Collapsible Stock Mod for M1014?

Flame Red

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am outraged. I called one of the part suppliers that Benelli requires 'non-dealers' to use. They were very kind, and were going to special order the necessary parts from Benelli smile.gif

They call me back and tell me that Benelli refuses to release LEO parts to the public.

So, can anyone recommend an excellent gun-smith / machinist that can make the necessary changes. I do not want this thing of beauty reuined, but I want it convertee before they decide to put the ban back into effect!

Well, I contacted a gunsmith in Tampa about making this modification. Sent him an email with lots of pictures. Says to bring it over and he will look at it to give me a verdict. Says he has every machine tool needed to do it.

This place does excellent work, so I can trust him.

Now another question. If can does make it fully collapsable, it would be legal, right? The ban is history.

What if they put the ban back into effect some day. I guess I will have to convert in back or maybe it would be grandfathered in?

Benelli's behavior IS outragous. I called them to inquire about a replacement folding stock or parts to do it and the rep was rude and completely unhelpful. Now that the AWB has expired there is no

reason that they can not sell us collapsable stock.

I told him - don't I would get it to collapse without Benelli's help. Whoever gets it done first please post the details !!

I sent an email to Benelli's customer support inquiring as to whether they were going to start selling M4s to civilians with collapsing stocks now that the ban has expired. Here is their response:

Hi CC,

We have now released the LE version of the M4 to the public. It does come

with the fixed stock and you would need to purchase the collapsible stock

additionally. The part number for the stock is 70085.

Thank you for inquiring.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

So basically it looks like they're going to start selling M4s that were previously LE only but they're going to force people to buy a collapsing stock separately. Sounds like a load of bull if you ask me...

Wooh! Wait a minute here. Accourding to this Benelli web site:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m4.tpl

"M4 Skeleonized Pistol Grip Stock (#70085)"

I don't think that is the same one that comes on the M1014? I think the recoil can needs to be different.

I am sending my M1014 to the gunsmith next week. He thinks he might be able to convert it. smile.gif

(I just hope he does not ruin it)

forget about that silly assault ban,lets get it on and get it done,I'm certainly not going to worry about the future,,,because its not Now,the part # your looking at is not what your thinking,and if that sillly ban comes back,Tough **** for them.--------------------how much for the machine work$$$$$$$,heck we will all line up and give the man some bussiness---------best to ya'''alllllllll---)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))M1014(((((((((((((( ;) 126672.jpg

I am not a FFL holder/dealer, but I thought there was a ban that affected IMPORTED shotguns and some certian other firearms circa 1989 that prevented guns from having features similar to the AWB design (you can have an extended magazine OR a pistol grip but not both or something like that). I do know for a fact that the Benelli M3 folders were affected by this and that is why they now sell for $2,500 instead of $1,200 like they should...

I've gotten most of this info from reputable source on the forums at GunBroker.com but I don't have the best memory but I think I have the overall idea right. Anyone know the specifics?

That appears to be a TacStar barrel shroud that sells for about $25 or less. It's black oxide steel, and it has a friction fit toward the back end where the barrel meets receiver, and the front end clamps down on the barrel with a couple of screws as shown in the pic. Looking into getting one myself.

M1014, did you have any fit issues, such as where the forestock contacts the barrel and shroud? I'll bet that after shooting 25-30 rounds, that shroud would be mighty helpful.

the barrell shroud is a plastic type you find at gunshows,the material is easier to manipulate and much lighter,they sell for about $15,some shimming and trimming and you"re home.Definitely saves on the hand burns after alot of rounds.-----------------peace to all my M1014 brothers and sisters-----------------M1014--------- :D ------------------------------------------------------- ;)

Originally posted by bambihunter:

I am not a FFL holder/dealer, but I thought there was a ban that affected IMPORTED shotguns and some certian other firearms circa 1989 that prevented guns from having features similar to the AWB design (you can have an extended magazine OR a pistol grip but not both or something like that). I do know for a fact that the Benelli M3 folders were affected by this and that is why they now sell for $2,500 instead of $1,200 like they should...

I've gotten most of this info from reputable source on the forums at GunBroker.com but I don't have the best memory but I think I have the overall idea right. Anyone know the specifics?

Wow, I had no clue. I would hope that the Gunsmith would point out to me if this were illegal before I shipped it to him. I know other smiths in the past were very knowledgable about what was legal and not and would point it out. They like to keep their good customers out of jail. And I certainly have no desire to be some Bubba's b1tch at Levenworth.

I ordered the TacStar shroud, that is sooo cool.

My M1014 is at the smith's now. I'll call him in a few days and see if can make the modification. I certainly will post results here. Hope it is legal now, and that he does not screw up my honey!

Here is some interesting info about the 1989 bill that was put up for a vote (not passed):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c101:H.R.+825:

That link indicates it was not passed. I did some more searches using the keyword shotgun and import and found some bills, none of which seemed to pass.

Here is an interesting link from the NRA:

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=80

22. Benelli M1 Super 90 Defense Shotgun

23. Benelli M3 Super 90 Shotgun

Were banned by the AWB. I guess they are legal now that is it history.

I was told today by Benelli's Customer Service that they do not have a collapsible stock for the M1014. They said that they do have one for the M4. But the M4 collapsible stock will not fit on the M1014. They went on to say that Benelli does not make the parts needed for the M1014. Can anyone comment on these statements?

It would seem that what needs to be modified is the Recoil Spring Tube (049J). The coments from "M1014 wear marks" dated April 4, 2004 should be of help.

And I thought that the end of the AWB would solve this delemma!

Considering I can put an M4 stock on my M1014, the current config it's in, I'd say that's fishy.

Sounds fishy, but I think you're right.

Found this where I normally buy Benelli parts:

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/BenelliStockForends.htm

Look for the 70085, look at the fine print.

The skeletonized stock will only collapse on the LE gun. The civy guns won't. But you're paying 170 bucks for the stock and the pistol grip.

Looks like you need the LE recoil can. There was a P/N posted here.

Again here's a related post. The Skeletonized stock will only collapse on a LE version of the M4.

LINK

[ 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: dport ]

Hunh! Well, how do you like that? So, it turns out that the info I had all along from Benelli was correct. Can only match a 70085 to a 11707 and get the collapsible feature of the stock. I hope those of you with M1014's can modify either your gun or the 70085 to make this collapse.

what can be so diferrent in the recoil tube area of the M4 from an M1014????????they are only different in barrell and flag,the rest is of a modular construction which is what the gun is built around,------------M1014((((((((((((((((( :confused: :rolleyes: :cool:

[ 09-24-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]