may be off topic but i need help

chris v

im in the market for a 1911 in 22lr. i fell like doing a little home extermination and dont fell like using my 12 gauge or .410 with the price of shot. since 22lr is super cheap and fun im looking for a good 1911 that will last and is in the middle with price. i have never owned a 1911 befor but i own a glock a 357 and a 38 super in handguns. please tell me a good gun and your point of view thanks.

I'm not a pistol guy, but have been meaning to buy a 1911 @ .45 for about 20 years. One thing I found out last time I was entertaining the thought again is ... they all FEEL ... VERY different. I was very surprised when the guy in the gun shop was letting me handle them. They're all based on the Colt, all look like the Colt, but one felt great and another uncomfortable. The point being ... try some on for size before you do too much research and preconceived choosing. It may turn out the brand/model you like on paper doesn't fit in real life. If I recall correctly, the above mentioned Kimbers felt pretty good to me.

You need to stop waiting and start buying The 1911 style pistol is easy to handle and FUN to shoot :D the only reason that one would need a conversion kit is if he didn't have an endless supply of money, to make a shooting trip fun it is always nice to have about 500 rds. of ammo per trip. :cool: You may be thinking to your self that the 45 is heavy on recoil but conpaired to my KP95 from Ruger and my bros. smith in 9mm I would say that the 45 is more pleasant to shoot. The recoil seems to come straight back where as the 9mm has more of a muzzle flip

Ol'Roy is right up and down in his post. I have a plethora(would you say I had a "plethora" of gifts Peppy?) of handguns and the .357 sig really comes to mind as a round that isn't all that large but much harder to learn to shoot then the much larger .45ACP out of a 1911. Several factors make this a reality but I'm all ready way off topic. If your going to get a 1911 (my favorite pistol platform by far, and personally own 3 by 3 diff. companies) Heres a quick low down on 1911's I happen to own. Kimbers are nice 1911's and there price reflects it. I believe there entry models are near a grand,(depends where you live, NIB, etc.) but you get what you pay for. Very nice firearms. Also you can get a conversion kit to shoot .22lr. Secondly there is Springfield which has a much wider price range then Kimber for 1911's. Springfields are generally good reliable guns (you get MORE then you pay for sometimes I feel) and you of course can get a .22lr kit for it as well. Lastly and my personal favorite is my Colt. I find people either love 'em or don't care for them. Colt's been making 1911's since the military gave them a contract in 1912 that lasted till 1986. They are familar with the 1911. My Colt is a MKIV/series 70 thats older than me. Its been all around the world and was given to me as a gift. Its been well maintained has a Bar-Sto barell, extended mag well, trigger job,etc. etc. and its stainless. A-lot of 1911 officionado's are shocked to see its stainless as Colt didn't offer this model in stainless when it came out. I'm quick to point out it didn't have a Bar-Sto barell with compensator when it came out either. People are always trying to buy it, but no dice. Well now that I've written the sequel toThe Art of War... (once you get me going on my toys..) SOOOO if you buy a 1911 those are 3 brands I respect. (there are some more) Of course you want a 1911 that feels like its an extension of your hand. Shooting a 1911 will make you a better shot then you think you are. Trust me. If your looking for a conversion kit theres a company called Ciener that makes 22lr kits for everything from a Browning Hi- Power to an M-16. They cost about 200-300 bucks. We have one for our M-16 and it works well. Anyone who has a .22lr conversion kit and is having cycling trouble should use a higher velocity round. I find CCI stingers work well on full auto in a machince gun. (Always make sure your kit can handle the high velocity rounds.) Downside is the gas port clogs up quick. Get the 1911 and you'll have the ability to have 2 guns in one. As usual tucker's suggestions for straight up .22lr target pistols are dead on. I'd add the Ruger MK II as another option thats in the same class. We sell more Buckmarks and MK II's then any other .22 pistol by far. If I were you I'd get a 1911. Who knows? If your only after rodents maybe a 10/22 Ruger rifle with integral silencer? I can attest they are whisper quiet and pretty accurate. I'll shoot it with neighbors 50 feet away and there clueless. The suppressor and barrel is one. They make a MK II like that as well thats super quiet. However the BATF&E deem these items Class III so you wait forever and pay the Feds a 200 tax. Yeah stick with the 1911.

