recommended slugs for the SBE

SBE Joe

Hello, I have a SBE with a rifled barrel and scope. I have tried the light field slugs and have had poor results. 3 shots in a group, then 3 shots all over the paper. I have spoken to several other people with the same problems. does anyone have this exact gun? what type of slugs are you using and what are your results. Thanks. joe.

Joe, myself and many people I know have had better results with the 1400 to 1600 fps Federal 3" Barnes expanders. With a 1 in 24 twist barrel, the high velocity (1900 fps) seem to produce more erratic groups. Slow em down and youll see a difference. Also remamber a slug barrel is similar to a rifle, too many shots, get it too hot and it'll start throwing them. Think of it this way...when you hunt, your barrel is cold or at least cool. So sight it in that way. Let it cool every couple of shots.

I was told that you should shoot a 3'' shell if your slug barrel is chambered for it. And yes it does make sense about the heat of the barrel. I shot 4 shots in the bull, let the gun sit, and then took 3 more shoots that were all over the place. When I was at the range, another guy with the same gun was having problems as well. then a 3rd guy with a different gun and 2' 3/4 lightfields also had the same problems. I think lightfield is on good in certain guns. I will try the Federals's, I heard good things about them.

Thanks for your help.

Joe.

All the "only shoot 3" if chambered for 3"" is crap.

It is a minor gap before the rifling kicks in.

Shoot 3" if you want, but not because it is any more accurate than 2.75".

Everyone I know shoots 2.75" only.

My SBE prefers 2.75" Winchester Platinum Tips. 3" groups freehand at 70 yards. My buddies like the Winchester Partition Gold.

My rifled SBE did not like the Lightfieds either.

Second best after the Plats were the new Remington Buckhammer. It's all lead, but it is very accurate in my SBE. The Barnes were ok, but nothing special.

Shot a small buck in Iowa, from a sitting position, at 88 yards on Tuesday. He dropped like a stone.

Good luck!

mudhen - CA

i have found that the shotguns are like most rifles and even pistols and blackpowder guns that they will shoot one bullet over another and it may take a bit of playing around with to find out what your gun will shoot best. i have always trusted winchester ammo and have shot it for many years out of my guns i have owned. there is a roudn it will shoot it is just going to take some time and also i have shot both 2 3/4 " and 3" and sometimes the gun will shoot one better over the other. it's all trial and error pard

rob k

Was it breezy at all outside when you shot the Lightfields? The reason I ask is that my SBE will punch them straight through the same hole at 100 yards, unless there is any breeze. The last time I had it at the range there was about a 5-10mph crosswind and the shots were close to 6-10 inches off center and about another 4 inches high or low. Because of this I am going back to the Winchester Partition Gold 2 3/4". They get 2-3 inch groups in the same wind conditions, and about 4 inch groups at 175.

On a side note I shot a small buck with a Lightfield at 30 yards (scope, off hand) right between the eyes. All that was left of the head was a bottom jaw and two ears, literally.

Yeah, the Platinum Tips shoot great too along with the Brenneke Super Sabot. These were third best out of by gun after Lightfields and Partition Golds. I don't know what to say about the Lightfields anymore. When you get sighted in for the Platinums you may want to try out a box of Partition Golds. They will shoot about 2-3 inches higher and might group better, but maybe not. Only your gun knows!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, Finally shot those Platinum tip slugs. I'll tell you I was very impressed. I grouped 5 shots at 50 yrds the size of a baseball. Good considering i was fighting a strong cross wind. the slug only dropped about an inch and a half at 100 yrds and drifted 2 1/2 inches to the right due to the 10mph cross wind. In all I think this is a nice Non violent bullet that shoots great out of our guns. Thanks for the tip.

Joe.