Recoil Reduction Benelli Nova

OldFart

I recently purchased a new Benelli Nova and the 14 oz recoil educer and bracket. Still have Q's

1. Does anyone have experience with the recoil reducer? What can I expect from it??

2. Any experiences with an aftermarket turkey choke, especially ported/slotted to reduce recoil??

3. Anybody found an aftermarket recoil pad?? I am aware that SVL (SIMS) has a slip on to fit the Nova.

I have 2 Kick EEZ pads on rifles and they are very!! effective. Thanks Ray

[ 02-26-2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: OldFart ]

I don't have a Nova, but a SBE instead. I installed the recoil reducer and Limb Saver recoil pad the same day. This combo seemed to reduce recoil by about 30%. Most noticable was the elimination of the sharp "slap" with slugs and 3 1/2" turkey loads. The recoil reducer balances the gun nicely with a heavy slug barrel. I also have the Kick's Gobblin Thunder choke. The ported design maybe reduces muzzle rise my an inch or two, maybe. Hope this helps. I would expect very similar results from a Nova.

I have used a buttstock mounted recoil reducer in a SBE deer gun, and it seems to be effective. As for turkey chokes, I plan on using a 2" extended Rhino choke, which is ported. Have not patterned with that choke, but have heard of excellent results from other websites (http://www.nitrocompany.com). I am going to pattern with that choke within the next couple of weeks. If you are interested in the Rhino choke for your Nova, I would contact a nitro company representative and find out which Rhino choke has provided the best performance with Benelli Nova's. The aftermarket recoil pad that I use is the Hi-Vis X-Coil recoil pad. Only drawback is that you need to have a gunsmith fit the pad to your shotgun (unless you are good with a grinder). But, the X-Coil is suppose have better recoil reduction than the Pachmayer Decelerator and Limbsaver pads. The X-Coil advertises a side-to-side comparison where they quantify competitor's recoil reduction against the X-Coil. I was skepticle, until I talked with a gunsmith who only had good things to say about the X-Coil pad.

Good luck,

Kevin

I've been wanting a better pad for my NOVA ever since I got it. Problem is, no company offers a direct replacement ... and, according to their tech reps, they don't plan to. That really bites. Especially with the popularity of the NOVA.

I was in a gun shop the other day and the owner said a Benelli rep had been there and that his news was, "The butt pads on the new BSE stocks would fit right into a NOVA." If this is true, the question remains, will we be able to purchase just the butt pad?

PowDuck and Others

Don't know about tech reps but I Emailed SIMS and KickEEZ directly:

1. KickEEZ said they were developing a pad for the Nova but it was only in the design stage and "they wouldn't venture to guess how long before it hit the market."

2. SVL (SIMS) stated they had a slip on pad (10547 Medium) that would fit the Nova and tests had shown it gave the same protection as a fitted pad.

Only repeating what the companys told me, I can cy and post their Emails if anyone wishes.

I purchased the SIMS slip on pad, the Benelli Recoil Reducer and bracket and have a Hastings ported choke on the way. If all this does not "tame" the recoil, I give up in that regard, however I am considering putting a scope on the Nova if I can find a mounting system for it. Thanks Ray

OldFart, I think you crazy. It ain't hardly required to have recoil reduction lol. If you read my post about my coyote hunt, I managed to kill 2 coyotes one at 8 yards and one at 12 with 3.5" 00 buck mags. The first shot one handed, and I was able to reload and fire very quickly and hit so they musnt be terrible. I use the 3.5" T shot on geese always. Plus I am only 17, so surely you can take it???

Ive just installed a recoil reducer on my Nova. Works great. Shot 30 rounds of mixed 3&3.5 shells through it and did fell a lot less recoil. It helps greatly on the range. I shoot Winchester 3" 2oz 6's through a HS strut Undertaker and at 38 yards it produces a great pattern although it breaks up past that point for some reason.

Sensitivity to recoil is an individual thing, and "I never notice a thing" doesn't help people who ARE sensitive! Size, age, shoulder injuries, arthritis, surgery, and a dozen other things can change your attitude about recoil in a hurry.