SBE II PROBLEMS a summary Would like comments

sleepydoc

Origionally posted in recoil pad problems:

Well an interesting collection of comments but no reply from Benelli directly. It's beginning to seem that the SBEII is a gun with numerous problems all seeming to relate to quality control.

1) Recoil pads that fall off

2) A stiff safety

3) Choke tube wrench that does not fit all the tubes

4) Swivel point that dont universally fit all sling mounts

Realistically, all problems that should not exist on a $1300 firearm and are seemingly adresses in a piecemeal fashion ie only squeaky wheels get greased. The worst part is that the gun is still being sold in this manner. I spoke with my gun dealer this week and mentioned all the problems and he was surprised and stated he had heard nothing from Benelli on any of these issues but was now going to check each gun out carefully before selling them and would advise buyers to think carefully about the SBE or other guns. People have a high expectation from Benelli and considering the advertising and price of the product, deserve to have that expectation met. This is the first year of the gun being out in the market and all of us knowingly take a risk in purchasing anything in its inception year. But this gun is essentially a SBE with a frozen barrel and fancy stock , nothing more. Was it rushed into production, very likely but I hope Benelli will take the high ground and stop their production, corrrect the problems and do right by all those who have lent thier faith and hard earned cash to a company and product.

Yet with all that, they still sell every gun they make.

Wow, they should really pay more attention to you! They should really learn to appreciate your needs. Do you want a tissue?

It's all cosmetic fluff, just like your trolling drivel.

Gas in my area is now $2.50 a gallon and I drive 25,000 miles a year, Browning Golds in 3" are about to top $950 and the 3.5" is already near $1100, The Beretta Extrema is over $1100 for camo, and Glocks are approaching $600.

Where will the madness end?

Did you know even a new Lexus has around 25 defects right off the assembly line?

Take your fluffy trolling banter elsewhere, or come up with more substantial issues.

Other than the molded sling issue, Benelli has remedied your 3 other panty-bunching complaints.

mudhen - CA

Wow Mudhen,

Is there some reason your taking this personaly? If a product does not work properly most people would look to find what the problem is and fix it. You seem to feel that defects are ok. That I guess is your issue. Benelli offers a post forum to hear comments good and bad. People as yourself perhaps have some other interest that conflicts with the ability to judge a product as a consumer. So what did you do with your Lexus and its problems or is that something your content with. And for the record do you have anything to to with Benelli USA?

Because folks like you abuse this forum for your own personal tantrums.

Title of Post:

"Topic: SBE II PROBLEMS a summary Would like comments"

I merely provided comments as you requested! If you can't handle the replies, don't ask for them!

You didn't ask for comments that necessarily agreed with you, so I thought it was acceptable to disagree with you. Next time you should ask for only replies that agree with you.

The SBE II is functionally sound. As is the Lexus with 25 assembly line defects. Especially since Benelli has addressed and remedied the problems.

Now, if you were addressing a non-remedied problem, then I might be more inclined to agree with your rant.

I'm sure the slipping butt pad is annoying, but Benelli offered the fix. Same with the safety spring issue. Same with the choke tube wrench.

Has anyone here not received the proper choke tube wrench upon request?

Has anyone not had their safety spring fixed upon request?

See where I'm going with this?

Benelli sells a gun created by human beings. Benelli is run by human beings. Give them a chance to be human and fix the little problems.

As to the Lexus issue, you have the defect fixed at the next oil change under warranty. That's what reasonable folks do.

No affiliation with B-USA, just a fan of a little reasonable respect for my fellow human beings...

mudhen - CA

I'm wondering how Benelli has remedied the problem of the recoil pad falling off. I can mask the fact that it still kicks hard from all my non-benelli friends, hopefully won't have any jams, but if the recoil pad falls off I'll never hear the end of it. This is my 4th SBE the last one I had I only used turkey hunting the last 5 years. Had it for about 10 years, When the non recoil SBE II came out I thought I might let the 2x4 Xtrema rest. The comfort tech has not shown me much yet.

Sounds like they advise cleaning off the release agent, and reinstalling with a light silicone adhesive.

I too have heard of some folks claiming they feel no difference with the ComforTech. But about 10 times as many claim that is does work, including some Cali guys that shoot 1000's of magnum rounds a year.

Sounds like felt recoil is sort of a gray area...

mudhen - CA

posted October 24, 2004 10:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the thread SBEII , it seems Benelli Customer Service is advising people to remove the Gel pad and clean all contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol. Then reassemble using a light silicone adhesive.

