Why don't they do more gas operated?

sdkidaho

I guess they figure most hunters will not be adding eotechs, mounts, shell carriers, forward rails, flashlights, vertical grips, etc.

If you do not have all this extra weight tacked onto your gun, you do not "need" the argo system, the standard recoil system works fine.

I guess they figure it would just raise the price without really offering anything additional to most people.

But I agree, I would be in that 10% of people that are hugely interested in a full lineup of gas operated shotguns.

Guest GunCrazyD

because Benelli is intertia driven...and that is the way they will stay....it's better than gas..faster cycling and cleaner..why make gas guns when you have a better system already? do you know anything about these guns? sheesh....

[ 07-31-2006, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: GunCrazyD ]

skidaho,

Seems to me that you've asked a very valid question, considering the M4 is built for performance and reliability under fire, yet it uses the gas system, rather than the Inertia system.

If the system is good enough for the Marines, then it should be good enough for a duck blind.

As you know, Benelli makes gas operated, pump action, and Inertia driven guns; and I believe the only one here whose knowledge of Benellis would fall into question would be the fellow with "crazy" in his name.

Quoting Benelli's webpage:

Benelli engineers developed and patented a unique auto-regulating gas-operated (ARGO) system. Dual stainless steel, self-cleaning pistons located just ahead of the chamber operate directly against the proven rotating bolt head. It’s a simple and dependable system that eliminates the complex linkage, springs and heavy parts that other semi-automatic shotguns have to depend on. The result: Marine-tough reliability under the harshest environmental conditions.

I'd only be guessing, but I suspect that the gas system is used to meet military specs.

I could also see it being advangtageous in situations where the weapon may have to be fired in unconventional situations whereby an improperly mounted Inertia gun may be more subject to failure.

Excellent question!

I'm sure there would be some demand for a gas- op sporting Benelli.

BUT, where would the demand come from?

Some Beretta gas customers I think. Also some Benelli inertia customers I think. I doubt Beretta Holding is looking to thin the already thin market any further.

Given that Browning can't give away a gas gun (and is actually coming out with a new inertia gun soon), I can't see the gas gun market expanding much.

A Benelli gas gun will likely run $1500+, so how many 11-87 customers will it lure?

It might work, but I'm not sure BH will go that way any time soon...

mudhen - CA

• 2 weeks later...

Why mess with a good thing. I now own two Montefeltro's (one for me and one for my wife) because I got tired of cleaning the mess from the gas guns that I owned. My gas guns also jammed rather frequently even though I cleaned them all the time. I used to take the forearm off my Gold and have to clean that nasty soot off the magazine and gas ports. No more of that for me. Inertia all the way in this house from now on.