New SBE, patterned it today, what a gun!

Scott

I just got 'my' dream gun yesterday, a 24" camo Super Black Eagle. I couldn't wait to take it out today and pattern it for the upcoming turkey season. I have had some bad experiences with auto's in the past and was worried, but what a gun!!! It cycled everything that I put in it from 2 3/4 to 3 to 3 1/2...... My manual suggests putting a few boxes through it before I try the light loads.

Anway, heres my setup. Today I shot Remington Hevi-shot, 3 1/2 inch, 1300 fps, # 6 with a Briley .675 Hevi-shot choke.

(using an actual size turkey head target)

30 yards - 51 pellets in head & neck

50 yards - 28 pellets in head & neck

70 yards - 19 pellets in head & neck (I aimed right on, but noticed that if I had aimed a little higher, I would have had even better results)

I was very, very pleased and was shooting free-hand with no rest.

Originally posted by Scott:

I just got 'my' dream gun yesterday, a 24" camo Super Black Eagle. I couldn't wait to take it out today and pattern it for the upcoming turkey season. I have had some bad experiences with auto's in the past and was worried, but what a gun!!! It cycled everything that I put in it from 2 3/4 to 3 to 3 1/2...... My manual suggests putting a few boxes through it before I try the light loads.

Anway, heres my setup. Today I shot Remington Hevi-shot, 3 1/2 inch, 1300 fps, # 6 with a Briley .675 Hevi-shot choke.

(using an actual size turkey head target)

30 yards - 51 pellets in head & neck

50 yards - 28 pellets in head & neck

70 yards - 19 pellets in head & neck (I aimed right on, but noticed that if I had aimed a little higher, I would have had even better results)

I was very, very pleased and was shooting free-hand with no rest.

That is AWESOME mine will be in tomorrow,and I can't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shooting the original SBE. I wanted to make sure I got it before our turkey season, and the SBE 2 will not be available here until later in the spring.

DJ, are you using the same Briley .675 HS choke that I mentioned? Remember, anything tighter than modified has a tendency to 'throw' the pattern when using HS. A friend of mine tried his full choke with HS and the pattern was horrible. He didn't know that he shouldn't use a tight choke with it.

I have had very similar results to Scott with my SBE and Briley Hevi-Shot choke (.675). But, in my gun the high velocity waterfowl loads patterned much better than the standard velocity loads. The waterfowl loads are 3 1/2" 1 5/8" oz #6 shot.

[ 04-07-2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: southpawshooter ]

spshooter,

I'm shooting 1 3/4 oz at 1300 fps. The Nitro Magnum High Velocity at 1 5/8 gives you 1350 fps. I may give it a try sometime just to see how it does in my gun. Is that the load you are shooting? Shooting # 6 shot, you get approx. 339 pellets with 1 5/8 and 365 with 1 3/4. I wanted to shoot 1 7/8 (391 pellets) but have only found it at 1225 fps, which is slower that I like.