recoil spring removal

DukDog

i know this has been discussed before. on the newer sbe11, do you need to heat nut on the end of tube to remove it.if so how much and can a guy just use a heat gun or does it have to be a propane torch?i am just doing an end of the season cleaning and thought i should oil spring and tube.

No heat is required on the SBE II or the M2 to remove the plug on the end of the recoil tube. If it is stainless steel or silver in color then it is the new style which is a nylon lock screw, kinda like a nylon lock nut. It is tight but there is no loctite on these new models. If you use heat you will melt the plastic into the threads. So now to you new folks, there is no excuse for not cleaning or oiling your new gun properly. lol

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I am now confused. I called cust. service today on this issue because I cannot get the bolt off from the bottom of the recoil tube to clean the spring and plunger. (SBE II). Cust. serv. said to apply a little heat. If it is indeed a nyloc type threaded bolt that goes into the bottom of the recoil spring tube, this could cause damage to it. Do all SBE II's have a nyloc bolt, and is it standard thread? (CCW to loosen)

Its easy to take out the recoil spring and clean it.

Mine wasnt too dirty anyway, but Benelli says to clean it at least once a yr. Seems like they ought to put the procedure in the owners manual if its highly recommended.... which it is.

ARCHER