Nova Forend

john1911

Eh, haven't been impressed with the most recent production of 870's (express). Quality is a bit suspect and there have been rampant issues with rust.

At any rate, the best way to remove the rattle from the Nova foreend is to tighten the two allen-headed screws where the pump arms end within the foreend. Try to tighten them the same number of turns. When you go too far in, the foreend will not move as easily. Back it out a bit and you should be in great shape. Removed 80% of the rattle out of my Nova.

Good luck!

[ 02-25-2006, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Cleric ]

I do agree with Tucker. The 870s are awsome shotguns. I have 2 of them. A Remington 870 Wingmaster LW Magnum 20 Gauge, and a Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Combo with 26 inch vent rib barrel and a 20 inch fully rifled deer barrel. I really like both of my 870s. I made a decision whether to save for the new SuperNova or Buy my Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Combo... I made this decision to buy the Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Combo right before new year of 06. I love them 870s... and Remingtons for that matter.

Later,

BenelliBoy

Yeah you can't really contend the reliability and staying power of the 870. I've got a couple, in my collection. One is a Wilson Scattergun with all the tricks. The other is almost older then me and was once a police officers. Little Hoppes # 9 some Miltec and its still good to go. I have a Nova H20 and at first I didn't like the "rattle" it gives the impression something is wrong, maybe a loose part. It can definitely give one an unsettling feeling when handling for the first time. I've handled over a dozen Novas and they all rattle. But they all also shoot well without fail. However I've watched people not purchase a Nova because of the forenend moving just that little bit. One guy said to me "if its rattling new, in the store, whats it going to do after I've run a few hundred rounds through it?" "Well" I said "still rattle a little, thats the way its designed." No sale. Like I said I have a nova H20 and I've ran it a bunch of laps and it still looks NIB once I clean it and its given me no problems.

There is a very easy way to remove the rattle from the nova fore end.

1) Buy about 4-6 inches of 3/4 inch wide sticky-back velcro, preferably black. That is much more than you'll need but I don't think they sell less.

2) Cut velvet side so that it fits the inside contour of fore end where it first encounters the receiver. It cushions and wipes with every stroke.

3) Now at the front of the fore end where it sorounds the magazine tube needs its forward edge radiused with a few strokes of an emory cloth.

4) On the magazine tube where the fore end rests when loaded and cocked apply a layer or two of slick surfaced pressure-sensitive tape.

This process essentially shims up the parts that rattle with cheap low drag material. It makes a huge difference.

I have 3 remington firearms, a LH express 870, 870 super mag with the hardwoods camo finnish and a LH 11-87. I bought my LH 870 six years ago and two and a half years later I picked up my supermag. I have had NO problems with either gun. I used to think that my 11-87 was great but after I got my SBE I hardly ever shoot it. My only gripe with remington shotguns is that, for me anyway, thier stocks are to short. I am 6'2'' and 190 lbs and every remington shotgun I pick up I wish that the stock was 1'' longer. This even goes for the newest models on the dealers shelf.