What is different between M1 and M4?

Charoen

Dear Sirs,

I wonder that what is the big different between M1 and M4. Coz in Thailand most of people like M1 more than M4. But i still did not understand, since i have already used M1 and M4. There are nothing much different between them. Please help me to choose between M1 and M4, because i have to use it to protect the people.

Thank you,

hey Charoen,please forgive our young grasshopper wingbone,,he's fresh out of the academy,,since your choice is Benelli ,,,the M4 is tougher all the way around ,BUT,,money is also a consideration ,,,check your pockets to see if you can afford top shelf stuff smile.gif

Originally posted by M1014:

hey Charoen,please forgive our young grasshopper wingbone,,he's fresh out of the academy,,since your choice is Benelli ,,,the M4 is tougher all the way around ,BUT,,money is also a consideration ,,,check your pockets to see if you can afford top shelf stuff smile.gif

Can you explain how it is tougher all the way around? I think the barrel is heavier. What else makes it tougher?

I’ve carried an M-1 almost everyday for the last 13 yrs and shoot thousands of rounds every year in training and competition and the thing is very reliable. I’m not sure what is meant by “tough” either, but the M-1 has served me well under the harshest of conditions. I’ve never had one “break” yet. On one specific gun I have to have at least 15,000 rds through it. Being able to shoot “free” ammo is great ain’t it ;)…anyway…

With that said, I got a personal M-4 a few months back and love it. IMHO, the M-4 is a product improvement over the M-1, with the addition of some functional “bells and whistles”.

The biggest functional difference is obviously the gas system but…

Is the gas system on the M-4 that much more reliable or tough then the recoil operated system in the M-1…I don’t know, but I’ve had the same types of stoppages with both weapons (i.e. less then lethal stuff, some breeching rounds, and other general light loads). I guess time will tell, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to put in as many rounds with my M-4 as I have with my issued M-1. I think the bottom line is I haven’t been able to successfully shoot one type of round through one SG that the other one won’t fire either (or malfunction).

The rest in general terms are the same. Little improvements here and there, but nothing revolutionary. IMO, for 99% of owners both versions will do the job equally well. I got the M-4 over the M-1 because I thought the collapsible stock and p- rail idea was cool. I also got a great deal for it; otherwise I may not have gotten the M-4. Call me old school, but I’m not 100% sold on the gas system yet. Time will tell if it’s better/more reliable then the older recoil operated system.

Just my 2 cents, Rob

Aww...well...You can pick up the M4s anywhere from about $1200 to about $1800 USDs.....I bought my First M4 thru a LE distrib for around $1199....this last one I bought was a LE 11707..Including Both Pistol grip stocks( Sliding)& Both mag tubes.. 6 chokes $1775 by the time I got it shipped NIB...Can't say about the M1s or any other models except the M3..I own two of the M3s H&K model & new one..Got about $750 to $1100+ tied up in them..Got short & long field barrels for em

Stay Safer!!

Part of the reason for the gas system on the M4 is so that people can bolt on sights, flashlights, shell carriers, etc and not interfere with the reliability of the system. In order for the M1 to cycle properly, it must be allowed to recoil--ie the body of the gun must move back to compress an inertial spring. If you add too many accessories to the M1 you may interfere with that. The M4 operates with a gas system so you can add as many things as you'd like and it won't affect the cycling reliability.

Originally posted by M1014:

it would be a waste of pecking on the keys for me to explain why the M1014 is tougher than the already super tough M1 ,,,this site does a much better job than me,,, ;) ----------------------------------------- :cool:

Regarding the M4, this makes me question its toughness...

http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/1932.html#000006

Harrydog,

That post was because of the 4 port design which Benelli used for a short time. The four port, which was designed for "low recoil" rounds, allowed too much pressure to bleed through on full power rds.

Benelli has since stopped making the 4 port barrels. They should all be 2 port now.

I think...Benelli is switching out the older barrels for the newer one's as they come to their attention.

I think I got that right. There have been a few re-mods that Benelli has done to the M-4 line since the first one's hit the market, and sometimes I get them confused ;)

my two port design shoots everything,,,,,,,,with the saftey on,the weapon unloaded,good lighting,,open the bolt to the locked open position and look down the barrel for port confirmation,,get one of those barrel lights for better lighting ;)

[ 07-12-2006, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

Originally posted by harrydog:

That's good to know. Is there is any way to determine which port design without disassembly?

Also, does the 2 port design function reliably with low recoil loads?

My M4 doesn't or hasn't gotten to the point where it will reliably feed low recoil rounds. Others have posted that after "break-in" their's shoot pretty much anything. Mine must not be there yet. The other week I got my GF some #7 trap loads to practice with and I had many failure to feed malfunctions.

I'm sure it'll work itself out.

BTW: If you're talking low recoil 00, like the Federal Tac stuff, it'll shoot that all day long, with no problems.

Rob