Randy Cain Tactical Shotgun

Ghost Dancer

I finished Randy Cain's Tactical Shotgun Class at Southern Exposure in Lakeland, Florida this weekend.

Randy is an amazing instructor, is verty thorough and really knows his stuff. I have read alot about his handgun classes, but his tactical shotgun nclass is two thumbs up.

At the begining of the class a lot was siad about "Those Benellis", how they jam and how the Remington 870 Wingmasters are THE way to go. The class had 18 people and there were six Benellis ranging from a Nova, to two M4's.

There were a number of 870 jams, short strokes, etc. There was only 1 benelli jam after one guy loaded a 12 ga 00 buck shell backwards.

The class was three full days, we zero'd the shotguns at 75 yards using slugs and all in all shot almost 500 rounds.

In general, the Benelli's performed as well if not better than anyother shotgun. In fact, the M4's were amazing especially with the extended mag tubes and the ability to hold 8 2-3/4" rounds including one in the chamber.

I had heard all the BS about Benellis not being able to run in a 3 day class shooting hundreds of rounds without jamming. Excuse my french but that is just complete Bull$*%@.

I love hearing stuff like this.

While a pump action is MECHANICALLY more reliable than a semi auto it ASSUMES no opertator error. In stressful situations, you get lots of short stroking and FAR more jams than with a good semi auto.

There are lots of police officers who use 870s on the range for years without short stroking and then, in a shoot out, they short stroke.

This is one reason why the military and many police agencys are going to semi autos. The M4 will be an improvement over the other Benelli semi autos which are inertia driven and more prone to problems from not providing a good "recoil base."

Originally posted by Ghost Dancer:

In fact, the M4's were amazing especially with the extended mag tubes and the ability to hold 8 2-3/4" rounds including one in the chamber.

I had heard all the BS about Benellis not being able to run in a 3 day class shooting hundreds of rounds without jamming. Excuse my french but that is just complete Bull$*%@.

8? You surely mean 9 smile.gif

And I'm glad you've come over to the dark side.

Now you just have to worry about that super hard to move safety and all the noise it makes ... I hear perpetrators can hear it from a mile away.

[ 09-26-2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Duggan ]