Don't kick me

sdkidaho

Ok, is the comfortech system a worthwhile improvement? I -hate- being kicked when I shoot, but seeing the reduction in recoil in the Benelli's it really made it a selling point for me.

Any of the other brands of shotguns out there really don't have anything more inventive than the "Limbsaver", which tells me those manufacturers are leaving it up to someone else to figure out.

So, is it worth it?

I have the SBE II with comfortech stock and the recoil reduction certainly is NOT as advertised!!! It may be a little less, but not 30-40% as advertised. A good recoil pad on the SBE would probably do as much for perceived recoil. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT sorry I bought the SBE II.

I think the lighter weight of the gun and the ComforTech's recoil reduction cancel each other out.

If you shoot mags. in the SBEII, you WILL be kicked in a teeth rattling manner.

In hunting situations, I don't even notice it. On the bench, it's prominent.

I second tucker301's statement. I also notice a large amount of kick from my pump & other auto's when bench shooting/patterning mags with any of my other guns as well. While hunting, it never seems to bothered me. I do think the comfort tech helps on light loads. It seems like I never even shot after a couple rounds of sporty's/trap/skeet. I don't regret it at all, good luck.

[ 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: HavocTec ]

The reason no one else has a recoil system is because no other auto on the market kicks like a Benelli. Most autos are gas operated and that feature takes out much of the felt recoil.

The only auto I have every shot that kicks worse is the old 11-48 remingtons that were recoil operated.

I enjoy my sbeII but still havent decided whether it was worth the price tag.

I've been shooting SBE's for 15 seasons without much thought to recoil.

I have used the mercury recoil reducers for much of the time though. Same for good recoil pads - especially the Sims Limbsaver.

Both of my Browning Golds kick every bit as hard as any SBE I have owned.

My new SBE II shoots fine with much less barrel rise, which is just super for the 40-50 duck hunts & 20 or so days of turkey hunting I do in an average year. I guess I've been too busy huntin' to pay attention to the recoil.

I guess after another 15 years, I'll start to notice the recoil?.....

mudhen - CA

I saw on OLN the high speed photography of the SBE II in recoil. The entire rear stock flexed. I have an 04 catalog someplace and I think they used the SBE I as the comparison weapon in most of the charts. Had several more Brand X's listed but I wasn't able to determine which shotguns they were comparing the recoil of the SBE II to. I've had mine since March, but haven't cranked off a round yet, so I can't say whether or not its a gimmick. The SBE II seems lighter than my Citori, if it doesn't kick me any harder than the Citori, I won't complain.

Meant to add that I have a Browning Gold Slug gun. I shoot that 2 3/4 inch 385 grain Nosler Partition out of it at 1900 fps. I have fired nothing else in my life with that much violent recoil. Its simply vicious. I own, and shoot a 300 Weatherby thats a ***** cat next to Winchester slug load out of the Browning Gold. Until I bought the SBE II my duck gun was a Mag-10. Not even throwing 2 1/4 ounces of lead compares to this 385 grain load in the Browning Gold. Winchester recently came out with a 3 inch load with the 385 grain Nosler. Supposed to run 2000 fps. I ran from the store screaming.