Not firing

blackdogs

I bought a new benelli SBII after not being happy with several other autos. My buddies shoot benelli's and just don't have issues.

Well so far I have shot 12 boxes through it. The first 8 boxes were all duck and goose loads. I didn't have any issues. Today I shot several boxes of cheap trap loads and it cycled them fine. Only issue is on several occassions it didn't fire. I could feel the firing mechanism move when I pulled th trigger but it didn't fire. Also the primer was not dented at all. But I did definitely feel something move nad it moved enough I could feel it. Not like a typical firing failure I have experienced with other guns.

Other clues to the potential route cause. Sometimes I was having difficulty getting shells in the magazine. Other times they slid right in. I also had one shell right at the end the last of 4 shots not eject. I put more in and shot and no problems. Something is going on and I wondered if anyone knew what might be going on. The place I bought it is excellent and will fix it and stand behind it but I was wondering if it was something simple or something somebody knew about.

READ OWNERS MANUAL, functions on this gun are awkward until ya get used to them, they are itialin in design so eat some lasagne and enjoy cause my SBEII has been flawless and i do not shoot deer legs with it! 17 to 18 on trap with it and if ya need customer service i would advise ya to call them instead of getting an opinion from most of the Benelli haters on this forum! Ya are supposed to shoot 3 boxes of the heaviest loads you can put in them before shooting any lighter loads! if ya got problems then send it to manufacturer everyone gets a ford on occasion or a chevy!! benelli hater page can be found on google!

[ 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: HOGWILD ]

when ya manual realease the bolt or pull it back you will have instances where it will not rotate fully closed , that is why there is a bolt release which will ensure it closes completly! not to say that their could be a problem but some problems are self inflickted ??

I don't know any other auto I would be shooting shells like this!! I am definitely not a benelli hater but maybe some of those will know what may be going on.'

I shoot several boxes of heavier loads. It isn't hte bolt head not rotating I don't htink. Even when I cycle hte first shell it is occassionally happening. I just went out and shot 2 more boxes and not one jam or misfire. Still using cheap light shells. I will just keep an eye on it nad if I have problems again I will get it in to get it checked out.

The only thing I don't like so far is the recoil. It sure feels to me that it kicks more than any other gun I have shot. I think that is because it is quite a bit lighter. I wish it was just a bit heavier. I may look at adding some weight to get it to kick just a little less. Never been recoil shy but this gun really seems to poke after hundreds of rounds.

You will not be able to load shells in the magazine

when the bolt is not fully turned into battery.

The bolt must be at the furthest counterclockwise

position to fire or load shells into the magazine.

This could be caused by: easing the bolt down

into position, a dirty chamber slowing down the shells entry to chamber, debris at the ring of chamber or a dirty bolt, rails or recoil spring.

Regarding recoil, Extrema II with kick off is your answer.

Expensive shotgun and ya shoot sheap shells in it go figure i am at a loss, call benelli!!!!!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!! I agree the recoil on my SBEII rocks when ya shoot 3 1/2 heavy loads but DUGH they are supposed to!! let me think oh yea, the 2 3/4 shells do not kick quite as bad?? HUMMM!

I really like the gun. I have nothing negative to say. I am going to shoot it a lot just to work the bugs out of it if there are any.

The explanation for not loading in the magazine because the bolt not being in postion makes sense.

I am not going to shoot cheap shells when hunting obviously. When you go out to bust some clays and want to shoot a bunch why buy expensive shells. It is no big deal for me if I get a few hick-ups. It cycled them perfectly for several boxes. Then continued to cycle them but the firing pin or mechanism fired and I felt it but no dented primer nad no bang!! I took it back out later and shot another couple of boxes without issue.

I completely understand that cheap shells may cause issue. I didn't expect it to cycle them as well as it did. The part that perplexed me was it cycled them but then didn't fire? Could have been the shells. But sometimes it was the first shot when I put the bolt forward with the bolt release and it hammered forward hard.

I think it kicks fairly hard with 2 3/4" shells. I am a very experienced shotgunner and have shot a lot. I also think it kicks much worse with 3.5". Not complaining just stating a fact. It is no where near intolerable just more than I would like.

