Life Expectancy of Democracy

Butch-M

Other than second amendment rights; this may not have much to do with anything here ... but I figured it would be a break from all this "Black Rifle" stuff. :D :D :D

13 States [ WE ARE 30 YRS PASS THE AVERAGE LIFE OF A DEMOCRACY ]

I thought this was very interesting.

Subject: 13 States

About the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in

1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of

Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some

2000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a

permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until

the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts

from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority alwaysvotes

for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury,

with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy,

which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations, from the

beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years,

these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;

2. From spiritual faith to great courage;

3. From courage to liberty;

4. From liberty to abundance;

5. From abundance to complacency;

6. From complacency to apathy;

7. From apathy to dependence;

8. From dependence back into bondage "

Professor Joseph Olson, of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul,

Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000

Presidential election:

Population of counties won by: Gore: 127 million; Bush: 143 million

Square miles of land won by: Gore: 580,000; Bush: 2,427,000

States won by: Gore: 19 Bush: 29

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Gore: 13.2 Bush: 2.1

was mostly the land owned by the tax-paying citizens of this great country.

Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned

tenements and living off government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the

"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy,

with some 40 percent of the nation's population already having reached the

"governmental dependency" phase.

Pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake,

knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

"Population of counties won by: Gore: 127 million; Bush: 143 million

Square miles of land won by: Gore: 580,000; Bush: 2,427,000

States won by: Gore: 19 Bush: 29

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Gore: 13.2 Bush: 2.1

was mostly the land owned by the tax-paying citizens of this great country.

Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned

tenements and living off government welfare..."

I hope this isn't saying that Bush (or the GOP for that matter) is the answer...

How 'bout this..

5. From abundance to thievery;

6. From thievery to bribery;

7. From bribery to dependence;

8. From dependence back into bondage .

:mad:

[ 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Husker13 ]

The problem is that people depend to much on government for there own well being. Like when there is a hurricane coming people turn into drones to be told what to do and where to go. Or worse after a hurricane. When the government is not there or fails the only person you have to depend on for your own well being is yourself. To me that is what the second amendment is all about. I just love those security alarm companies’ commercials that show a house being broking into and scared women on the phone with some ******* making $10.00 / hour who could give a ****. "Yes mam help is on the way you will be ok now" What he really should tell her is “I have called the cops for you and I hope the person breaking into your house will wait the 45+ minutes that it will take for the cops to get there before he rapes or kills you. Good luck mam, you should have bought a gun and learned how to use it"

Originally posted by GRISTLE:

Wow...I'm paying some hefty taxes, since I apparently live in a government owned tenement. Thanks welfare! Couldn't have gotten that new P7M8 with out ya! :mad:

Must.... distract... from political squabbles... (gasp)... with... uhhh (oh yeah!)... pics of TOYS!

p7.jpg

I give you the finest concealed-carry handgun in the known universe, the HK P7. And of course we're not talking about the M8 (which kicks major-league butt in its own right) but the true original, the one and only... PSP. And yes, it's Trijicon-ed. And no, it's not one of those purple retreads. :cool:

[ 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Lupo ]

I give you the finest concealed-carry handgun in the known universe, the HK P7. And of course we're not talking about the M8 (which kicks major-league butt in its own right) but the true original, the one and only... PSP. And yes, it's Trijicon-ed. And no, it's not one of those purple retreads. :cool:

Whats that pistol chamberd for?

Originally posted by dandy:

Whats that pistol chamberd for?

Taxation and TYRANNY! Food additives and the Trilateral Commission!! Uhhh, whoops... sorry...

9mm. The P7 was chambered for a number of rounds, but the combination of 9mm, low cap (no stagger) magazine, squeeze-cocker, and the heel mag release mechanism (the latter distinguishing the PSP from the M8 with the Browning-style release) makes this the primo slim carry gun.

Of course the best defense pistol of all time is the Colt Gov't m1911 in .45acp. But you all knew that already... ;)

Origins: The

piece quoted above has been circulating on the Internet since shortly after the November 2000 presidential election. We haven't examined it ourselves yet, but Mike Powell of Kennewick, Washington, was kind enough to send us his analysis, which we're happy to include here.

1. The population of the counties and square miles of area won by each Bush and Gore appear to be accurate. They are consistent with the election-result map published by USA Today on 20 November 2000.

