Benelli Nova Pump Recoil Reducer Effects

AdkMtnGuy

Hi All,

This is my first post to this forum as I am a new member but not new to SigForum, RugerForum, and RetrieverTraining but I have a question for ya'll.

Is anyone familiar with the effects of putting the recoil reducer in the Benelli Nova? Is it a significant change in recoil as a result of installing it? I have a petite fiancee who would like to shoot it but neither of us want her to rip her shoulder off checking out the 3 1/2 in. magnums. I recall a few times I've shot those rounds and I can vouch for the raw power. (Still rubbing my shoulder today...not not really, but it was a surprise).

I guess I'm also wondering if it's really worth the $80 or so I can get the setup for at Gander Mtn. Does anyone know a cheaper place to get them? Online? In stores? Anyone want to get rid of one (a fully functional one guys... ;) )?

Take care and be safe out there. Thank you for your time. :cool:

[ 07-03-2006, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: AdkMtnGuy ]

i sold my nova, but i kept the mercury recoil reducer and the bracket that it mounts in. i was thinking of selling it. if interested , let me know. they do help with recoil. i used mine when i was shooting trap and hunting geese with 3.5".

How much would you be willing to sell your set for? I can get a reducer for 44.99 and the bracket for the same, for comparison.

How much did it really impact the reduction of recoil?

Thank you for offering!

[ 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: AdkMtnGuy ]

I have the recoil reducer installed in my Nova Tactical, and I have not found it to be very effective in reducing felt recoil. If you are expecting a significant reduction, you are going to be disappointed. My opinion is that it isn't worth the money!

This question has been asked a number of times on this forum, and some have had different experiences than I have. Some report the recoil reduction seems more significant when shooting heavier loads, but I shoot only reduced recoil law enforcement type loads so I can't comment on that.

Seems to make 2 3/4" 1oz. slugs a little bit more bearable-

Would guessimate maybe a 10% recoil reduction, I had thought there would be more difference but you may be right, it may be more apparent with a heavier load. I`ve never tried more than a 2 3/4" shell in my Nova Tactical.

I agree with DV - a 10% reduction seems about right. The recoil reducer assembly adds about one-pound to the weight of the gun, and I suspect you can add a one-pound weight to the cavity in the stock and accomplish the same thing.

If I had to make the decision again, I'd spend the money on a better recoil pad - like the Limb Saver - and forget the recoil reducer.

I also have a limb saver pad on my gun and it takes a noticable amount of recoil out of 2 3/4" trap loads, 3" waterfowl magnums and 1 oz slugs. You can find one for around $30.

Just to throw another idea out there. I bought a shell stock holder( for about $5) and put 5 buck shot loads on it, and it almost acted like a mercury recoil reducer. It isn't bolted on the gun, but it does add weight to the stock which I noticed helped reduce recoil. If you wanted to you could but fishing weights where the shells would go or something like that to reduce recoil. A link is below to something similar to what im talking about....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=19767&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=browse

• 13 years later...

Thanks for the info on the benelli recoil reducer... I will not waste my money.... As for weight in the stock - I used 12oz of lead for the 3 shell limit in my black eagle. Honestly it didn't do much for recoil shooting 3.5 inch Kent 2oz shot shells... It however did alot for the balance of the on the lite side gun... Thanks for the idea of adding a little led to the stock if I feel there is a balancing issue... bobbymac