SBE2, SS hmmmm??

cutler686

i understand this type of question is asked often but i am really in a jam

I am seeking a new shotgun and am a little overwhelmed.

I own an old Mossberg pump and an even older side by side double barrel and need to step it up.

I am looking at a Benelli SBE2 or a SS Anyone have any other advice or recommendations. I just shot the legacy last night and liked it but i don't think i could bring it into the woods, its to pretty

I am using it 50% trap shooting and 50% hunting (Pheasant, duck....). I am looking for something nice.

i know i know i should just buy two shotguns but i just dont have that much $$$ to spend.

any recomendations benelli or otherwise?

Thanks much for any help at all,

[ 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: cutler686 ]

Originally posted by cutler686:

i understand this type of question is asked often but i am really in a jam

I am seeking a new shotgun and am a little overwhelmed.

I own an old Mossberg pump and an even older side by side double barrel and need to step it up.

I am looking at a Benelli SBE2 or a SS Anyone have any other advice or recommendations. I just shot the legacy last night and liked it but i don't think i could bring it into the woods, its to pretty

I am using it 50% trap shooting and 50% hunting (Pheasant, duck....). I am looking for something nice.

i know i know i should just buy two shotguns but i just dont have that much $$$ to spend.

any recomendations benelli or otherwise?

Thanks much for any help at all,

:D SBE II is a good weapon for those ducks, thats what I use.

I use my SBE II for trap shooting, and it works quite well. The rib is tapered somewhat, and thus it tends to pattern a little high. I even adjusted the drop so I am looking diredtly down the rib (flat...so the center bead completely blocks the front bead), and it still patterns a little high. The only drawbacks for trap are that you might hit the guy next to you when the spent shell is ejected, and once in a while the sound of the action closing will cause the voice activated trap to launch a rogue bird. You might also have trouble with the gun not cycling with a very light load. Mine works well with the recommended 3 - 1 1/8 loads, but it won't cycle completely with a 2 3/4 -1 1/8 load.

I think the SBE II is a good all around shotgun, but of course, it is not a dedicated trap gun. It will work fine for "casual" trap shooting, but if you are a serious trap shooter, then there are better choices.

Good luck

[ 09-22-2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: MG Dave ]

cutler,

Benelli plainly states that their Inertia guns are not designed for light loads. That said, hundreds of them cycle light trap loads all day without a hitch.

If you like those odds, then it's simply a question of whether or not you want a 3.5" gun (SBEII) or a 3" (M2 or Cordoba).

However, I wouldn't discount alternatives such as this one without laying my hands on one.

[ 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Tucker301

I know, I know they are not for light loads.

On the other hand, I know that if I buy the

Cordoba I will regret not getting a 3.5in and if I get

the sbe2 and it doesn’t cycle when shooting trap I will be upset(to say the least).

You seem to be recommending the 3in but when

reading through some of your previous posts I found that you use your sbe2 for trap

"My new SBEII has taken some getting used to over my old 870 pumper, but I'm swatting the ducks, geese, and clays pretty well now.

By far, the most important thing is to have the weapon fit you well and to be comfortable with it."

commando

have you ever used your SBE for trapshooting?

:D OH YES I HAVE AND ITS GREAT, I CAN SWING THAT WEAPON ALL DAY LONG AND SHOOT 5 ROUNDS IN ONE DAY WITH NO PROBLEMS. MY BUD WAS SHOOTING A BERETTA 390 AND THE NEXT DAY HE SAID HE WAS SORE. I FELT NOTHING THE NEXT DAY.

Originally posted by MG Dave:

I use my SBE II for trap shooting, and it works quite well. The rib is tapered somewhat, and thus it tends to pattern a little high. I even adjusted the drop so I am looking diredtly down the rib (flat...so the center bead completely blocks the front bead), and it still patterns a little high. The only drawbacks for trap are that you might hit the guy next to you when the spent shell is ejected, and once in a while the sound of the action closing will cause the voice activated trap to launch a rogue bird. You might also have trouble with the gun not cycling with a very light load. Mine works well with the recommended 3 - 1 1/8 loads, but it won't cycle completely with a 2 3/4 -1 1/8 load.

I think the SBE II is a good all around shotgun, but of course, it is not a dedicated trap gun. It will work fine for "casual" trap shooting, but if you are a serious trap shooter, then there are better choices.

Good luck

:cool: The weapon cycles fine with 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz with 3 dram with not problems. I dont shoot the 3 inch with trap at all. But your right its not a dedicated trap gun but if your not in competition then it does not matter.

Just to clarify....when using 2 3/4 inch shells:

My SBE II does not cycle with 2 3/4 dram eq. 1 1/8 oz.loads.

It will cycle with 3 dram eq. 1 1/8 oz. loads.

I have never shot a 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch shell in my sbe II.

[ 09-23-2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: MG Dave ]

Tucker301

I know, I know they are not for light loads.

On the other hand, I know that if I buy the

Cordoba I will regret not getting a 3.5in and if I get

the sbe2 and it doesn’t cycle when shooting trap I will be upset(to say the least).

You seem to be recommending the 3in but when

reading through some of your previous posts I found that you use your sbe2 for trap

"My new SBEII has taken some getting used to over my old 870 pumper, but I'm swatting the ducks, geese, and clays pretty well now.

By far, the most important thing is to have the weapon fit you well and to be comfortable with it."

I bought my SBEII for hunting. I shoot clays rarely, and I don't shoot light loads at all.

The Cordoba uses the same Inertia system as the SBEII, and therefore has the same minimum load recommendations.