SBE2 vs Xtrema2

buck_uncle

I'm only familiar with using Benelli's.

Anyone have an unbiased comparison of the xtrema2 who has used both.

From trap to crow to 3.5 inch goose loads.

How about cleaning and what about just from a better design standpoint and quality of materials.

I've read a lot about xtrema2 chokes being threaded sideways and barrels shooting low and left.

Buck,

I just purchase a Benelli M3 with a PG stock. I'm probably gonna go out and shoot it tomorrow for the first time. I'll send you a review. I have been reading a lot of negative stuff lately about the Benelli's, in particular, the SBE and SBEII models. That many complaints from so many different people concerns me. I was looking real hard at them for a second shotgun purchase but I am reluctant to spen that kind of money on something that has problems in the rain.......On the other hand, I have seen nothing but positive stuff on the Beretta 391 Extrema 2. I don't really need the 3.5" power but hey, at their price range , why not and it appears to be relatively problem free, less felt recoil and in my price range.

Thay are both GREAT shotguns. I currently have a SBE II and an M2 both in MAX4 camo and would not give them up for anything. Having said that I would however also carry and Xtrema 2. Main difference that kept me with my Benelli's is the Inertia system. The Xtrema 2 is a top notch gun that performs extremely well . You can do just about anything with either shotgun from trap to hunting...as far as all the negative comments about Benellis...not sure where that is coming from, but coming from an avid waterfowler, Benelli's are some of the most sought after guns in the blinds...people will complain... Cleaning on the Benellis, to me is MUCH easier than ANY gas operated weapon...for example, I recently went out to shoot trap to practice before the season opens, and I shot 5 boxes through my SBEII, brought it home broke it down and it looked extremely clean, cleaned it in 10mins. Quality of materials is very comparable. Haven't heard anything about chokes being threaded badly. They are both great shotguns major piece of comparison for me is I do like the inertia system better than gas, but again I would use both

Originally posted by buck_uncle:

I'm only familiar with using Benelli's.

Anyone have an unbiased comparison of the xtrema2 who has used both.

From trap to crow to 3.5 inch goose loads.

How about cleaning and what about just from a better design standpoint and quality of materials.

I've read a lot about xtrema2 chokes being threaded sideways and barrels shooting low and left.

Both shotguns are excellent guns. The Benelli's are easier to clean and break down. The Benelli kicks more and I think that the beretta gel-tec pad system is more secure and solid than the comfort tec system on the benelli, also the longest LOP on the M2 or SBE is 14 3/8 but usually measures out at 14 1/4. Honestly, I don't think you need 3.5 inch shells because with all that recoil it will eventually affect your shooting, i.e. flinching. I've been through that 3.5 inch deal and if you can't bring em' down with a 3" shell you not going to do it with a 3.5". For long range shooting the most important thing is gun fit at the pattern board and practice off a long range sporting clays tower. Just one guys opinion.

They are very different shotguns. Both very good, just different.

At my shop, the SBE II outsells the Xtrema II by about 3 to 1. We get very few complaints about either model. The complaints we do get are minor; chipped camo film, beads not perfectly aligned, etc. No serious malfunction complaints about either gun.

The biggest difference to me is that the X II is overbored and the SBE is not.

The underbored SBE patterns smaller shot well. I use it for turkeys and with small non-tox for waterfowl.

I prefer overbored and back/or backbored guns for large non-tox shot. These guns pattern the larger shot better for me.

This chart shows the effect of backboring (according to Browning). The SBE II runs around .718 to .723 & the Xtrema II runs around .733:

http://www.browning.com/products/features/detail.asp?id=114

I've patterend 1000's of rounds from Benellis and overbored/backbored guns, so I have a foundation for my views on this matter.

As far as cleaning goes, the Benelli wins, no contest.

Same for handling, the X II is a 2x4 that shoots shotgun shells, the SBE II is a slim & sleek shooter.

Many guys I know own both guns. Each performs a job for these shooters.

Tough call either way...

mudhen - CA

Hey mudhen

I keep hearing that a lot of the xtrema2 shoot to the left is this true??? have you heard this?? I have two SBE II's and a few other Benellis and I love them but I was looking to get a xtrema2 I'm just a gun nut you can never have to many guns smile.gif

just asking for your 2 cents on this. or anyones 2 cents. smile.gif

Thank you

Originally posted by tucker301:

skidaho,

Send me yours and I'll send you mine.

Then we can answer this post :D

Dreamer :D

Originally posted by Lt3097:

I have been reading a lot of negative stuff lately about the Benelli's, in particular, the SBE and SBEII models. That many complaints from so many different people concerns me. I was looking real hard at them for a second shotgun purchase but I am reluctant to spen that kind of money on something that has problems in the rain.

You can find negative stuff about each gun, without fail. What it boils down to is that there are going to be some lemons from each manufacturer (hopefully that percentage is extremely small), and that coupled with the fact that you can't please everyone no matter what you do. Meaning, there is always going to be someone complain no matter how nice the gun is.

Originally posted by mudhen:

Same for handling, the X II is a 2x4 that shoots shotgun shells, the SBE II is a slim & sleek shooter.

I didn't get to shoot both before I decided on which to purchase, though I really wished I could have, but shouldering both I can say that I don't feel like I'm swinging a 2x4. The SBE II is definitely a bit slimmer in that regard but not so much that I feel like I'm swinging a board around.

I absolutely love my Beretta. It was a great purchase and I haven't regretted it at all. I do however believe I would have enjoyed the SBE II as well, though (just not as much ;) ). For me it came down to recoil. I knew the Xtrema would be a softer shooting 12 gauge and so that was what sealed the deal for me. Some guys don't mind the recoil and so that's not a consideration for them.

I'm convinced that Benelli and Beretta make two of the finest autoloaders there are, and the only way you're going to be able to decide is to see what features each has, and see which appeals to you the most. Shoot both if you can (though that is rarely an option, at least it wasn't for me) and that would certainly help you decide.

Benelli was my first shotgun, and it's one I'll own for a lifetime, but that won't keep me from owning other shotguns that perform just as well. As for the negative press each shotgun gets, take the time to look at what the problems are that people are complaining about and determine if they still exist (Xtrema 1's shooting left was a problem, but rarely seen in Xtrema 2's) or if it's operator error (Failure to fire in SBE II's due to not shooting heavy enough loads, yet we seen that complaint continually). Complaints seem to come down to the old saying of "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" or rather - complain loud enough and everyone will hear you.

Not to say that some issues aren't valid, because there certainly are problem guns out there, but there are problem guns out there in every brand, make and model. The two guns you are asking about are both awesome shotguns and depending on what you want, you'll be happy with either.

Best of luck.