SBE II extractor problem

Echo

SBE II not fully ejecting shells, 3" and 3.5". Will come half way out of chamber then seems the extractor slips off the shell flange. Never happened last year but now most every time. Tension of extractor spring seems OK? Anyone had a similar problem. Thank you in advance. :(

No. My SBE's & SBE II eject all shells just fine.

I suspect it's your shells.

What brand are you shooting?

I've seen Kents, Estates, Remingtons, and some Federals that do not eject well due to sloppy manufacturing. The problem seems greater in 3.5" shells.

Are the empties hard to remove manually? Maybe the shells are over-expanding in the crimp area?

Clean the gun well - lightly oil, look around for grit and/or grime that may be gumming something up.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by wallhanger54:

Echo, how mechanically inclined are you and do you have access to a grinding wheel? If so, I can give you something to try.

Wallhanger, I am reasonably mech inclined and could find a grinding wheel. What did you have in mind?

See my post for the same problem Oct 11. Shells could be a problem, but should a gun be that picky with certain brands. Mine jams happened with Win. I do think there's something to having the gun shouldered securly when firing, and breaking in according to manufacture. I've never shot autoloader shotguns before, and having shot doubles for over 40 years with never a problem, my expectations were pretty high. My buddy had his new Browning gold gas system jam shooting ducks last week. I really like the SBEII and not quite ready to give up on it yet!

Echo, I dont know if you got my message. I was going to say that if you remove the spring and ejector plate and grind the rear tab of it down to about a 1/16" it will allow more travel to the rear for the 3" and especially 3.5" shells. I have found that this clears up many stovepipe situations. Make sure you deburr and smooth the edges before you put it back in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the same problem with my SBE II. Purchased last year and never had a problem.

This past weekend using 2 3/4" Federal Premiums #4's, it jambed 6-8 times catching the shell by the brass flange on the way out. I tooked it back to Cabella's who sent it out to there gunsmith, waiting to hear back.

Another buddy with a SBE has had the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Echo:

SBE II not fully ejecting shells, 3" and 3.5". Will come half way out of chamber then seems the extractor slips off the shell flange. Never happened last year but now most every time. Tension of extractor spring seems OK? Anyone had a similar problem. Thank you in advance. :(

I was told by the Benelli REP not to use teflon based lubes he said it would cause cycling problems