Mercury Recoil Reducer for SBE SteadyGrip

KevinK

Well, I decided to do some legwork and try to find the answer, myself.

I purchased the Benelli 3" Mercury Recoil Reducer that is designed for the SBE. It fits into the synthetic stock of the SBE. Tried it, and it easily threads onto the stock bolt without any problem.

I then tried to put that same Mercury recoil reducer in my SBE SteadyGrip stock and it did not fit, #%^@#!! It appears that the recess areas of the sling mounts, which there is one on each side of the SteadyGrip stock prevent the recoil reducer from threading onto the stock bolt. I am very disappointed. Anyway, I thought I would pass this bit of knowledge onto the rest of forum members who may be considering purchasing a recoil reducer for the SBE SteadyGrip stock.

I then borrowed a C&H Recoil Reducer from my brother, because it is a smaller diameter than the Benelli Mercury Recoil Reducer. It appears that it will thread onto the stock bolt a little, 1-2 turns, that is not nearly enough to hold it in place and since it does not come close to touching the washer, so the stock is loose. That was also not a solution.

I am going to try and look around and see what other recoil reducers are available that may fit into the SBE SteadyGrip stock. Oh yeah, I emailed the original posted question to Benelli a week ago and have not heard a response. I am hoping that they may have some type of adapter for that stock. Sure would be nice, since I plan on shooting 3.5" loads this coming turkey season.

Kevin

One thing that you might want to try kevin, is putting the mercury rreducer in the mag tube instead of the stock. I did this to my gun(not the same as yours) and it actually worked alot better. you reduce recoil but also reduce about 80% of muzzle jump!! I just took out my factory plug and replaced it with the reducer. The only other thing is that I had a shorted spring to put in, you really dont need one because all the shells should go in OK. I used a 4.5 inch reducer and can still put 3 3 inch shells in with some room left over. Try this and see what you think! Good luck!!

That happened to me too,my friend gave me his practical stock and it went in just fine,I thought about modifying to make it fit,instead sold the pistol grip stock, didn"t like the drop of the comb,pistolgrip was fine bogus comb,I'm happy with the results. thankyou M1014 smile.gif

birdkilr,

Thanks for the input on the magazine mercury recoil reducer. At one time I was considering the magazine recoil reducer, but preferred the one that mounts in the stock, because I was trying to minimize the forward weight of the gun. My logic is that I will be using the gun for turkey hunting and wanted to keep the forward weight of the gun to a minimum. My concern was that it may adversely affect my ability to hold aim on an approaching bird (if I have to hold in the aiming position for an extended period of time). That is when I decided to go with the buttstock mounted recoil reducer.

Although, from your experience, it sounds like they are as effective, if not more effective, than the stock recoil reducer. What is the model and weight of the one you have? So, considering my current situation, that may be the next best option, if I can live with the additional weight in the forearm.

By the way, I called C&H Research about custom making a recoil reducer for the SBE SteadyGrip stock and the gentleman I talked to said that he could custom make a very small diamater mercury recoil reducer, but told me it would not be as effective as putting some lead shot in my SBE buttstock. He said that the problem is that since the SBE can only accept a 3" recoil reducer, if he makes the diameter any smaller, there will be hardly any mercury in it and it will not weigh enough to provide any significant recoil reduction.

I inquired about a tapered recoil reducer, since the area near the threads of the bolt-stock is the only area that really needs a smaller diameter. I gave him the measurements, and he told me that because the stock bolt is about 7mm and the diameter of the recoil reducer at the small end of the taper would be about 5/8", he did not feel that their would be enough strength in the tapered region to effectively hold that recoil reducer in place, over time.

Kevin

• 2 years later...

Has anyone thought about mounting a recoil reducer on the outside of the gun? I am picturing a device clamped onto the magazine tube hind of like a flashlight. The weight is still out there on the end of the gun, however, you do not lose any magazine capacity.

What do you guys think?

Mike