Does the SB2 have a common problem on jamming?

otis325

I am going to get a new shotgun in the very close future. I was going to get the xtrema, but then I decided that maybe I wanted a gun that was easier to clean, so I am looking at the SB2. Problem is after reading all the posts, it appears there are lots of problems with the SB2 not cycling rounds like it should. I dont want a gun that I need to fiddle around with or pull out a dremmel after so many rounds to make it work. I want a gun, after broken in correctly shoots fine, unless I fail to clean it.

Is the failure to cycle that I have read about on the SB2 common for this gun?

A very small percentage of new owners have reported problems with their guns.

The numbers are probably less than or equal to the average for all gunmakers.

The gun comes with a 5 year warranty and it is backed by a customer service department that is second to none.

Don't buy it one day and go on a $4,000 goose trip the next.

Buy it, break it in, clean it, and use it afield.

It is man-made mechanical device and therefore is subject to flaws and breakdowns, but I'd rather have my SBEII than any other shotgun available today.

Mine has never jammed and I've never had to file or grind anything.

I also read similar things on jamming about the SBE 2. I bought it anyways and have had no problems. I did read the manual and do as suggested as to shooting quality ammunition and not under power type.

To break it in I went to the trap range and shot four rounds with Hi brass quality ammunition and after that there has been no problems. I can only remember two or three malfunctions using my SBE 2 but one was my fault. I checked the chamber by by pulling back the charging handle a few just to see if there was a round inside.

I went to shoot and it just went click. I later found out that when I let the charging handle forward with the carrier it did not seat fully forward.

I like the Benelli's and have two of them, a Nova and the SBE 2. I will be purchasing the M4 soon.

The benelli sbe II is a great gun, if your a serious waterfowler i highly recommend this gun. I bought mine for this years season and did tones of skeet shooting as well. I put well over 5,000 rounds through it this year and only had a couple jams. These jams only occured with the light loads but these types of things will happen with every gun from time to time. I've used a high quality pump and it's jammed on me before. All in all, the sbe II has no cycling issues and like tuker said if it does send it in and get a new one! I was using my gun in the snow, heavy rain, freezing rain and never once had a problem in the field. The benelli is a great gun and you wont and can't go wrong if you buy the sbe II. I must admit the new xtrema is a slick gun as well and i would love to own one too, thes best advice i can give you out of the two. Get the one that feels the best, fits the best and you will be set! Good luck and enjoy your selection!!

Originally posted by otis325:

I am going to get a new shotgun in the very close future. I was going to get the xtrema, but then I decided that maybe I wanted a gun that was easier to clean, so I am looking at the SB2. Problem is after reading all the posts, it appears there are lots of problems with the SB2 not cycling rounds like it should. I dont want a gun that I need to fiddle around with or pull out a dremmel after so many rounds to make it work. I want a gun, after broken in correctly shoots fine, unless I fail to clean it.

Is the failure to cycle that I have read about on the SB2 common for this gun?

No. If it were common, Benelli would not be selling every gun they can ship to the US.

But, if the above comments are a true indication of your requirements in a gun, then I suggest you do not purchase a semi-auto shotgun of any brand.

Also, do not purchase a pump shotgun of any brand.

Also, do not purchase an over and under or side by side of any brand.

Also, don't purchase a single shot of any brand.

Also, don't buy any commercially made ammunition.

Other than that, buy whatever fits you best smile.gif

mudhen - CA

Thanks for all your comments, except for mudhen who I raise my longfinger at. I ask a legitimate question and look at the ridiculous answer I get. I see he is from California. Probably one of those activist who would like to take our guns and hunting away. Every response I read, that is from him it is insulting and degrading.

Before I make a $1200 purchase of a gun, I want to make sure I am getting quality and something that will last. I was set on an xtrema until I decided I wanted something that a little easier to clean and a little more reliable in the cold weather. Thats why I asked the question that I did.

Once again, thanks for the great input!

Geez,

Doesn't anybody use a bolt-action shotgun anymore? The first shotgun that was truly mine was a 16 gauge JC Higgins bolt action. Back in those days, the 3" Marlin "Goose" gun with it's 32 inch barrel , WAS, the duck/goose gun to own. Love those days! Maybe Benelli could work up a bolt action 20 gauge?! I'm getting pretty tired of my S90M1 and 20 gauge Monty working all the time. We need a Benelli bolt action.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Originally posted by otis325:

Thanks for all your comments, except for mudhen who I raise my longfinger at. I ask a legitimate question and look at the ridiculous answer I get. I see he is from California. Probably one of those activist who would like to take our guns and hunting away. Every response I read, that is from him it is insulting and degrading.

