BUCKSHOT

Butch-M

I have a few buckshot questions. I've been asked to participate in a research situation where it MAY be called for under certain narrow circumstances.

Is the copper coating on some buckshot heavy enough to prevent lead fouling in a rifled barrel?

What do you think the results of launching buckshot out of a rifled barrel would be?

Is one brand or load better than another?

I'm trying to determine if I could carry some buckshot shells in my pocket while working with my rifled barrel w/optics ... and just switch shells in a hurry out in the field. OR ... predetermine the need for buckshot and switch to my smoothbore barrel (or another shotgun.) If it seems like a possible option ... I'll buy a bunch and pattern it through the rifled barrel; otherwise I'll bag the idea.

I make no claims to be an engineer or a gunsmith, but I have been hunting and shooting for a long time. I don't see where shooting buckshot threw a rifled barrel would hurt it. I would think that the FPS would be about the same as shooting it out of a smoothbore of the same length. As far as what kind of pattern it will throw your guess is as good as mine.

Good luck!!

Yeah, I read a guy's post once when we were writing about the ills of buckshot ... LOL The guy said it spreads dreadfully out of a rifled barrel too. Scary awful. He sounded credible, like he knew what he was talking about.

As far as fouling goes, non-sabot slugs lead foul rifle barrels as the lands scrape the soft lead slug screaming by ... I was wondering if a "shot cup" around buckshot OR copper plated pellets would prevent that.

I'm 99% resigned to buckshot not working with a rifled barrel, but thought I'd ask anyway ... since I have no experience with the stuff and before I waste time testing and patterning it out of a barrel that simply isn't going to work.

Well, I bought 3 boxes of 3-1/2" 00 buckshot ... and some foster slugs that will work in my smoothbore barrel ... then found out the "buckshot" factor has been eliminated from the project. Now I have shells with 18 ... 33 caliber lead balls. Seems like a lot of holes to put in one deer. LOL Talk about spray & pray ... empty the gun and that's 54 projectiles filling the air.

Oh well, it will probably sit in the ammo can ... alongside the other box of buckshot that has been in there for about 30 years.

Yeah, I agree that slug guns are a pain. You're stuck with an inherently inaccurate platform and you agonize trying to get accuracy out of it. I wonder what the "statistics" show about hunting accidents in rifle zones vs hunting accidents in shotgun only states or zones. I'm guessing there's absolutely no safety advantage statistically by imposing shotguns on deer hunters. I'd further guess that almost all hunting accidents happen up close, not errant bullets hitting somebody a half mile away. I suspect the whole shotgun thing is far more of a public perception of safety, rather than the real thing. BUT ... "it is what it is" and we have to work with it. LOL

Perhaps the ammunition manufacturers will someday solve the problem with further improvements in slugs.

BUTCH-M it appears you've gotten the answers you were looking for, and I'd agree. I shoot shotguns often and all I ever shoot is 00,000, buck or slugs. When I read your first post I pictured 8 33 caliber pellets just hiting north,south,east,and west of the inside of that rifled barreled. Which of course doesn't sound like something one would want to do for several reasons. As I went further down the thread I read you have 3 1/2" shells in buckshot!! Holy smoke is that a load! I'd also have to agree with you about hunting accidents happening in close quarters as opposed to 1/2 mile away. I'm definitely interested in what your 3 1/2" shells do to what ever you shoot them if you ever do. Just shoot it at some cardboard or something. Watch how fast you can incinerate whatever lays in the path of that DOA round. (Out of your smoothbore of course.) Have fun, and prepare to watch something get ripped to shreads.

Looks like a pretty decent rack. Congrats. Plenty of meat on that bad boy. Is that an entry wound around the right shoulder? Its hard to tell on my monitor. If so nice shot. I've only hunted a few times when i was a kid. I didn't really enjoy the 4 a.m. wake up and freezing temps at the age of 11. I do know your grateful for that tractor and sled. If you read this post how far away were you when you hit it? One shot? Did it take him right out or did you have to track him? I know about zero when it comes to hunting animals. Enjoy those venison (sp,?) steaks. Tasty stuff.

FN_FAL,

Thank you it is my best buck to date. I have over 30 years invested in this one. Yes he was hit behind the front sholder ijumed him in a thick swamp and followed his tracks for over 2 1/2 hours. I jumped him three more times after that i was able to get 3 shots at him on the last time i jumped him hit him twice he only went 20 yards after that. As far as the tractor goes it was a real life saver seeing it would have been a 1 1/2 mile drag over plowed ground not a good thing.

Butch-M

The gun is a Browning Gold in 20ga,fully rifled barrel with a leupold 2-7 power shotgun scope. I was shooting Winchester partition gold sabot slugs 2 3/4 inch with a 260gr. nozler bullet traveling at 1900fps. The stalk took place in mid morning the first time i jumped him i never saw him i just heard his rack hitting the tag alders he was in. I saw what he was the third time i jumped him but had no shot the forth time i jumped him he was behind a large blowdown, had he ran the way he started to i would not have had a shot. But for some reason he turned and broke into the open woods my shots were at about 50 to 70 yards running he was quartered away just right. I always keep my scope set to 2 power just in case this type of shot is all i can get. More good luck than anything else but i'll take that any day of the week.

Thanks ... 90% of the deer I've taken have been out of stands. I've only shot one "really" running deer; having always had the opportunity to wait for that split second stop they always seem to make. I took the runner at 108 yards; amazingly had to lead him about 4 feet or so. Felt weird having the crosshairs on the ground with the deer just in the picture to the right in the scope! As I said above in the "buckshot" post, I may be having to take runners this week with slugs out of my Benelli. Looking for anything that might get me thinking the right game. LOL

My buddy is thinking of getting an H&R single shot slug gun ... and I'm considering a slug barrel for my T/C Encore muzzleloader ... how do you like those 20ga slugs. Do you find them any more accurate than the 12's? The smaller sabot & projectile would "seem" to lend itself to less rattling around than the 12ga in that 3/4" barrel.

The TC Encore would make a good slug gun i have the 209/50 also. I like the 20ga because of the low recoil and is very accurate for a slug gun. I know some guys with 12ga of various makes and they seem to shoot just as well as my 20 personal choice i would guess. I like the autoloader because of the follow up shots at moving deer in the heavy cover we have in this area. A singleshot makes a good stand gun and is alot cheaper than mine.