Originally posted by chris v:

so iv given up the 1911 22lr and looking at the rugers. can anyone tell me the best part of them?

The ruger mkII is a very nice pistol so nice that I have 2 of them :D I have not shot any other brand of semi automatic 22 Cal pistol except yhe ruger . If you do get one you will not be dissapointed

chris v: If your going to buy a standard .22 cal. Automatic, the Mark II or new Mark III Rugers are hard to beat. The Mark III Hunter is a very nice pistol. You mentioned you had a Glock. Did you know you can get conversion kits for .22 cal. for them? Go to www.accuratearms.com; they make them for several Glock models. Other companies make them also, but I've heard these are very good.

I listed the MK II as one of the 22lr pistols I'd recommend, in addition to the Buckmark. Both good choices. However all of us familar with the MK II haven't let chris v in on how DIFFICULT it is to fully break down and reassemble. I swear when I first tried to reassemble the MK II for the first time I almost was ready to give it away. Its almost like you need 3 hands. Of course its like riding a bike, once I got the hang of it years ago, I can do it w/o incident nowadays. The manuel does give instructions but its like telling someone how to drive a stick shift. As I mentioned above Ciener makes 22lr kits for just about every type of gun, including Glock. I recommend the Ciener kit becuse I've seen it work on multiple platforms. What really amazed me was it worked in an M-16 on full auto. We were all suprised, it wasn't flawless but we've put thousands of rounds through it. 22lr is cheap ammo (generally) and it dirties up your firearm quicker then any other type of ammo. But you save money. Make sure to always clean your 22lr pistols or you'll have plenty o jams.

Originally posted by coltchris:

chris v: If your going to buy a standard .22 cal. Automatic, the Mark II or new Mark III Rugers are hard to beat. The Mark III Hunter is a very nice pistol. You mentioned you had a Glock. Did you know you can get conversion kits for .22 cal. for them? Go to www.accuratearms.com; they make them for several Glock models. Other companies make them also, but I've heard these are very good.

iv tried it on a glock all the models but they all dont seem to fit and perform well. they ar least accurate and the top end is usally always different.

Everytime I've seen someone shoot the shorts in semi-autos they failed to cycle the action far to often. Especially the little Beretta's. I'm not busting anyone's chops just sharing info. I'd go with tuckers advice on the Savage models. Several reasons, he's already pointed out 2, a third is you won't have a problem with a failure to cycle. If I was going to shoot .22 shorts I'd use a bolt action or a revolver. I bought my nephew a nice S&W revolver that shoots 22lr and the shorts. It has a 10 round capacity so you have plenty of shots. Its model 617 I believe, and comes in a 4 or 6 inch barrel. They're not cheap but S&W makes the best revolvers IMO. Esp the model 686, one of my favorite most reliable stand by's. As far as there semi auto handguns thats a diff. story. Buyer Beware!

Chris,

It is my humble opinion that if you want a 22cal buy just that i have an older colt huntsman the ruger would be similar to that. If it a 1911 your looking for i would say get it in 45 ACP you can buy ammo cheap and there a lot of fun to shoot. I have a springfield fully loaded 1911 it is by far my favorite hand gun. there is just somthing about the 45 auto that i like and i assume many others like about them. I think the 22 convertions are a bit on the heavy side try them out and see for yourself to be certain.

• 5 years later...

I am new here, and looking for a possible buy for a Benelli .22 target pistol, and noted the comments on the Kimber .45 and the conversion kit. I have the Kimber .45 and the .22 conversion kit, and the .22 is very accurate. It also loves the CCI High Veloscity cartridge. I believe Kimber also recommends CCI HV's.

Good luck.