VERY UNHAPPY WITH BENELLI

Jd1234

I purchased my brand new in the box Benelli less than 1 year ago (just before last bird season) I havecleaned every time that it was fired. It has been stored in our bedroom along with my other firearms all of my firearms are cared for in the same manner (ex Marine you care for your weapon and it will take care of you) after not touching it for about 2 months I wentto bust some clays (bird season opens in 2 weeks) and what do I discover my barrel is COVERED IN RUST I inspect the other 7 firearms I own and what do I discover no rust on any os them just on my brand new Benelli. Check out the warrenty info and what does it say RUST IS NOT COVERED so what do I say NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER BENELLI AND IRECOMMEND THAT NO ONE ELSE BUY ONE :confused: :confused:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that the gun is (or was) the black finish?

Explain your cleaning method, including the solvents and lubricants used.

Was the gun stored in the open, in a closet, in a case, in a safe???

Somewhere in these questions lies the answer to why YOUR Benelli rusted in two months of storage while mine hasn't rusted, here in humid Virginia , after being stored since May.

Now you can take the road you've said you're going to take, and begin bad-mouthing Benellis everywhere you go.

Trust me, you won't impact sales one bit.

Or you can take the high road and get to the real reason your gun rusted while everyone else's has not.

I clean my Benelli about once a year and in that year a lot of shells get put through it between clays, ducks, dove, and sometimes a little quail hunting. I do occasionally spray a little rem oil on the surface and wipe it down. It sounds like you cleaned it with some kind of solvent and forgot to re-oil it.

Oh and by the way what firearm company covers rust?

[ 08-26-2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: BLACK JACK ]

In reply to your questions I clean every 1 of my firearms the same way and use hopps cleaning proudcts on every one of them my wife has our room set up with a hunting motif so it is displayed on the wall with my browning no rust on it both shotguns were used on the same days of shooting so exposed to the same conditions and cleaning procedures yes it is the black finish and the rust is on the outside not inside of the barrel so I would assume I got maybe the 10% that had a factory defect in the finish (ohhh ya I forgot there has never been a company in existence that has produced a so called lemon or 1 item of a product line that had a defect) and like I said all of my firearms are stored and treated the same way an in the same room(weatherby 7mm, remington 30-06, remington 22, early I believe when I researched the serial # 1935 belgium browning A-5, S&W 357,ruger .45, whinchester 30-30) So I am not a newbie with cleaning firearms the Marine Corps made sure of that 20 odd years ago.

My complaint is that Benelli will not acknowdge that it could be a problem with the finish and as to impacting the sales no I do not assume my post will bankrupt them but if I save 1 person the frustration of a rusted barrel then so be it

You're working your way up to saving someone from getting a rusted barrel, but I can tell it isn't going to be easy.

Your other firearms have a factory blued finish.

While bluing itself is not any more impervious to rust than the Benelli finish, it is slick.

The slick surfaces allow you to fully wipe dry the surfaces, removing all of the residual solvents used in the cleaning process.

The matte finish is rougher and it can retain solvents, which over time will lead to rust, especially if stored in less than favorable conditions.

Hoppes makes a number cleaning and care products, but you have yet to divulge the exact products and methods that you used.

My guess is that right about now you're figuring out that you're supposed to clean with solvent, but then perhaps re-oil the surfaces before storing.

A clean gun will rust quickly.

A clean, oiled gun will not.

Your Benelli came with a bottle of Benelli oil and a manual.

I'm thinking that you haven't bothered opening either one of them.

Now, you have a choice.

You can continue to pursue the course of claiming that you got the one and only lemon Benelli made with regards to the exterior finish; or you can fess up to the fact that you have not properly cared for the weapon, naively assuming it was just like all of your others and that it would tolerate your inept care.

I use Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner for cleaning and protecting every square inch of my SBEII.

It's two years old and there isn't a spec of rust anywhere on it.

It is stored in a dark, dry space in the interior of my home, which is climate controled for temperature and humidity.

I have never had the need to use a solvent on the exterior of a barrel and wipe all exposed metal down after cleaning with hoppes weathergaurd cloth the procdures I use to clean my firearms Tucker are the ones the USMC taught me years ago so yes I clean off my solvents and yes I lube all moveing parts aand yes I oil all metals I think you hit it on the head with your statement "dry space in the interior of my home, which is climate controled for temperature and humidity." because uo here in Montana we are so back woods that our bedrooms are actually heated by the potbelly stove in the other room of our 2 room canvas tents that we live in 1 day it is our dream to have one of those new fangled things you guys call houses but until then I guess we have to stick with our tents

Tucker is right. Calm down.