2. The number of states won by each candidate is wrong, but the numbers given (29 and 19) imply this piece was written before the results of the Florida and New Mexico vote-counts were determined. The final tallies were 30 states for Bush and 20 for Gore.

3. The quote from "Alexander Tyler" is very likely fictitious. His name was actually "Lord Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler," and he was a Scottish historian/professor who wrote several books in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

However, there is no record of The Fall of the Athenian Republic or The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic in the Library of Congress, which has several other titles by Tytler. This quote has also been cited as being from Tytler's Universal History or from his Elements of General History, Ancient and Modern, books that do exist. These books seem the most likely source of the quote, as they contain extensive discussions of the political systems in historic civilizations, including Athens. Universal History was published after, and based upon, Elements of General History, which was a collection of Professor Tytler's lecture notes.

Tytler's book, Universal history, from the creation of the world to the beginning of the eighteenth century, is available for viewing and searching on-line. The complete text was searched for each of the following phrases:

Athenian Republic

democracy

generous gifts

public treasury

loose fiscal

fiscal

bondage

200 years

two hundred years

spiritual faith

In no case was text identified that was remotely similar in words or intent to the alleged Tytler quote.

4. Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University is not the source of any of the statistics or the text attributed to him. Professor Olson was contacted (by me) via e-mail, and he confirmed that he had no authorship or involvement in this matter. And, as Fayette Citizen editor Dave Hamrick wrote back in January 2001:

I really enjoyed one recent message that was circulated extremely widely, at least among conservatives. It gave several interesting "facts" supposedly compiled by statisticians and political scientists about the counties across the nation that voted for George Bush and the ones that voted for Al Gore in the recent election.

Supposedly, the people in the counties for Bush had more education, more income, ad infinitum, than the counties for Gore.

I didn't have time to check them all out, but I was curious about one item in particular... the contention that the murder rate in the Gore counties was about a billion times higher than in the Bush counties.

This was attributed to a Professor Joseph Olson at the Hamline University School of Law. I never heard of such a university, but went online and found it. And Prof. Olson does exist.

"Now I'm getting somewhere," I thought.

But in response to my e-mail, Olson said the "research" was attributed to him erroneously. He said it came from a Sheriff Jay Printz in Montana. I e-mailed Sheriff Printz, and guess what? He didn't do the research either, and didn't remember who had e-mailed it to him.

In other words, he got the same legend e-mailed to him and passed it on to Olson without checking it out, and when Olson passed it on, someone thought it sounded better if a law professor had done the research, and so it grew.

Who knows where it originally came from, but it's just not true.

5. The county-by-county murder-rate comparison presented in this piece is wrong.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ), in the year 2000 the national murder rate was about 5.5 per 100,000 residents. Homicide data by county for 1999 and 2000 can be downloaded from the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NAJCD), and the counties won by Gore and Bush can be identified using the county-by-county election results made available by CNN. (The NACJD provides not only the number of reported murders for each county, but also the population for each.) The average murder rate in the counties won by Gore vs. the rate in the counties won by Bush can be determined from this data.

By calculating the murder rate for each county and then taking the averages, we find a murder rate (defined as number of murders per 100,000 residents) of about 5.2 for the "average" Gore county and 3.3 for the average Bush county. But since people, rather than counties, commit murders, a more appropriate approach is to calculate the total number of murders in the counties won by each candidate and divide that figure by the total number of residents in those counties. This more appropriate method yields the following average murder rates in counties won by each candidate:

Gore: 6.5

Bush: 4.1

There is a distinct difference between these two numbers, but it is nowhere near as large as the quoted e-mail message states (i.e., 13.2 for Gore vs. 2.1 for Bush). Note that the average of these two figures is 5.3, which, as expected, is very close to the reported national murder rate of 5.5.

Last updated: 28 January 2004

Source: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp

Tell you what ... I get a lot of "stuff" every day that sounds logical and believable. The Internet started out as a great source of information that hasn't been manipulated and fabricated by the media in their quest to inflict their agenda on us ... but it's coming to the point where I'm hesitant to pass anything on because some conservatives are starting to get as bad as them. I guess it's part of the balancing formula or something, but it's disconcerting nonetheless. I have a few friends who like "stockplayer;" dig through and prove out things. A tip of the hat to them! smile.gif