LIGHT LOADS IN THE SBE,SBE2

grey dog

HEY ALL, I STILL LOOKING TO BUY THE ALL AROUND SHOTGUN . CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE SBE OR SBE2 CAN CYCLE LIGHT LOADS? I WANT TO BUY 1 GUN THAT I CAN HUNT SQUIRREL, RABBIT,GROUSE AND TURKEY WITH. IF IT WILL CYCLE THE LIGHT ONES, WHICH HAVE YOU SHOT?

[ 03-12-2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: grey dog ]

Mostly my SBE shoots 3 1/2" magnum steel shells for waterfowl, however, I did take it for pheasants once using 2 3/4" 6's....no problems. I also use it at the trap range, firing 2 3/4" 7 1/2's...again, no problems, ever.

Now for my personal opinion...you will be hard-pressed to find a better all-around semi-auto.

I hunt turkey, waterfowl, and dove with my SBE. I've also shot many rounds of sporting clays with it. I can say I've never had any problems with any load! I'm looking into the Supersport for sporting clays so I can save my hunting gun for that, hunting.

hey grey dog,

the SBE is about the most verstile shotgun i have ever owned.

the only problems i have ever had is with those cheap winchester super speed 7/8oz (1265fps), it will shoot 3 out of 5. it will function flawlessly with any 1oz load and heavier. i have shoot many 3 1/2in and heavy 2 3/4in and never a problem.

it is a great gun!

Mine will cycle everything 100% except it won't correctly cycle the el-cheapo 7/8 oz loads. I use the cheap 1 1/8 oz loads and have for 10 years and haven't ever had it not work.

On the light loads, mine will eject the empty, but doesn't pull one from the magazine (just closes on an empty chamber).

I've said it before, my SBE will honestly be the very last gun I ever get rid of (unless MAYBE to replace it with the SBE2, but I doubt it).

for all practical purposes 3 Dram Equivilent | 1 - 1-1/8oz. loads should work fine ...

From Benelli's Troubleshooting page:

Problem: What is the lightest load that my gun will shoot?

1. That varies depending on the type of gun. Generally, the following standards apply: The Sport will shoot down to a 3dr 7/8oz load; the M1-90 and Montefeltro 12-ga. will shoot a 2 3/4dr 1oz load; the Super Black Eagle will shoot a 3dr 11/8oz load; and the Montefeltro 20-ga. will shoot a 2 1/2dr 7/8oz load.

NOTE: Due to the fact that Benelli uses an inertia recoil operating system, modifications such as backboring, porting, and lengthening the forcing cone have a detrimental effect on cycling.

My brothers SBE is able to cycle the previously mentioned 7/8oz. Winchester Super-Speed loads and mine hasn't doesn't bother me a bit.

[ 03-26-2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: birddog ]

Sounds like you need a gun that can handle the lighter loads. You might have to settle with a Montefeltro a good 3" gun. I don't see waterfowl on your list, you may only need a 3" gun or if you don't need quick cycling, how about a Nova. Semi's really only shine in waterfowling. My SBE doesn't handle the cheap 7/8 oz loads well.