cantilever

Lloyd

what would the advantage be to buying a cantilever slug barrel over using rifled slugs in a regular smooth barrel? i was looking at buying a cantilever for this deer season but nothing that i thinking of hunting would be more than 100yds away. the new barrel is almost $400.00 here in canada and i don't know if i need it.

thanks. :confused:

The primary advantage of the cantilever would be having the scope permanently attached to the barrel, so changing back and forth to standard barrels would not require re-zeroing.

While rifled barrels offer a greater potential for accuracy, I can tell you that a smoothbore can deliver excellent results out to 125 - 150 yards with the right slugs.

If I were in your shoes, I'd see what kind of results I could get with the barrel I already had before spending the extra cash.

All you have to lose is a little time and few $$$ in slugs.

my buddy and i went to the range and fired a few slugs. we both have novas. used rifled slugs. at 50 yds (marked) we were able to take out the target of just over 1 inch circle ( a bingo dauber on card board). the shots at 50yds were using only the beeds that come on the nova barrell. i went all gung ho to buy a new barrell and then was told that for what i want to do the rifled slug is just as good. so before i spend the money on somthing that i may not need i had to ask. im still undecided but i think that the smooth barrell may just do fine. what'da you think? what are the "right slugs" in your opion?

I have to agree with Tucker 100% on this one, slugs have been a hot topic for a while in this forum, some of us are sold on the rifled slug and others swear by the sabot....with the advances made in the production of slugs as of late I do not think a person can go wrong either way! I myself like the damage a big old 12ga. 1oz. slug causes on the other end of my hog leg :D

This is really a matter of apples to oranges.

Using a rifled choke tube and slugs designed for rifled choke tubes adds another fruit to the basket.

Sure, there are some very good Foster/smoothbore combinations, but they simply fade when compared to the top end rifled barrels and sabots.

Use what fits your needs best. If 100 yards is your max, then maybe Foster slugs will work out fine.

If you are looking for 100-150, maybe think about a rifled choke tube? Remington's Buckhammer was designed for rifled choke tubes and makes a nice round hole!

For 150-250, you may want to consider a fully rifled barrel and top notch sabots.

I've shot much of both, and I my experience has been that a slug gun can never be too accurate. Where I hunt in Iowa, if you miss your first shot, you usually do not get a second shot before the posse opens up.

Last year, my SBE slug gun was used to kill a large buck at 197 yards, freehand, one shot, graveyard dead. Winchester Partition Golds clipping along at 2000 fps.

At 100 yards, the Win Parts are delivering 2392 ft.lbs, while a Foster is petering out at 1051 ft.lbs.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=SSP123&bn=5&use=7

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=SRSH12&bn=5&use=3

For me, if I'm spending $1000's on the trip, burning precious vacation days, etc., I'm going with the best combination I can afford, not the cheapest I can get away with...

mudhen - CA

i agree the one shot that you make should be made the best that it can. but if under 100yds are they both about the same. you know apples to apples. im sure that a 1oz slug at over 1000 ft.lbs will kill a deer, as dead as over 2000 ft.lbs would. but is there a difference in the accuracy?

These are all matters for you to deal with yourself.

Will 1000 lbs kill a deer?, maybe. I saw a 175" non-typical whitetail take 8 Foster slugs before going down. Four hunters spent the rest of the week bickering about who shot the deer. Basically ruined the entire trip.

On my trips to Iowa, I see many deer soak up multiple Foster hits. The sabots seemed to be much more effective.

Accuracy is usually more a matter of the shooter, not the gun.

The choices are yours...

mudhen - CA