Before I make a $1200 purchase of a gun, I want to make sure I am getting quality and something that will last. I was set on an xtrema until I decided I wanted something that a little easier to clean and a little more reliable in the cold weather. Thats why I asked the question that I did.

Once again, thanks for the great input!

Grow up and make you own decisions :rolleyes:

Typical Utah elitist drivel...your dried up dusty state just ain't as great as you blab to everyone it is...

You should take whatever gun you buy and do the right thing...

mudhen - CA

(That's CA - where we buy more guns that any other state in the US - kill more ducks than any other state - spend more money on hunting & fishing than any other state - do more business with Cabelas than any other state - do I need to go on?)

Now take your two trolling posts and move on...

Howz that? smile.gif

Otis325

You may have asked a legitimate question however, it seems you are asking for help deciding to buy or not buy a Benelli based on a few negative posts. I can tell you I've heard of Extrema's jamming and shooting to the left.

It also seems that you expect absolute total reliability. That subject has come up here before may times.

No shotgun maker or any other make or model of gun guarantee's total reliability. It is a machine made by man and is always subject to malfunction.

That is the point brought up in this post by more than just Mudhen.

I don't know and have never met Mudhen but I can tell you he has helped many people here and he is far from anti gun or anti hunting and very,very knoweledgable. He is direct, as are others on this forum. I did not take his first reply to you as insulting or degrading to you. Just direct.

Actually your comments are much more direct.

I own 4 Nellies including a SBE II and can report to you I have had no problems with any of them. Ever.

Good Luck with whatever you decide on.

Oh Well. Looks like I need to brush up on my typing speed skills a bit. :D redface.gif

[ 11-28-2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Full Bore ]

I just bought my SBE II on 24Nov06. I wanted an auto because I shoot sporting clays with friends after each hunt and found that my NOVA was a handycap on the second shot. Also I think I have on occassion missed a second shot on woodduck due to the pump. I went to a trap range on Sat just to see how it would shoot. Five boxes of target loads and not one problem. I was expecting at least one hang-up due to a new gun with light loads but she shot like a dream. I also looked at the Extrema2 but it felt a little big for me. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. You can't go wrong with the SBE II in my opinion and here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland the SBE is well respected.

The beretta is a reliable gas operated weapon. I have a 3" AL390 that has served me well with general care. If you get the gas gun get a set of cleaning brushes for the gas system from"Troy inustries?" I'll have to verify the name. Most autos have their detractors. The Browning A-5, the 1187, the 1100, the 390/391, even the venerable sbe. With reasonable care any will serve you well. What I do not like about the 391 extrema's is the massive forarm bulk. It feels like a 10 gauge. I have an M2 slug gun, newly purchased. If you get the SBE, shoot heavy loads for at least the breakin period. That is the recipe for success I have seen repeated in several forums over the years. I like the M2's slim forearm and general pointability. I am the first in my bunch to get a benelli but the fit and finish are good but I did have one failure to reload on the 4th slug,,, probably something I did, the 50 or so rounds beyond that were flawless.

I agree with the break-in using heavy field loads. Unfortunately the trap range wouldn't let me use them. I think the gun is so tight out of the box that the action has to be worked in. Heavy loads help do it quicker with fewer problems out of the box. I plan to do a heavy load break-in on my next field outing along with some pattern testing. Even so, I still had no hang ups on my first 125 shots.

When I took delivery of my SBEII the box had never been opened so the gun had not ever been assembled (except at the factory I'm sure). The tolerances were extremely tight. I had a little trouble assembling it the first time. Specifically the bolt handle required a gentle pry to get it out and the Fore-end stock was very hard to slide over the magazine tube. I'm not complaining a bit, I would rather see a superb tight fit than a sloppy fit.

I put back together a BPS today that someone else had disassembled and broke.

That experience convinced me that I'll never own a BPS.

The point to that statement is that a loyal BPS owner/shooter would swear that I'm not only wrong, but out of mind as well.

Find a gun you like.

Shoot it. Clean it. Learn it.

Grow to love it, or try another one.

This is want I think you want to know. I own a SBE I and a Extrema II. The SBE I has problems

in dirt Goose pits with alot of dirt getting into the action. This is well known thru out our hunting club of 200 members. I have not had that problem with the Extrema II. The SBE I will not shoot light 1oz loads unless you install a lighter recoil spring. The Extrema II will. The Extrema is harder to clean, but the Extrema has much less recoil with heavy 3 1/2" loads. Assuming a clean gun, most of my jams have been from improper sized ammo. I had some Federal 3 1/2" BBB steel shot that would not operate through either gun, it had to be those loads.

Not every round in the four boxes was bad, but after I checked them, there will many that were oversized.