12g or 20g?

Brickner

12g or 20g?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. 12g or 20g?

I am looking to buy my first shotgun (pump). Target, home defence is the purpose here. I have been given a lot of opinions on a lot of different guns...Mossberg, Remmington, Ithaca. Today I was told to buy a Benelli. Several people at the counter confirmed that the Benelli was a great gun. I have read some reviews and I tend to agree....HOWEVER, My question is should I buy a 12g or a 20g? My wife wants to be able to handle the gun if she has to. I'm concerned that the 12g would be too powerfull...buy a 20g and work up to a 12g?

What are the thoughts out there?

Thank you...............

i prefer a 20ga for clay shooting and sporting but i have a 12ga mossburg pump next to the bed :D it depends on what you realy want to do with the weapon. i cant count how many times ive heard the queston "what is the best all around gun to buy somthing for home defence and sporting?", here in lies the quandry.... they are two totaly differnt types of uses realy requireing different types of weapons. a great all around gun is the mossburg model 500 or the remington 870 both weapons are proven on the battle field and on the sporting range. the are both quite simple in opperaton and easy to convert from one use to another as a matter of fact mossburg used to sell a kit that consisted of an 18.5 bbl, pistol grip-for home defense and a 26"bbl with a full composite stock for sporting use. a larger full size weapon is very hard to use in the confines of a home, a good test is to take a broom, put the bristles under your arm and point the handle out in front of you, turn out the lights and try to walk around the house in bare feet..... after your done knocking over all of the wifes nic naks try it with a yard stick. a larger weapon is also easy to have grabbed and taken off of you or deverted from its aim. another thing to keep in mind... nothing strikes fear into the heart of a man like the sound of a pump shot gun racking a round to battery :D

Originally posted by fezman:

i prefer a 20ga for clay shooting and sporting but i have a 12ga mossburg pump next to the bed :D it depends on what you realy want to do with the weapon. i cant count how many times ive heard the queston "what is the best all around gun to buy somthing for home defence and sporting?", here in lies the quandry.... they are two totaly differnt types of uses realy requireing different types of weapons. a great all around gun is the mossburg model 500 or the remington 870 both weapons are proven on the battle field and on the sporting range. the are both quite simple in opperaton and easy to convert from one use to another as a matter of fact mossburg used to sell a kit that consisted of an 18.5 bbl, pistol grip-for home defense and a 26"bbl with a full composite stock for sporting use. a larger full size weapon is very hard to use in the confines of a home, a good test is to take a broom, put the bristles under your arm and point the handle out in front of you, turn out the lights and try to walk around the house in bare feet..... after your done knocking over all of the wifes nic naks try it with a yard stick. a larger weapon is also easy to have grabbed and taken off of you or deverted from its aim. another thing to keep in mind... nothing strikes fear into the heart of a man like the sound of a pump shot gun racking a round to battery :D