Regards threeshot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 106 | From: Tennessee | Registered: May 2004 | IP: Logged |

posted October 18, 2004 08:20 AM

I just got off the phone with Benelli Customer Service - very helpful representative - we will see how well her suggestion works. First, Benelli had no reservations about sending me a replacement pad. The CS rep indicated this is the second call like this she has handled in the last week. Benelli wouldn't send me a spare pad; however, I was told I could order one through my local dealer.

I was told that the pads were shipped to Benelli with a "release agent" to assist with the assembly. Benelli recommends that a new owner with this problem clean the butt end of the gun and the replacement pad with rubbing alchohol. Once cleaned, the pad should be re installed using a silicone lubricant.

When I asked about gluing the pad to the stock, the CS rep didn't say yes and didn't say no - did indicate that once adjusted there was little reason to remove the pad. That said, I do have a concern that applying a glue to the pad would void the warranty.

Not completely satisfied but this is a reasonable response -

Posts: 3 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: Oct 2004 | IP: Logged |

Sleepydoc you are by no means the only person unhappy with this firearm.. If you call Benelli they will be more then happy to fix the safety problem as many in this forum have done.. I just shot the gun for the first time this weekend and I am more then a little unhappy with how it preformed in the field.. The recoil pad is a huge joke.. Not only did it fall off every 4 shots but it does not even work... I think the recoil would have been softer if they would have used stone in the pads construction ... I must say every round was equal to getting hit with a rock or 2x4.. And before some pundant chimes in I was only shooting 3" rounds.. The gun failed to impress me enough not to us it on the second day of the hunt.

I myself am very happy with my sbe2 yes I was one of the first one to have to safety fixed in less than a week and I got a new choke tube wrench. And I kept my old sbe and me sbe 2 does shoot softer than my sbe I have probley shot 3000 rounds through it by now. So I have to say I understand being disapointed if you have had problems but I have not and love the gun and my old sbe is going to get lonely in the gun cabinet

David

Laz, you are one of many that say felt recoil is still pretty heavy.

I know many Cali hunters that will take their SBE II's and M2's into the field this year.

One of these guys will get out for ducks about 100 days.

I'll be interested to see what these guys report.

mudhen - CA

Think those who expect a "light" kick from a 12ga. shotgun should reconsider and purchase something of a smaller caliber. Spent 20 years hunting with an over-under 16ga and the day I purchased 12ga. SBE2 sport , immediately noticed far less of a recoil even tho simple logic would suggest otherwise. Muzzle climb of this weapon is reduced to minimum, ammo cycling is flawless , cleaning made easy, recoil pad very comfly and the weapon itself looks great.

Some of you claim that recoil pad is faling off ... I admit , it should be secured a little better , but then again ... ask yourself , why is it happening ?? maybe it's those bulky winter clothes ? maybe try dropping your stock right in the "sweet spot" without snagging ... the pad will not come off if it's placed securely between you and the weapon.

If pad comes off when you place weapon on the ground , that itself is a safety warning to you . Many hunters do this , especially while waiting for that duck to come , they keep their weapon seating in vertical position with one hand near the trigger. It's an accident waiting to happen . Put the weapon on the ground next to you , or across your legs . It's a common thing to snooze while waiting long hours, especially with a buddy next to you keeping a watch.

The only thing i can agree with is the stiff safety. Yep it's a lil too much , this should be fixed.

Quoting :

3) Choke tube wrench that does not fit all the tubes

4) Swivel point that dont universally fit all sling mounts

I am suprised you even mentioned these flaws. It's pointless to even comment on this matter.

I'm not trying to be a smart-*** here .These are just a basic facts every seasoned hunter knows.

Anyways ... thats my 0.02$ ... Hate me if you wish , but first take a moment and think how you handle your weapon.

________

Brunette Webcams

Edited by phenom101

When I invited comments to my statement I expect to hear pros and cons but as far as most are concerned insults and personal attacks are out of line. My comments were regarding Benelli’s quality control. I have no qualms with their customer service, in fact kudos to Christina Day and all there for their prompt attention to problems. Benelli USA is a business not an individual some I’m sure they are thick skinned enough to realize the difference between a personal jab and pointing out a concern with a product.

However, I work in a corporate culture where quality is the ultimate goal. As far as we have been concerned a customer service department is functioning well when they are all bored. The issues I pointed out were all addressed by customer service fairly promptly but that was not the issue. The problems lay back in Italy. The SBE II is an update of the SBE it’s upgrades consisting of a new stock, an expanded trigger guard group and a new barrel and choke system. All three of these areas have had problems that are easily resolved on an individual basis, but could they be better resolved at the point of manufacture? I’m sure this cost Benelli USA a great sum of money to settle these issues on a piecemeal basis. As well, I have bought and paid for my gun but a lot of readers hear are contemplating a new gun. In this case they can identify issues at point of sale or manufacture and resolve them at the gun store rather than making multiple trips or phone calls to service. I am sure CS at benelli would have fewer calls if these issues could even be rectified by the dealer before the gun is sold. Consider this a case of looking out for the next guy. Would I not buy my gun if I had to do it again? No, but I would have the dealer make sure all was well before I left the shop.

