Not a Benelli but here's my new toy anyway.

IdahoDucker

Congratulations, NICE PIECE. I'm a big fan of revolvers, make that machinesguns,shotguns, howitzers,etc.etc. in addition. You, my friend have some brass ones, or are a sadist. I've got the model 629 in .44 mag. The "Moutain" model. Sometimes called "The Trail Boss" Its got a slick satin stainless finish. My barrel is a much more sensible 4". Yeah right! Its got a loud bark and a meaner kick. Wait till you shoot that 3"!!! You gotta post the results. Don't hit that forehead! Side note I've got a S&W 500. Its got the 10 1/2" barrel which has a compensator. (I got it to show up my buddy and his .50 AE Magnum Reaserach) In all seriousness I got mine right when it came out and got a basement price. I've only shot it twice. It is literally a flame thrower. I'll tell you this the .500 has FAR LESS kick then my 629. And I ran COR-BON's through the 500, which are notoriously hot loads. I shoot the 629 frequently (did a nice trigger job on it) and I get good groups rather consistantly. It took awhile but I've tamed the beast. Still my favorite revolver is the model 686 in .357 mag w/ 7 shot. I've got 2 I like 'em so much. (that and a great price) ( nice trigger jobs on both) As you can tell I'm a fan of S&W revolvers. There the best IMO, you shouldn't have any problems.( I won't vouch for S&W semi autos however.) Happy shooting, and knock 'em dead.

Originally posted by IdahoDucker:

629-4.jpg

S&W 629-4. .44 mag., 3" barrel, nonfluted cylinder. Hard to find model and I've been looking for almost a year. Walked into a local shop today on a whim and there it was. :cool:

I am now better prepared for my next Alaska trip. :D

Oddly enough I have one of these exact same models... Shoots nice from what I remember (hasn't been out of the safe for years) and the cool factor is super high.. If you don't mind me asking what did you give for it..?

As for the Seals question I've got a buddy assigned to team 4 and they use S&W 4inch 681 or 686 L-frame .357mag. He tells me the Sig 226 is the most common but guys can carry what they prefer ie: 1911's or Glocks. The .357 is used only in a limited role. As for the HK Mk23.. Most of them hate it since it sooo big and heavy. At least thats his opinion...

I have an older 6 and one-half inch barrel Model 29 and it is a beautiful handgun. Have you shot that 3 inch 629 much, yet. I would think the muzzle blast with full house 44 mag. loads would require some serious ear protection.

Those Mk. 23's are monsters but have the threaded barrel at the ready. Like you said MONGO the weapons used by these guys vary widely. I've heard of them using a .22s Specifically the Ruger Amphibian, which I believe was made for the SEAL teams originally. It comes in stainless or non-reflective black. Integral suppresor so mums the word. A .22 can turn your light permanantly red if used properly. (ie: by a SEAL) Lot of people aren't aware of how dangerous the .22 can be. Just a slight margin for "hit" spots.

I've had it out once and shot it 18 times and decided to stop. I am now putting together the necessary reloading equipment/supplies to tame it a bit. I want to shoot this gun a lot so I'm completely comfortable with it. Hate to be fumbling around if I ever need it up north.

Remy,

I don't intend to find out what it sounds like without ear protection. Only if I don't have a choice. Foam plugs work great for me because I can get them way in my ear. Big canals I guess. I should probably get some muffs though.

MONGO,

Lighty used at $560. The lowest I'd found was $600 and that was on an auction site and I didn't feel like sending that much money to a stranger. Was quoted $700 for a new one in the Trail Boss version if the exclusive distributor had any in stock. I believe the Trail Boss is the only S&W .44 currently being offered in 3" and it's very limited. I like the looks of it better with the shorter underlug but I had to take what I could get.

FN_FAL,

You may already know this but if your Mountain Gun has the round butt the hogue grips for the 500 will fit it. Should reduce the felt recoil as that's what it's supposed to do for the 500. I just ordered a set. I've heard some pretty stupid opinions of the .22. It becomes doubly dangerous when people think it's not much more than air gun you had as a kid. I educated a guy once buy showing him what a .22 hollow point will do to a ground squirrel. He was shocked.

Well I've been thinking on selling mine since it's not a gun I use much. I think in the long run you'll like it better than the Mountain gun. It's hard to beat the looks of the unflutted cylinder... just somthing cool about it....

Well, if you have any buddys that fall in love with it and have to have one I'll probably be selling mine soon.

IdahoDucker, that is a beutiful six gun you have there. I have read (I beleave on the s&wforum) that the hogue grips for the .500 will fit the 629 and help tame the perceived kick.

That rosco sure is pretty though, it may not be much fun to plinking with but when you do need it (say one them Idaho grizzlys start giving you a hard time) it will do the job and I do not think you will even notice the recoil. regards

Originally posted by MONGO:

As for the Seals question I've got a buddy assigned to team 4 and they use S&W 4inch 681 or 686 L-frame .357mag. He tells me the Sig 226 is the most common but guys can carry what they prefer ie: 1911's or Glocks. The .357 is used only in a limited role. As for the HK Mk23.. Most of them hate it since it sooo big and heavy. At least thats his opinion...

Well, Mongo that may be your friend's opinion, however my friends who are also officers on the teams LOVE the HK MARK 23 OHG . They've been having problems with the Sig P226 jamming in the Sand Box , because of the fine sand getting into their 15-rd. magazines.

Not so with the HK MARK 23. They have had NO problems with the firearm jamming because of the fine, almost powder-like, sand. The gun was over-built and it's proving itself in the Sand Box.