Barrel cleaning

DeadlyBenelli

I'm sorry if this has been coverd before. I did a search but nothing came up.

I am familiar with barrel cleaning for rifles but when it comes to shotguns I'm not real sure.

I just aquired an SBE and love the gun. I'm hitting everything I shoot at...well okay, I do miss on occasion but my percentages are way up.

Now that I have shot if a few times I'm curious as to cleaning the barrel. I have a 12ga. brush and swab. I did my best at cleaning it tonight but after a couple passes with the swab it was pretty dirty on the front end. Do I just keep using it until it's dirty all the way and then throw it out? It seams that after a couple cleanings it would be useless, unlesh you can throw them in the washer and clean them?

Any tips out there?

Oh, by the way I found the break down of the firing pin and inertia system quite simple.

Personally, I never use swabs.

I use a bore snake for general cleaning after each outing.

For thorough cleaning, I use a quality solvent and bore brush.

I then use common paper table napkins, compacted to fit the bore tightly and pushed through with a shotgun rod.

Cheap and disposable.

I've tried 'em all, but, a friend turned me on to these products. ABSOLUTELY the BEST!

http://www.kgcoatings.com/firearms_home.html

Use KG-1 on a 3" patch wrapped around a 20ga brush and swab your 12ga bore clean in seconds. If it's really dirty after an extended period of shooting, use KG-1 then KG-2 then KG-1 followed by some gun oil.

I try to avoid the wire brush touching the bore. Do Not pull brush back through the muzzle.

The bore of your Benelli will look new for years to come.

Here is what I do.

The first thing I do is remove the choke and clean it up around the threads and aply some light oil to them. It is amazing how much crud gets between the chokes and the barrel.

I then reinsert the choke and use a bore snake though the whole thing. Useally 1 swipe does it but some times 2 or 3 are needed.

All done now nice and clean bore.

I used to use the rod with a brush and swabs as well, but a couple of folks at the range reccomended the bore snake as a better way. I have never looked back at the rods and brushes.

Mike :D

Personally, I would never put a metal rod through the bore of any firearm, especially, a sectional rod. For pistol and rifle you'll never go wrong with a Dewey 1 piece nylon coated rod http://www.deweyrods.com/

For a shotgun, I use either a Dewey or a wooden Paker-Hale type rod.

Likewise. I first remove the choke tube, get it nice and clean with Trulock Chokeshine, reinsert, then clean the bore.

[ 01-03-2006, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: roadrider18 ]