California Shotgun Legality

Chris Naud

Okay, I've spent most of my evening reading through forums and state and federal code, and still have not found a satisfactory answer to my question. I live in California. I wish to purchase either a Benelli M1 Tactical or a Benelli M4 shotgun, with pistol grip, with 7+1 magazine. Can I do this legally?

I'd love to have a folding stock, but it seems that to have both a folding stock AND a pistol grip is illegal in California. That's fine, forget the folding stock. But that's the only California-specific piece of law I can find that applies. I keep seeing ads for "California-legal" versions of these guns, but have been unable to find what law they're referring to. Specifically, I have seen no California laws governing magazine capacity, only federal ones.

So, are there any laws out there (state or federal) that prohibit me from owning the described guns?

Many thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Originally posted by Chris Naud:

Okay, I've spent most of my evening reading through forums and state and federal code, and still have not found a satisfactory answer to my question. I live in California. I wish to purchase either a Benelli M1 Tactical or a Benelli M4 shotgun, with pistol grip, with 7+1 magazine. Can I do this legally?

I'd love to have a folding stock, but it seems that to have both a folding stock AND a pistol grip is illegal in California. That's fine, forget the folding stock. But that's the only California-specific piece of law I can find that applies. I keep seeing ads for "California-legal" versions of these guns, but have been unable to find what law they're referring to. Specifically, I have seen no California laws governing magazine capacity, only federal ones.

So, are there any laws out there (state or federal) that prohibit me from owning the described guns?

Many thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Chris,

I suggest that you contact the NRA - specifically the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA). They are well versed on the gun laws of the U.S. The grass roots hotline number is 800-392-8683 as posted on their web site (http://www.nraila.org). ILA publishes lots of valuable information.

Good Luck,

Nelli Girl

I agree with Agent smith

I was given a +2 mag extension for my M1 and was told it was legal to install now. This coming from a multiple 3gun champ i am guessing he knows CA law because he lives here. He wouldnt risk his reputation if it was unlawfull for me to install it.

infact i am installing it after i typle this smile.gif

Andy

[ 11-07-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: AndyinSoCAL ]