainless steel brush. Its used dry, without any solvent and in the 4 years of heavy use on my SBE bbl removing lead and plastic, it has never hurt it. Trust me, if you get a solvent tough enough to hurt any chrome lining, it'll dissolve the brush before you get it into the barrel.

I took this advice and can vouch for its wisdom. I was having trouble getting the leading out of my M4 barrel -- no cleaner did it well, and neither did bronze brushes unless mounted on an electric drill, and even then not very well. But a couple minutes with the tornado brush and the bore is like a mirror.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

when cleaning the first time my M4 barrel (~ 30 slug shots for break in) I've noticed that I got some small chrome remains on the patch. Please see a pic below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2180[/ATTACH]

Is it normal? I'm using M-PRO 7 GUN CLEANER and bronze brush. Do you think the bronze brush did cause this damage. Shall I get rid of it and use only bore snake?

Thanks.

Edited by Tom-Gun

The used M1014 I traded into was heavily leaded but a tornado brush mounted on a rod inserted into my cordless drill at very low speed made very short work of cleaning it out. I cannot imagine having to get that lead out any other way, it'd be a real *****. Even with a tornado brush on a cordless drill it took 15 minutes.

That's lead on your patch. It has a silverish finish. You're fine with your cleaning routine. It's hard to screw up a smooth bored chrome lined barrel.

You're absolutely right SD! One more time I've cleaned carefully, brushing many times and I've noticed that what initially seemd to be a lack of chrome layer it was just a lead fouling :) Thanks.

Edited by Tom-Gun

It may help if you look at it this way - you're shooting hot gases down the barrel with lead projectiles. Should you be more concerned with that or what you clean the barrel with?

Let's see...wipe the barrel with a certain cleaner or blast lead through it. Think logically.