Scopes for turkey hunting overrated?

Chrzion

Oh you got to listen to old Wingbone on this one bro!!...go get you a red dot scope and put it right up on top of that old shotgun man!!!. best thing I ever did for my turkey hunting, I would suggest a dot scope that projects the green dot that seems to really stand out on that old gobbler when he is sneakin around your off side smile.gif

I don't use one, but I think they are fine if you really think you need one.

They are also fine if your gun needs one to pattern correctly.

My big problem is that I really enjoy the whole process of watching the bird(s) all the way in. I like watching flocks, multiple toms, etc.

I can think of 3-4 toms in the past few years that I could not have killed with a scope. A Kansas double comes to mind where there is noooooo way I could have located and shot the second bird while trying to view him in a scope.

But, if I lived in a state with one tom limits or real dense cover, I might consider a scope or a holo-sight type sight which I like much better than traditional scopes...

mudhen - CA

thats why I suggest the "red dot" sight or like mudhen said a holo-type sight, you do not want any magnification....you just need that dot glowing out there!.....I was watching a hunting video the other day and even the Durey brothers are using the red dots for turkey hunting!!.....good luck this fall man :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have been trying to find a way of adding a rail to the top of my SBE II for my aimpoint comp m3.

Are there any picatinny mounting options out there for SBEII's???? I found a weaver rail from midwayusa but it wont' work with my ARMS stuff as they are picatinny. (and it seem a rather flimsy piece of junk).

Help help Im being repressed!

adam

Originally posted by wingbone:

thats why I suggest the "red dot" sight or like mudhen said a holo-type sight, you do not want any magnification....you just need that dot glowing out there!.....I was watching a hunting video the other day and even the Durey brothers are using the red dots for turkey hunting!!.....good luck this fall man :D

I put a rd dot on my Super Nova (Steady Grip) last year. I had a turkey see me raise my gun and started to run. I couldn't get the dot on him so I didn't get that big o'l Tom. I took it off and started lining up the two Benelli beads and I killed two nice turkeys with the Nova after that. For a still shot they are great but when you have to follow a moving target they can be a problem. My 2 Cents.