I am as pro Benelli as one can get. I have friends who have gunned with the Benelli for several years and I will tell you they are a very reliable gun. I have seen these things get dumped in the water and still work perfectly. Seen them full of mud and still work, have seen them work in some of the worst conditions. I have had berretas, brownings, baikals and remingtons before getting this gun. Based on all the serious waterfowlers I know and hunt with Benellis are the gun to get.

Just cause a guy asks some questions lets not get huffy. I shot other auto and pumps side by side with the benelli and there is no doubt the recoil is mroe with the same ammunition. There are way more pluses than minus's but I am still going to be honest about the recoil.

Did I appear drunk in my post? Or is there an inside joke I am missing. I type really fast and can type as fast as I talk. That may make it appear as though I am rambling.

I haven't had anything to drink yet but now that you metion it I may go have a beer.

quit shooting shells your gun will not shoot like the warning in the owners manual tells ya to do!! if ya can't handle 2 3/4 shells get ya a .410 ya gotta love a thummper, benelli also warns about not using any other oil than the one that comes with your gun, quit drinking long time ago but still have owners manual and just seems some people would complain just to be complaining! Most skeet shooters in know do not use SBEII but when ya go to shooting reloads and walmart special shells especially light loads ya should be able to figure out that maybe i should spend a couple more quarters and buy some worthy shells!! HUFF! HUFF! Gotta love the recoil or are we going to moan about a shotgun that kicks? PLS!

Originally posted by blackdogs:

Did I appear drunk in my post?

Actually, no.

Yours was about the only one that seemed to string together coherent, sensible thoughts into complete sentences.

Regarding the problems you're having, there are a couple of suggestions.

1. If the problem only occurs with cheap trap loads, then stop shooting cheap trap loads.

Several SBEII owners have experienced similar issues with cheaply made shells. Easy enough to fix.

2. Disassemble the bolt group completely and make sure that there are no burrs or rough edges on either the firing pin or the hole in the bolt through which it travels.

If you need help with disassembly and re-assembly then click here to download my PDF guide.

3. Enjoy your beer!

guess the cheap shells and shells that benelli says will not fire in your gun are the ones you should not use in your gun HUM! as far as you that reload shot shells i would pay close attention to where it list a charge weight, that i used and measuered it and why would someone reload light loads is beyond me but cheap primers or wet primers could be a problem especially if ya spill beer on them as your are reaching to pick up your smoke that hit the floor! oh yea if the shoe fits put it on HUF HUF!

I read the owners manual and it didn't state all the things you said for the most recent SBII. I reread it just to make sure. Some stuff Tucker mentioned was in there. Thanks for your help.

Hogwild you have some serious issues. I have been chatting on lots of chat boards for 9-10 years and have yet to run into someone as limited as you. Why do you respond if you have nothing intelligent to say? Aren't there moderators on this site that can get rid of the immature people? MOst other sites I visit they don't allow people like this.

need to read again and thanks for the compliments and maybe you will be able to figure out that everone else on this forum is telling all of yall the same thing and hopefully that thin skin will tuff in time! it's called report post as in whistleblower!! not here to cause trouble just share an opinion that some of us here look for guidance but never follow it!! and yes i have issues similar to yours but thin skin i am not, intelligent i never claimed and immature well i thought we all had issues with that? Oh yea if you have been chatting on boards for that long how did ya find a gun chat forum? HUFF HUFF! guess you area a selective reader?

There is no thin skin at all. I am not irritated by anything you have said or posted. Just surprised by how you post. Maybe you arne't used to these types of forums yet.

I found this chat just before I bought the benneli. I am on duck and dog training chat boards all the time. Been chatting a lot online since 1997. YOu are truly a piece of work. How long have you been posting to chat boards? Did you just find them? Do you post on others?

Check out the Benelli website and find owners manuals and make sure ya read the British version and pay close attention in the SBEII manual on pages 48 & 54 i would be nice like Tucker and post links and underline and speak coherent but i am PC challenged and not a Comp Tech/Dr Burns, but most of what i have said can be found on these 2 pages!! My real problem is i am a retired "enlisted" C-130 Crew Chief with knowledge!! oops that was maybe TMI!! LOL, Oh yea after 217 days in Desert Shield/ Storm i surprise a lot of people but it's really the 20 years of Uncle Sam's BS that pushed me over the edge!!Your problem is a cheese head issue or maybe an Officer? Least ya got a great shotgun and thick skin no hard feelings and remember beleive everything ya read on this forum and good reading!! Tucker can help you with larger paragraphs since he is DR PHIL/BURNS HUFF HUFF!!

