VERY UNHAPPY WITH BENELLI

Jd1234

A couple of years ago a friend and I were on a phesant hunt in South Dokata. He had his new SBE which has the matt finish. On the second day of the hunt it rained and our guns got thouroughly wet. I used WD-40 on the exterior of my gun, he just wiped off his with a dry towell. The next morning his looked like a solid mass of rust, mine had NO rust at all. Matt finished guns need more carefull cleaning than blued guns. I have seen the same results on a Rem. 870 Express.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunt with mine all day in the pouring rain; begrudgingly dry it off and use whatever suits my purpose at that time; (what's within arm's reach?) leave it laying where I can see it to dry; after a few days stick it in a gun case; stick the case in a lock box ... and forget about it until next time. NO BARREL RUST. All the stuff you're not supposed to do. I WILL say I have seen wisps of rust appear under the sights on my slug barrel; but that showed up when I was still sitting in a tree; in the rain; the first time I used it. I wasn't coming down to oil my barrel. I of course cussed those #$@&* Italians (of which I am one) and chalked it up to my not understanding one of their illogical procedures to common criteria, coupled or mated to their world class performance from complex criteria. OR ... it was my fault, but they are culpable to some degree. The bottom feeders in the legal system would “assign” degrees of guilt I think. Anyway ... since my Benelli is largely a tool, and since I admire, but don’t worship my tools ... I quickly got over it. Particularly ... when well over a dozen deer started dropping like bricks ... all falling to one shot each. While I’m at it; I should berate Benelli for the finish wear around the receiver from use, rub marks on the barrel from my Lone Wolf treestand, and little ding I put in the ventilate rib on the shotgun barrel while flying it to Texas. If the gun wasn’t such a killing machine ... and I didn’t revel in it’s wonderful looks and performance ... I’d be complaining like you too!

After shooting my Cordoba the first time, I noticed the next day some light rust at the end of the barrel. This was where I had grabbed it from the gun rack with my sweaty hands.

I don't blame anybody but myself for that one. What I did do is learn that the matte black finish does need some care. And by "care", I mean a generous amount of oil applied to the exterior a few times to saturate the porous finish.

My barrel has actually soaked up several coatings of Benelli oil. Now I can treat the gun like what most people would expect and not be worried that the exterior will rust within a day if I touch it.

Well I am on the side of JD1234. I have three Kimber of Oregon rifles that rusted to. None of the other guns stored in my gun room show any signs of rust at all. Just the Kimbers. Of course I have no recourse because Kimber of Oregon went under years ago; none the less, it's a hard pill to swallow when your guns rust for no apparent reason. And lest I fall into a flaming constest, I have been a dealer and smith for 30 years so don't even tell me I don't know how to store a gun. I have refininshed more guns then you can count.

Originally posted by dlebeck:

I have been a dealer and smith for 30 years so don't even tell me I don't know how to store a gun. I have refininshed more guns then you can count.

Given the success I've had with many dealers and smiths, I am unimpressed with this boast.

I'll side with all the above posts from folks that know how to care for the particular firearm they purchased.

The black finish on Benellis, Brownings (Stalker), etc. all need some protective maintenance. My Stalker stocks turn gold w/o Breakfree CLP :eek:

What the heck does the infamous crap-making KoO have to do with the discussion of keeping the budget Benelli black finish from rusting?

I hope you read your smith manuals a little better than you do websites :D

mudhen - CA

Hey everyone

I brought a brand new Nova Pump last year at this same time. I oiled her down and lub her up before I used her, I used it 2 days, at the end of each day I would take it out of it's case clean if off and lay it on the rack for the next day. On the second day that I used it I brough it home and took it out of the case which it was only in for a hour or so and there was rust on the outside barrell. I try cleaning it off but nothing works, it is about the size of a Dime or Penny. I was very upset but what am I sppsoe to do, its a benelli it shouldn't have done that

Hey

when I put my gun in storage when hunting season was over in february of 2006 I cleaned it wiped it down and olied her up, and layed it in the corner of my bed room, were I was nice cool and dry. When I took it to get her ready for the up coming duck season there was a large amounts of rust were the rib is connected to the top of the barrell. I find this strange because I have a few scratches on the barrell as well and they never rusted at all, still the same as when I put her there. so how come the barrell is rusting in the one spot, it is like there is some kind of cheep steel in the rib were it is connected to the barrell. I would like some advice on what to do, because it is a serious issue that I have never seen, just for it to happen in the one spot

PS. I never use a gun case anymore with that Benelli....it is the only gun I got that will rust in a few hours...is there anything I can use to get that rust off, it has pitted my barrell as well.

Will all of the whiners please cut the pithy crap and grow up. Summary of what I read:

-A Marine is crying like a baby because he can't figure out how to clean rust off of an unprotected surface?? Yeah, it's unprotected or it wouldn't rust, period. So clean it and protect it.

-Anyone else wishing to throw in their "whoah is me" plight, please contact Oprah and I'm sure she'll be willing to hear about it.

Thank you for those who are asking and answering legitimate questions on the subject. Occasionally I like to see what other people do to SOLVE their problems because I don't know everything!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by sdkidaho:

:rolleyes:

How would they give those answers about how they handle whatever if someone didn't have a concern/complaint in the first place?

That was kinda my point, but there hasn't been much asking, sounds more like whimpering. Questions and answers solve problems, temper tantrums don't.

Hey guys,I live in southeast Alaska and Ive had my M1 supa 90 and my M4 in a corner of a room that has both windows open. It rains here all the time so theres plenty of moisture around. I lightly oil my barrel and wipe it dry after every shooting session. You know Ive never seen any RUST! Wow are these like anti rust barrels or something? Thank you Benelli. ;)

Originally posted by SigsRus:

Alaska, I'm jealous. I'd kill to take a tour of that place on 2 wheels (BMW of course, but I'd have to trade my RT for a GS).

it would be cool to visit Alaska,can't think of a better place too shoot,,,R/Ts and GSs are a rare language,,,,like 440 sixpak & Boss429 ;)

• 1 year later...

I too have a brand new black finish SBEII & every time I wipe it down, I get rust on my rag. I use Rem Oil, keep my guns very clean & have no similar problems w/ any of my other guns. While rust is not covered, if there is indeed a bluing problem, that should be covered. I'd send it back. If they refuse coverage/to fix it, file complaints with the BBB and anyone else who will listen. Consider filing complaints against your retailer or use of small claims court - but I suspect they will re-blue your gun. One problem here is - who wants to buy a damn brand new gun only to have to get it re-blued. I plan to wait until the end of duck season to send mine in.

I've also had some cycling problems, but have seen some improvement with the damn "break in" period & use of premium $1/shell ammo. They should really imform people of the fact there is a long (~300 shot) breakin period & to initially expect some jams. Overall, I too am highly disappointed in my first Benelli - in what has to be the most expensive field semi on the market. I think part of it is the unreal expectations people have, the Benelli motto of Simply Perfect, the stories people tell you, the cost, etc.

I purchased my brand new in the box Benelli less than 1 year ago (just before last bird season) I havecleaned every time that it was fired. It has been stored in our bedroom along with my other firearms all of my firearms are cared for in the same manner (ex Marine you care for your weapon and it will take care of you) after not touching it for about 2 months I wentto bust some clays (bird season opens in 2 weeks) and what do I discover my barrel is COVERED IN RUST I inspect the other 7 firearms I own and what do I discover no rust on any os them just on my brand new Benelli. Check out the warrenty info and what does it say RUST IS NOT COVERED so what do I say NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER BENELLI AND IRECOMMEND THAT NO ONE ELSE BUY ONE :confused: :confused: