Scratched Carbon Fiber Finish

Fenwick223

Now I'm not one that has to have their firearms in pristine condition however the "carbon fiber" finish on my brand new Benelli Supersport didn't make it one day without a small scratch appearing on the forearm. The so-called carbon fiber finish seems to be just painted on. I would like to stop the finish from pealing but it looks like it will just scrape off with light fingernail pressure. Is there any way to repair/stop this from getting worse? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It is indeed a film finish, similar to the camo finishes, and not real carbon fiber.

I think Benelli could or should do a better job of disclosing that information up front, as you're not the first disillusioned buyer.

As I see it, you have two options.

1. Contact CS and complain about the delicate nature of the finish. Be respectful, but firm. Hopefully, they'll do something for you.

2. Try to touch it up using markers.

I suppose you could spray on some sort of clearcoat protective finish to try and give it more durability.

Thanks for your prompt reponse. Like I said, I'm not obsessed with having it perfect, but I am concerned about what it will look like in a couple of years. I mean, is everyting that touches it e.g., wooden racks at the range, going to cause a chip or scratch? That kinda sucks. Calling the faux carbon fiber finish "delicate" is putting it mildly. I've already sent an email to customer service. Any other suggestions from forum members would be appreciated.

I called Benelli Customer Service this morning. I spoke to an extremely helpful representative and explained the situation. They actually offered to exchange the Supersport for another however I explained to them that the only problem I had was with the forearm finish. I said if they would send me a new one, I would return the defective one for their QA people to look at. Not a problem; they would send one out today via UPS. My initial disappointment has been greatly reduced by their responsive customer service. I believe they handled the situation very well.

good job man.

I usually do pretty extensive mods on my weapons and this may make others blanch but I think a thin coat of clear epoxy (carefully and properly applied) would provide a strong protective coat. something to think about. regards -d

I do not think epoxy would be in an spray can do to the binary nature of the product. However you could probably find a good marine varnish or sealent or perhapse a heavy duty art fixatant that would be packaged that way. As always test a inconspicuas spot or better a piece of simmilar (but expendable) material.

Good suggestions. I really appreciate it.

More importantly, this afternoon (a bright, beautiful sunny day with light winds and all the fall colors) I took my new toy out to the PG County Trap and Skeet Range in Maryland. I shot 3 rounds of trap and 2 rounds of skeet. I am very happy. The recoil is definitely less than my Beretta O/U. It is also "different" than an 391; a lot smoother and I don't feel/hear the cycling of the action. And, needless to say, after shooting 125 rounds the Benelli is still spotless!