[ 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: HOGWILD ]

LOL!! No disrespect intended, i just wish we could all get along!! HEHE!! Is it not true that benelli says use their synthetic lube on their SBII's or am i above the 6th grade education level of reading that uncle sam has let me obtain? Also does the owners manual not say that if your gun will not cycle a shell it should not probably be in your gun to start with? Lotta people need help with simple issues wich are non issues and i hope their SBEII puts a blood blister on those who refuse to submit to the torture a SBEII puts out!! HEHE!! I feel like that guy in the benelli commercial that did not have the comfort tech stock and he got wacked back to the tree and just wished he had a benelli cause they do not knick as hard as a Browning?? sorry here i go again being incoherent, unintelligent and completly ,toatally WRONG so nuff said

All right lets leave it at that.

The benelli absolutely kicks harder than a browing. I shot the gold and A5 a ton. I used to be a browning fan. THe benelli absolutely is more reliabel than the gold. More htan the extrema and more htan any other auto. The fact is even with the new stock it kicks. Nothing I can't handle but it is more than most autos.

The science is pretty simple on why the Benellis outkick most others.

The recoil from a given shell is what it is.

This energy can be lessened by several means.

Probably the most energy comes off from its having to set the gun itself into motion. The heavier the gun, the more energy required to move, the less recoil transferred to the shooter.

Energy in gas-operated guns is also dissipated through the gas mechanism and is used to cycle the action.

Inertia guns do not have this feature, and unless they're ported or comp'd, they lose no gas (unlike me).

The last way a gun can lessen felt recoil is by dissipating it over more surface area. Recoil pads and Comfortech systems do this by compressing as the energy is transferred through them.

As the soft elements compress, energy is robbed from the recoil before it reaches the shoulder.

Benellis are light, and they use no gas to cycle the action.

All they have is the recoil pad and the Comfortech system. That's it.

There ya go again!! but once again 100% correct, BDOG i hope you were paying attention and it's ok if you lost your owners manual!! just use some Mobile 1 or some ATF to lube your gun, a fellar on another website suggested using these products on all his expensive weapons. See i do frequent other gun forums but my my my ,the opinions really are kinda funny and sometimes quite complicated. Guess me originally being from Arkansas is my whole problem and i did inhale and no i did not vote for him so do not ask! Yall pattern some winchester extended range and let me see those smiles as you throw away a couple empty boxes!!

Black dog

Unfortunatly i spent 1500 on a supr sport and have run into the same type of issues.

1.The pin not hitting th primer.

The trigger hanging up in the fired position so when the next shell cycles you can not pull the trigger.

I have the same problem as blck dog.

It sounds like a manufacture issue.

I will contact Benelli

I am sure they will take care of it

But I bought the gun to use this season not spend time in the Mail.

What do I do during leagues.

Originally posted by slsail:

Black dog

Unfortunatly i spent 1500 on a supr sport and have run into the same type of issues.

1.The pin not hitting th primer.

The trigger hanging up in the fired position so when the next shell cycles you can not pull the trigger.

I have the same problem as blck dog.

It sounds like a manufacture issue.

I will contact Benelli

I am sure they will take care of it

But I bought the gun to use this season not spend time in the Mail.

What do I do during leagues.

Do some searching on the forum and read the above replies by Tucker.

The bolt on your gun is not closing. Most likely cause is operator error and/or crappy shells.

The bolt must close fully to allow the gun to fire properly. You are perfectly describing the infamous Benelli 'click'. The 'click' is the hammer falling, but not firing because the firing pin cannot be exposed due to the bolt head not being in the correct position.

Follow the break in procedure that is in your manual and see if that helps.

If not, you may have to shoot hotter trap loads. I know about 10 S II/SS/Cordoba shooters and all their guns work perfectly. My buddy is a 83 average sporting clays shooter and all he uses are the Federal Golds (or something like that) and he hasn't had much of an issue in his many years in the leagues.

mudhen - CA