Alumminum Reciever???

BenelliBoy

In my experience, my Centro is far less prone to scratch than my Mossberg 590, Winchester 1300 and Valmet M1950. The fact that its receiver is made of aluminium and not steel doesn't really tell you anything about how hard it is or how easily its surface dings/scratches. There are several hundreds of aluminium alloys used in this industry, many of which are much harder than tool steel.

Then again, it's your choice. I just don't want to see anyone making decisions based on false assumptions.

Here is my take.

Benelli has used aluminum alloy receivers for at least 20 years, so it must be working.

I have a 15 y.o. SBE that has been on maybe 750 ducks hunts, the receiver looks as good as new. So, as to my 15 y.o. SBE, you are incorrect.

Reasons why aluminum alloy is better than steel:

Steel rusts, aluminum alloy does not.

Steel needs to be reblued, aluminum alloy does not.

Steel weights more than aluminum alloy.

The aluminum alloy used by Benelli is stronger than steel.

I could prolly keep writing all day.

Buy the 11-87, it's a great gun, no problems with jamming, ever.......

mudhen - CA

M1014 and EFLOYD why are all of the sudden you giving me a hard time.Ever hear of a simple thing called reseach???!!! Oh M1014 yeah i am supposed to respect my elders but i am NOT ever going to respect you nor your little buddy their (EFLOYD) Which think they can try to bully people around and make fun of them just so they can look cool.

Later... as for EFLOYD and M1014 MUCH LATER

BenelliBoy

The problem with aluminum is not cosmetic wear. The problem is that aluminum, being a much stiffer metal, will fatigue many times more quickly than a steel receiver due to the structure of the metal on a molecular level. What this actually means is that in 150 years a well kept steel reciever will still probably be in safe working order. Whereas under similar use and maintainence an aluminum reciever might not. New alloys however are making the life of aluminum longer but, IMHO good steel is still the best thing out there if you want something that will last forever

Originally posted by FeatherCloud:

The problem with aluminum is not cosmetic wear. The problem is that aluminum, being a much stiffer metal, will fatigue many times more quickly than a steel receiver due to the structure of the metal on a molecular level. What this actually means is that in 150 years a well kept steel reciever will still probably be in safe working order. Whereas under similar use and maintainence an aluminum reciever might not. New alloys however are making the life of aluminum longer but, IMHO good steel is still the best thing out there if you want something that will last forever

You make a very good point on the fatigue life of steel vs. aluminum. However, I personally prefer the aluminum on my SBEII due to the lighter weight and the fact that it won't rust.

Sorry to offend you, but like I said, you only now ask about aluminum receivers??? You've been on the boards awhile, which leads me to equate your question to "I'm 40 years old, can someone tell me what this appendage is for?" I would be more than happy to assist your 'research', but I have two autos, both with aluminum receivers, one pump with aluminum, do doubles count as having a receiver?? Relax, enjoy the day, don't be afraid to ask a question, but do be prepared to accept the banter, it's all in fun.....oh, and I won't respect you either. hehe, good day!