And use some punctuation.

I understand you are pissed, but this type of thing is fixable/avoidable, and you may or may not be the cause of it.

Not to undermine your experience, but I have friends in the marines who don't know anything about metal preservation, all they know is what the marines tells them, which seems to be "remove all grime, clean, and then wipe absolutely as dry as possible, or else your gun will jam/malfunction".

I think this is bullsh!t. Having dry metal parts running against each other causes all types of bad things to happen; unneccesary friction, premature wear, etc. I always keep moving parts oiled a bit, as this should be common sense, but my friends in the marines don't see it that way. I don't know what to tell you.

As far as rust on the outside of your gun goes, I give every gun I get (every metal tool for that matter, be it a knife, pliers, flashlight, etc) a rubdown and overnight soak with breakfree. I then remove the extra, but I don't rub it down until it is compltely dry like my marine friends would have me do.

I think this should be a standard operating procedure. Your weapons wellbeing/preservation is your responsibility, not the factorys.

I have seen all types of guns develop rust on them when they have been left alone, but I have never seen a single gun that has been properly treated with breakfree/various other products show a spec of rust.

As such, my advice is twofold. If you really think you got a factory defect, send it back to benelli CS for them to look it over. They can probably help you out.

If not, take some steel wool and a solvent and get the rust off. It will not be that deep, it took me 10 minutes with fine steel wool and hoppes to get 8 monthes of rust off of my friends 870 when he left it in his trunk untreated and went away to college. Get all the rust off, get the extra hoppes off as best you can, and then treat with a metal preservative. I use breakfree, you can use whatever you want.

Maybe you were the victim of a factory fault, or maybe, just maybe, you should modify your cleaning procedure to include a bit of pre emptive metal preservation.

Live and learn.

[ 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Duggan ]

Question:

The Marines use what to clean their weapons now and twenty years ago?

Answer:

CLP and only CLP!!! Cleaner, Lubricant, & Preservative or MIL-L-63460D AM 6 NSN:9150-01-054-6453.

BreakFree for you civilians.

Not Hopes!!!!

Using anything else (including Hopes) is un-authorized and can subject you to UCMJ action (AKA Article 15 or Court Martial).

OK, so that might seem a bit harsh to court martial a soldier for using un-authorized commercial products to clean his weapon, but the military uses CLP (in most climates and cases) FOR A REASON: It prevents rust!!!

So Marine, complain about Benelli if you must, but you must at least acknowledge that you didn't follow proper USMC procedures for weapons maitenance. Now drop down and knock'em out!

Now that you've sufficiently conditioned your mind and body I have a few more questions. Have you contacted customer service and given them a chance to respond??? How much rust are you talking about? Light superficial rust that you can remove with a bit of scrubbing and CLP or that deep, embeded cancerous stuff that leaves pits? Pictures would tell your story better than words.

It is very strange that there is no rust on the inside of the barrel where bare, machined metal is exposed. Tucker could be right in saying that the finish might actually hold a solvent longer and therefore lend itself to rusting much quicker.

BTW, since your fire arm is on "display" I find it odd that you didn't notice this sooner; however, I do not find it odd that they are in your bedroom. Most Marines I know do sleep with their weapns :)

Semper Fi,

Glenn

umm where in canada would a fella find this CLP?

here in novascotia where the humidity can be very high and the temps are cold then warm then cold etc. i have yet to find a product that will totally protect a stored firearm. even in my gun safe i find i'm having to wipe the firearms off and getting a rusty film on the rag. i have, and have used every product out there. not this CLP. if i can get it i want to try it . thanks.

Originally posted by harrydog:

quote:
Originally posted by GlennRoss:

It is very strange that there is no rust on the inside of the barrel where bare, machined metal is exposed.

Glenn

The inside of the barrel is chrome plated, is it not? I have a benelli bbl that has sat in my gun cabinet for 8 years untouched (I've had it in there sice 1992) and it has absoutely NO rust on it. The bbl is chrome lined on the inside. My fully rifled bbl has been put to hard use over the past 9 years and it has-guess what?-NO rust on it. I don't know if that bbl is chrome lined but I believe that it is cryogenic treated and chrome lined.

I wipe it down with Outers gun oil and store it without a worry.

[ 08-28-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: bootster ]

I don't think most people reading your rant will believe Benelli is at fault. Is the finish still intact under the rust? With years of experience with firearms I have learned finishes from some makers are more susceptible to rusting than others (EX: Ruger blued revolvers will rust more easily than a S&W blued revolver). Unless you have some proof that the finish was improperly done suck it up and be a man and admit it was your fault.