New SBE II shooting right

westksbowhunter

How do see a 3" variance in a typical shotgun pattern at 35 yards?

You have two choices with regard to right and left and the shims.

Cast on and cast off (no Karate kid jokes, please).

Cast off is typically the way a RH gun is set up.

It can be changed to cast on for LH shooters.

I dont think shims will solve your problem.

Shims can adjust the orientation of the mounted gun when you are wing shooting because your

natural mount will be altered and move the shot

direction closer to where you are looking.

While wing shooting, you "aim" by looking

at your bird. In essence, you point the gun at what you are looking at.

Turkey hunting is all together a different activity.

Here, you are aiming your shotgun like you would a rifle. You want to deliver the shot load

exactly where the barrel is lined up to shoot

as indicated by the orientation of front bead and the middle bead (or rib)

Shims wont have any effect excpt it can change

the recoil direction which can ultimately affect the direction of the shot load, but I dont fully

buy this as a means to correct a 3 inch off line.

You have a couple of options.

1. use a scope whereby you can easily zero in

your gun.

2. get the barrel bent. (send to a competent

gunsmith such as Seminole Gunworks)

3. get Briley to make you a eccentric choke.

This choke is bored purposely out of line to bring your point of impact (POI) in line with your

point of aim (POA)

4. get a new gun. Both 2 and 3 option can be expensive and you might not want a ugly scope on your shotgun. The problem is you never really know if the next gun will shoot true

until you test it.

good luck with your turkey hunting., our season is almost over here in Mississipi.

HH

Originally posted by HH:

I dont think shims will solve your problem.

Shims can adjust the orientation of the mounted gun when you are wing shooting because your

natural mount will be altered and move the shot

direction closer to where you are looking.

While wing shooting, you "aim" by looking

at your bird. In essence, you point the gun at what you are looking at.

Turkey hunting is all together a different activity.

Here, you are aiming your shotgun like you would a rifle. You want to deliver the shot load

exactly where the barrel is lined up to shoot

as indicated by the orientation of front bead and the middle bead (or rib)

Shims wont have any effect excpt it can change

the recoil direction which can ultimately affect the direction of the shot load, but I dont fully

buy this as a means to correct a 3 inch off line.

You have a couple of options.

1. use a scope whereby you can easily zero in

your gun.

2. get the barrel bent. (send to a competent

gunsmith such as Seminole Gunworks)

3. get Briley to make you a eccentric choke.

This choke is bored purposely out of line to bring your point of impact (POI) in line with your

point of aim (POA)

4. get a new gun. Both 2 and 3 option can be expensive and you might not want a ugly scope on your shotgun. The problem is you never really know if the next gun will shoot true

until you test it.

good luck with your turkey hunting., our season is almost over here in Mississipi.

HH

This is all fine and dandy and probably makes sense for some guns...just not Benellis in general.

I've been testing Benellis and shim adjustments for about 15 years.

For whatever reason, adjusting the shims changes the POI on the 15 or so Benellis I have worked on.

A shoots higher. D shoots lower. Period. I've got Excel spreadsheets that clearly show the changes. I have shaved shims to tune in numerous Benellis.

I have not done any testing on the new Benelli cast system, so I cannot confirm if this area will react to being adjusted in the same manner as the drops.

I'd mess with the spacers long before I'd buy a new gun...

Also, your turkey aim comment is far from accurate for many turkey hunters. Experienced turkey hunters want to view the turkey's head until the last possible moment to avoid missing those snakey-head toms. In order to do this, one must have a pattern that lifts a bit so you can watch the head and line up the shot. A turkey hunter that blocks out the head of a tom as his POA will miss sometimes, probably often. The POA should be below the head with the POI being the head and neck area.

mudhen - CA

not to be argumentative, but if your gun shoots

1 " off right at 20 yrds , that would translate to

being further off at 30 , which was the point of

your original post.

I dont know why mudhen suggest covering the turkey's head with the barrel when he aims at a turkey. I prefer to put the bead on the bottom

portion of the neck and since my gun shoots about 60/40, it's pretty effective.

There is a reason seminole offers services such as bending barrels and why briley offers eccentric

chokes........ I suggest you contact them

and let them eplain it.

http://www.seminolegun.com/

http://www.briley.com/

HH,

I think you misread mudhen's post.

He says that you do not want to cover the head, because turkeys tend to bob and weave quite a bit.

As far as a shotgun pattern being an inch off at 20 or 3 inches off at 35 yards, I'd say that either is about as good as it gets.

An inch is about twice the width of a 12 ga. shell.

It's a shotgun.

I honestly can't see how one would even discern that a pattern is off by an inch at 20 yards, but I'm willing to learn something new. So, if the OP has a the means by which to upload a photo of this atrocious pattern, I'd love to see it.

If someone wants to turkey hunt with a more precise weapon, then they should definitely consider using a rifle.

And, BTW, I've seen some combinations of shooters and rifles that could do no better than an inch at 20 yards tongue.gif

This morning my son (12 yrs old) and I went out and shot the rest of our guns with the exact set up and shells as we were using with the benelli and all guns pattern much better than the benelli. My sons gun is a 870 youth for $249 and it blows the benelli away as far as pattern. What a dissappointment for $1435.00. Now tell me there is not something wrong with this gun. You know I was hesitant at buying the gun especially at that price but I figured there was a reason that it is so expensive. The shop I bought the gun from has a range and demo guns. I shot both the benelli and extrema 2 at clay targets and was more accurate with the beretta but the beretta jammed once and felt more bulky so I went with the benelli. I am just very dissapointed for the amount of money I spent.

I've already got one, and it's a LH model.

I'm trying to not give you such a hard time about it, but I really think you're nitpicking a bit.

Granted, the factory tubes do not shoot well for me either, but mine with the Rhino Extended tube is good stuff.

As suggested above, you may want to try different loads and an aftermarket tube or two before writing the gun off completely.

Look through mudhen's posts. He's invested a lot of cash into testing various tubes and loads, and his experiences can save you a lot of legwork.

I believe he's even posted some recent patterning photos, so you can see for yourself what the gun will do.

Another point worth making is that Benelli's Customer Service Department is second to none.

If you're unhappy with the performance of the gun, they will listen to you; and if they think your expectations are reasonable (I do not), then they will work with you to satisfy you.

[ 04-22-2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]