As for QC what level of defect is acceptable? On a percentage basis with essentially 4 new components and three having problems and that is a 75% rate. The only way these issues will be fixed at source is to let Benelli know. The SBE is a great gun, other than the issues raised it has performed exceptionally. One can accept that problems will occur during the first year of production but Benelli needs to know what issues to fix. Unfortunately the only way to produce diamonds is to apply heat and pressure. Consider the SBEII a diamond in the rough. Fixed, it is a diamond.

As for the recoil must admit I really notice it only after I’m done shooting my group. In the heat of hunting I did not notice much, but my partner had to give up 3 1/2” as it was tearing away at a previous shoulder repair. Laws off physics are pretty set. The only was to reduce the true recoil is to use smaller shells ( mass change), or channel gas energy to some other route such as operating the reloading mechanism or a ported barrel. The other features modify recoil. Heavier guns need more energy to accelerate to a given speed into your shoulder hence increasing the time of recoil (less perceived) and pads either absorb some energy or spread it out (increasing duration hence less perceived) The Benelli kicks just as much as any pump or double barrel. I really have to suggest a recoil pad that you wear, lower weight faster shot (spreads out the energy curve) and if needed a recoil reducer (mercury) to increase the mass of the gun.

Benelli girl, thanks for the advice re the silicone glue. I just needed to hear what was the approved fix for the problem from Benelli.

Thanks

First off, Drundle, silicone adhesive isn’t just caulk. :rolleyes: There is a specific type of silicone adhesive that I’ve had tremendous success with its called E 3000 its available at any craft store and most home improvement places it comes in white or clear both work quite well just make sure to follow the instructions on cleaning and set time. Caulk has no shear strength and is therefore a poor adhesive for any type of load bearing surface. On another note we all, includeing me :D , seem to forget that when we as individuals make mistakes we make them one at a time. when a manufacturer makes mistakes they make them 10,000 at a time. I’m sure that bennelli is watching this board and they are looking into every one of the complaints posted here. As a matter of fact, they need to watch this board, for the very things that happen here, it saves them millions of dollars in research and development and its actually a lot cheaper to fix defects one at a time till the line can be retooled, than it is to stop the line or have a mass recall for a non safety related issue. Auto manufactures do it all the time they send out forms called TSB’s (technical service bulletins) to dealerships and information companies to provide fixes for problems that are encountered in the real world.

im thinking about getting a SBEII i have two SBE but after seeing all this i don't know....should i wait or buy one now does anyone think Benelli will fix the problems. or does it matter......bottom line should i wait for them to fix it or just buy the gun now. I need a little advice thats all.

nor cal, I think that you would have no problem with the sbe 2. All the problems previously discussed are "window dressing" and the main functions of the gun are and will work well. Benelli customer service is excellent if you have any problems and they return repaired parts promptly. My new m2 safety was fixed within a week as was the safety on my brother's new sbe 2. Yes, there are small esoteric problems with these new guns but the bottom line is the guns are inherently reliable and durable and should serve you well. This is just my opinion and my 2 cents' worth-- good luck

recoil will not change much until you shoot the 3.5's and if recoil bothers you that much I would seek a 410ga. As for the other complaints I've not had the first. Let's not lose touch with reality everything that is mass produce in a short time frame will have defects, that's where good Customer Service plays a big role and from what I've read Benelli is taking care of business.

I have the model 10011, walnut stock and forearm SBEII. Absolutely no cycling problems from Remington 7/8 oz loads up to 3.5inch Winchester steel. The buttpad is very secure, but not a beast to get off...I suppose the wood grain naturally holds onto it. I love the feel, the looks, and function so far. I accept recoil as a 12gauge is supposed to thump. I previously shot a pump gun which leaves me with the impression that SBEII is a little better in recoil. I expect to be thumped when moving up to 3.5inch, that's just the way it is. In the heat of the hunt, I never feel it anyway. Good Luck to you all....I am one happy camper with mine.

Hey Nor Cal,

I have been testing SBE II's everywhere I go, Kittles, Broadway Bait, Wild Sports, etc.

I have yet to find a stiff safety.

I have yet to find a butt pad I can even budge.

Now mind you, no one has overstock on the SBE II, so the guns I am seeing are factory new.

I bet Benelli is quietly fixing the problems and not saying much.

I may have to have one by next turkey season.

mudhen - CA

[ 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: mudhen ]