How "ready" should I keep an semi-auto shotgun?

kbyrd

Currently, I keep a pistol cocked and locked at my bedside. That is, round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on. I've convinced myself that this handgun is safe this way. There is only one other person in the house and she knows how to operate the pistol. We never have others in the house. Guns are locked up when we're not at home.

I'm getting an M2 soon. It's going to be a bedside gun. How do others keep their semi-auto shotguns ready? Is it safe to keep a round in the chamber and the safety on? If not, why? Is the gun not drop safe? Is it easy to get used to chambering a shell in the the m2 with that small lever with practice?

With practice, it would be easy enough to get a round chambered, but the sound could give away your position to a would-be attacker.

The sound could also let him know you've got a loaded gun. That could be enough to scare him off, or it could provoke a violent reaction.

With only two people in the house, I'd keep one in the chamber, with the safety on.

I am (and my wife is too) used to condition 1 on the pistol, we both practice picking it up and sweeping the safety. I'd prefer to treat the shotgun the same way, having us both practice enough that it becomes muscle memory.

So, I've got nothing to worried about mechanically keeping it condition 1? Are there drop tests performed on long guns? Is there some sort of trigger block that is found in many modern DA/SA semi-auto glock/hk/sig pistols? It's a single action trigger right? That is, I can't really leave it round in the chamber hammer down (I've got a SA/DA pistol).

Thanks for the advice.

[ 11-26-2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: kbyrd ]

What good is a firearm in a home invasion scenario if it is locked up and the ammo is stored in a different place???

But to answere your question, No. You don't have to keep them locked up and seperate.

But if you have kids, which I do, I keep my 45 auto "roostered" and locked in a desk top safe at my bedside. Just push a couple buttons and it's open.

kbyrd,

I assume your pistol is decocked, not cocked. Cocked indicated that you have the hammer (or equivalent) back. Not a safe way to store a pistol, even with the safety on. On some pistols, you can take the safety off and the hammer will fall!

Also.....if you keep shells in your shotgun.......Benelli says you should change out your magazine tube spring once a year OR exercise the spring a couple times a year.

I know the M4 has to pass military drop tests. Not sure about the M2.

[ 11-27-2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

if it is a 1911 style pistol condition 1 means cocked and locked. If it is a series 80 type safety it has a firing pin lock safety. I know many who keep 1911's just like that, all they have to do is snap the safety and squeeze.

And as a side note, if you take the safety off the hammer should fall in my estimation or you have a very poor club. smile.gif I assume you mean the hammer will drop safety on . Safe handling practices are always the best way to avoid accidents in my humble opinion.

That's interesting about the magazine tube spring. It'll get excercised MORE than a couple of times a year, I have to practice!

I hear this a lot about pistol magazine springs as well. However, it is my understanding that constant compression on a spring doesn't wear it out, motion does. But having a replacement can't hurt.